Trail Master Fighter?

Discussion in 'Cold Steel Knives' started by Man with no name, May 31, 2017.

1. lonestar1979

lonestar1979

Mar 2, 2014
    Trailmaster and recon scout are some of best fixed blades in my book especially San Mai models,but carbon versions are excellent too.the only shortcoming is handle and if you can make handle yourself or have someone make you one is one of best knives around!

2. Brad "the butcher"

Brad "the butcher"

Dec 15, 2008
    I would not call it razor sharp just a thick working edge for bone.....works great on firesteel

DocJD likes this.
  3. Charlie Mike

Charlie Mike Sober since 1-7-14 (still a Paranoid Nutjob) Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 1, 2000
    IMG_20180119_145952_337.jpg

I got one as payment for a punch dagger build... I modded it. Even better fighter now.

The Whip, jux t, d762nato and 4 others like this.
  4. Mike Sastre

Mike Sastre Custom Crafted Concealex Sheaths Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 23, 1999
    Nice job!! Handle looks great and highly functional.

Charlie Mike likes this.
  5. Charlie Mike

Charlie Mike Sober since 1-7-14 (still a Paranoid Nutjob) Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 1, 2000
    Thanks! This is the first time doing a hidden pinned tang.

6. ManRay

ManRay Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 9, 2014
    Here's a trailmaster I reprofiled and put a mirror edge on. It would be a formidable fighter to say the least.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Kels73

Kels73 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 20, 2012
    @Man with no name This is an older thread, but I was recently watching "Bowie Basics" by Jim Keating where he comments on the Trail Master, so I thought I would share. In that video, Keating speaks very highly of the Trail Master, stating that its size, balance, and handle shape make it perfectly suited to the style of bowie fighting that he teaches.

So, yes. The Trail Master will fight.

Man with no name, DocJD and The Whip like this.
  8. Man with no name

Man with no name

Jun 24, 2015
    As the late Bill Jordan used to say about the guns he liked, "It will do to ride the river with." No doubt the Trail Mater would do so as well.

A Bowie knife I would like to see Cold Steel make at some future time would be a mid size Natchez with a 9" blade, everything else remaining the same:brass guard, coffin shaped micatra handle with the swell in the middle. Also a beefed up Marauder. Thicker blade, micarta handle and a steel sub-hilt.

Kels73 likes this.
  9. mark70

mark70

Apr 8, 2017
    the bowie trail master marauder etc. they have a rectangular kraton handle, which makes it more difficult to handle knives in combat they would slow down the maneuvering speed considerably, tiring the arms too much because the considerable weight is concentrated on the blade

:) the LEATHERNECK-SF D2 is the best cold-steel combat knife and one of the best in the world the handle in kraton of the oval is perfectly shaped, rotate the knife like a pencil is exceptional

:) the weight is concentrated in the tang, in this way the blade is particularly light that you can wiggle the right / left knife with considerable speed without excessively tiring the arm

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  10. Mike Sastre

Mike Sastre Custom Crafted Concealex Sheaths Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 23, 1999
    Bowie fighting techniques are different from what you use with smaller knives like the Leatherneck SF. They take advantage of the reach and the weight gives it added power.

jux t, Man with no name and Kels73 like this.