True blue? Or try new?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Wild Willie, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Wild Willie

Wild Willie Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2018
    So, I've been EDCing a Douk Douk for over a year... I recently (as in yesterday) received my first crk small sebenza. I picked the one in question up off the exchange here, and actually have one on order directly from Chris Reeve. I know this is like comparing a Honda Civic to a beemer, but I'd like to see what some of you would do. The Douk Douk has been a great every day driver so to speak, it's always gotten me where I need to be, and with it's own charm and character. This sebenza feels like hopping behind the wheel of a tricked out sports car. What do you folks think, stick with the true blue? Or give the sebenza a try for a while? I'd like to see pictures of some pocket worn Chris Reeves, just to see if they develop the character that I enjoy seeing.

Here's a side by side... 16009763923991691679896.jpg

2. Rich S

Rich S

Sep 23, 2005
    Why pay big $$$$ when an inexpensive knife does the same thing? Not me.

Skar likes this.
  3. hhmoore

hhmoore Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2014
    Did you buy the small 21 to use? If so, use it.
    The real question is what you are going to do about the pending order with CRK....

Wild Willie and Eversion like this.
  4. Dadpool

Dadpool Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2015
    I think you may be the first person ever to own a Douk-Douk and be hesitant about switching to a Sebenza. :D

While I've never been in this exact spot, I know when I first branch out from an "old friend" tool, book, game, or whatever it might be, I experience a bit of that same hesitation. What if I like the new thing more?

Over the years I've found that sometimes the new thing fires the old thing, and I'm wistful about the old thing but recognize that the new thing really is better for me. Sometimes I return to the old thing, having discovered that I still prefer it. Sometimes I just enjoy them both. I get how you feel, at least a little bit, and IMO you should try the Sebenza. If you try it and don't love it, you shouldn't have much trouble recouping nearly its full asking price.

This is also perhaps a good spot for my favorite Bob Loveless quote: "A knife is a tool, and if we don't treat our tools with a certain familiar contempt, we lose perspective."

On the well-worn Sebenza front, you're in luck: There's a whole thread with three years of content for exactly that! :)

MolokaiRider, Dcdavis and Wild Willie like this.
  5. Wild Willie

Mar 19, 2018
    Wanted to try one before I died... Haven't you ever aspired to something nice?

Dcdavis, JAB, Lee D and 1 other person like this.
  6. Jsega51

Jsega51 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    I had a small 21 and hated it. Now I have a large 31 and can’t stop carrying it. You won’t know till you do, so throw it in your pocket and give it an honest 30 days.

7. Wild Willie

Mar 19, 2018
    I fully intend to fulfill my end of the bargain with crk. I don't do something and not follow through. We're talking 9-12 months here. Plenty of time to come up with 400 bucks. I do intend to use it, I use anything that gets slipped in my pocket. It's not going to be a safe queen. I guess I thought I'd see if anyone else ever had reservations about switching from something they've used longish term, and something new.

timberweasel likes this.
  8. Clem Fandango

Clem Fandango Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 3, 2020
    Just use both. I enjoy running a rotation. Variety is the spice of life and all that.

9. Wild Willie

Mar 19, 2018
    I had honestly hoped that wasn't the case, it really is a great knife. The sebenza is the first modern folder I've bout in 8 or 9 years. It too is absolutely an excellent tool... I've got it torn apart now getting aquatinted.

Dadpool likes this.
  10. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    One thing in favor of the Douk-Douk...it's got a much better grind for slicing firm materials like vegetables, potatoes, apples, etc. I just can't cut up an apple with a Sebenza without wishing it had a higher grind that wedged less.

MolokaiRider, Dadpool and Wild Willie like this.
  11. hhmoore

hhmoore Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2014
    If I've liked something enough to carry it regularly for an extended period, I don't have great expectations for new knives... most of the time, I stick with what I like. That doesn't prevent me from trying, though. Generally, the new one will get set aside quickly; but I'll grab it occasionally to try again. Sometimes, one of those random pocketings will click, and I'll start carrying the knife regularly (that's what happened with my Hoback A15).l

000Robert and Wild Willie like this.
  12. Wild Willie

Mar 19, 2018
    I do love the blade geometry, mine has sliced many an apple...

Dadpool and WValtakis like this.
  13. Elgatodeacero

Elgatodeacero Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 5, 2014
    I usually start pocketing a new traditional folder and a new modern folder in the fall each year. Old folders still get used, but not everyday.

This year I am switching my modern from a Buck 110 Pro Slim S30V to a Spyderco Shaman Rex 45.

The Buck 110 Pro Slim is a great knife. Maybe in the top 3 folders of all time for me. Thin, light, strong, has held a great edge though I have used it in the kitchen a lot. It will be still be used hiking and camping.

The Spyderco Shaman is a little larger knife and a different type of lock and pivot so it will be good to see if it can hold up to my normal abuse!

If you dont try new things, how will you know what works best for you and what you like?

DD6C232F-76AB-40AC-825D-5BE2BC2F9BE2.png

jfk1110, Wild Willie and Dadpool like this.
  14. Dadpool

Dadpool Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2015
    Well said!

Very few of my regrets, in life or in this hobby, come from trying something new.

Wild Willie likes this.
  15. Alberta Ed

Alberta Ed

Jun 29, 1999
    The Douk Douk is kind of like a Ford Pinto. The Sebenza is more like a Rolls Royce. They'll both get you there, but differently. Enjoy your Sebbie!

Wild Willie likes this.
  16. ktataragasi

ktataragasi

May 26, 2019
    I'm trying my first Spyderco out now. It has a different opening, locking and profile from any other knife I've used and carried. I just like trying new things.

Give it a shot and you will probably love it.

Wild Willie likes this.
  17. Wild Willie

Mar 19, 2018
    Spyderco makes a great knife, I've owned a couple, only have one now, my other I gave to my sister in law.

ktataragasi likes this.
  18. timberweasel

timberweasel Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 5, 2011
    Rock that Sebenza, OP! :cool::thumbsup:

I'd also recommend picking up an alox SAK to ride shotgun. It'll have that same thin-and-slicey quality you love in your Douk Douk and give you a few other tool options to boot. The silver alox variants are amazing at hiding wear-and-tear. My favourites are the Cadet, Pioneer, and Farmer models.

Been saying it for a long time now: I've found no better carry combo than a CRK Seb 21 and an alox SAK. Give it a try!

regularcarry.jpg

Good luck, OP!

19. Velitrius

Velitrius Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2000
    True stuff.

How can I find anything magical if I don't try something new?

BTW, only person so far who hasn't nodded their head at me when I uttered this??.... Yeah, my wife.

timberweasel, Wild Willie and Dadpool like this.
  20. Eli Chaps

Eli Chaps Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Apr 20, 2018
    After years of more or less raising my eyebrows at the Douk Douk, I was gifted one yesterday.

Whoa!

This knife is for real. I know that isn't news to all the people who have been saying that for years but for anyone who has not tried one, you should. It's more comfortable in the hand than a lot of Spyderco's I own. And I love Spyderco's. Super slicey blade, solid, cool knife!

For years I've been reading that every collection should have a SAK and a Douk Douk. I was all on board the former but never the latter. I was wrong.

I'm not in any way trying to make a build-quality comparison but I am saying that from a pure cutting, ergonomics, and utilitarian perspective, I get why the OP asked the question.

As cheap and weird as it presents, the Douk Douk is a genuinely viable cutting tool. As, again, so many people have been saying for so many years.

Wild Willie, Dadpool and JAB like this.