Tribal lock blade play

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Pollack, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Pollack

Pollack

Feb 28, 2021
    I recently picked up a Case Tribal lock. It is a beautiful knife, but I didn't notice it has some blade play when closed. The blade can easily be pushed side to side where it touches one liner and almost touches the other. It locks up fine and it doesn't affect how it will be used. I guess this is not that uncommon, but I'm hoping their might be a fairly easy remedy.

Best regards,

2. Wheat_

Wheat_

Nov 15, 2019
    This is just how lockbacks are, not all but most of them in my experience. It shouldn't really affect anything.

cbach8tw likes this.
  3. Pollack

Pollack

Feb 28, 2021
    Thanks for the reply Wheat_, that was my suspicion as well. I have a new found appreciation for traditional pocket knives and I have very little experience with them.

Best regards,

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  4. Bastler

Bastler Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2020
    Pictures, man. We need to see your new knife. Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Un-Chained likes this.
  5. Riz!

Riz! Gold Member Gold Member

May 5, 2014
    Does it have the play when open?

6. Pollack

Pollack

Feb 28, 2021
    No blade play when open. Also, I used a rag, magazine, and 3 inch c clamp and pet on it a little bit. It aligned the blade and took out some of the play. I bet if I continued it would be helpful; however, it is likely well within spec now. I don't want to cause any damaged, it has the carbine fiber scales. A bit disheartening for a new $80 knife. Thanks to all who replied.

Best regards,

7. Ice Tigre

Ice Tigre

Dec 17, 2004
    I honestly doubt you'd find a several hundred dollar lockback that doesn't have a bit of side to side play when closed... Just nature of the action, they all seem a tad "loose".

The fix is to stop pushing sideways on the blade. ;) :p

8. Matt_WY

Matt_WY Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 30, 2018
    Unfortunately this type of blade play is somewhat common for Case knives. I’ve had several non-lockbacks with this type of blade play when closed. Once opened the blade feels solid. If it really bugs you, you can send it in for warranty work.

9. Riz!

Riz! Gold Member Gold Member

May 5, 2014
    To me blade play when closed doesnt matter. Play open is different. Be careful removing the closed blade play as it may tighten the open blade to the point that it becomes irritatingly difficult to open or close.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    Un-Chained likes this.
  10. Modoc ED

Modoc ED Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Keep fiddle-fartin/squeezing around with it and you'll break the invisible seam between the pivot pin and bolster.:eek: Then you'll have the ugly pivot pin staring at you totally ruining the smooth, svelte, beauty of the knife.:rolleyes: Then you'll only have yourself to blame for having a less than attractive brand new $80.00 knife.

11. Will Power

Will Power Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Personally, tend to agree with Ed on this one. If it displays no play when open then what's really the problem? I have a number of lockbacks that do this but I don't care, provided they lock up properly & don't exhibit blade play when in use. Have some French Laguioles that can move slightly from side to side when closed but the work correctly when open.

Just use your knife and revel in it. :thumbsup:

12. Pollack

Pollack

Feb 28, 2021
    All replies are sound advice, thanks for taking the time.

Best regards,

13. Pollack

Pollack

Feb 28, 2021
    I'm not disputing any of that post, jut trying to understand where the seam is.

Best regards,

14. 555

Feb 5, 2007
    Just pulled my Queen Mountain Man out of my pocket and it does the same movement, it's been carried and used for years without interfering with it's performance and utility.

Riz! likes this.
  15. ccsavage

ccsavage Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 23, 2014
    I've had expensive customs like this. I don't like it either.

16. Ice Tigre

Ice Tigre

Dec 17, 2004
    Around the circumference of the pin, centered(more or less) in the bolster.

When the knife is assembled the pins are peened over, mushroomed into a slightly chamfered hole in the bolster. Then ground flush and polished.

The grinding and polishing the pin and bolster together blends/somewhat smears the metal together and it makes an invisible seam where they meet.

Any time you adjust the pivot afterwards by squeezing the bolsters together, or even if you tried to loosen one and spread them, you change the distance from one side to the other.

But the pin can't shorten or lengthen with it.

This movement of the bolsters but not the pin will sperate them ever so slightly, and then you will see the line where they meet, usually about an 1/8" hair line circle on the bolster.

It only has to move a few thousandths of an inch for this to happen.

Go far enough and its a seem you can feel, where(with tightening the joint) the pin becomes a little proud of the bolster.

I'll see if I can find one of my knives with the pin visible and post a pic.. :)

Modoc ED and Will Power like this.
  17. Ice Tigre

Ice Tigre

Dec 17, 2004
    Ha, Wow, have more of these than I thought I did!

This knife was disassembled, reassembled again with blended invisible pins, but was too tight, so it had to be loosened, thus the pin is recessed ever so slightly making it visible.

[​IMG]

This pin is also slightly recessed, so the knife is looser than it was when made, and as far as I know the knife has never been adjusted, its just natural from use--I might have tweaked the blade sideways when open at some point, levering the pivot open slightly.

[​IMG]

This one came to me with a blade bent and a loose pivot that I squeezed tighter;

[​IMG]

This one is interesting, I actually hadn't ever noticed before that you can see the pin, and it is dead flush, can't even feel with a fingernail. It's never been adjusted, and I doubt tweaked in use. I think the pin and bolster materials are just wearing/scratching at a different rate, making a shadow of pin visible.

Sometimes a knife adjusted ever so slightly too much will look like this, a barely visible difference. This could probably be polished and disappear again.

[​IMG]

This one is near 100 years old so no telling what its had done, but both pins are visible, one recessed a tad visually but you can't feel it. The other is dead flush feels smooth, and showing another interesting effect, where the pins are a different material than the bolsters, they patina different and then are visible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one is a little different, a full custom frame, bolster and pin, where it was all fit and polished seemless then the pin rotated during assembly of the rest of the knife. Its dead flush, but now the seem is visible because it moved.

[​IMG]

Modoc ED and JohnDF like this.
  18. Pollack

Pollack

Feb 28, 2021
    Ok I got it, thanks for taking the time to post some pics. I'm guessing it is of little consequence when you can see it or feel it. Can some 600 or 1K grit sand paper be used?

Best regards,

19. Modoc ED

Modoc ED Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Thanks to @Ice Tigre for the explanation and pictures. Very good job.:thumbsup:

@Pollack - Yes, you can sand/polish it out. Don't fret about the minimal blade play when closed. As others have said; it is not uncommon and does not affect the knifes utility.

20. Pollack

Pollack

Feb 28, 2021
    I know it, it really isn't that big of a deal. I am learning a lot though!

Best regards,