True blue? Or try new?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Wild Willie, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Keyopp

Keyopp Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 14, 2013
    A perspective from the opposite end. Here's my small Sebenza, carried it for years as my only edc and still do often in rotation. A great, reliable, solid edc is an understatement for this knife IMHO. No punches pulled, use it for any task I think a knife should handle, cutting all manner of things, acting as a stand in tool and popping off non twist off beer caps being high on the list (that last one being with the handle, not the blade, I'm liberal but not reckless with it). I recently noticed when comparing it to a newer inlay version I picked up, just how much steel I've taken off the blade through so many sharpening sessions. This knife definitely shows its miles in the TI but, for me that looks much nicer than brand new.
    Next to it a brand new Douk Douk, mint, have had it for years but, have never carried it. No particular reason why, I guess the Seb and others just pushed off the opportunity.
    Well, I don't have any issue trying new blades and I've certainly tried plenty but, after seeing this thread, the positive comments above, seeing @WValtakis sporting his recently in the edc thread and the inspirational comment from @Dadpool , I'll be carrying it tomorrow for the first time.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dcdavis, jfk1110, Wild Willie and 4 others like this.
  2. Wild Willie

Wild Willie Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2018
    I actually already have a pioneer that rides lfp with a pair of knipex pliers... 16010238247111258805761.jpg

I am indeed a huge fan of the alox!
    Congratulations :thumbsup: I know that they aren't the sexiest knives out there, but like you said they work.

My biggest issue (if one could actually call it an issue) is the propensity of pocket clips to snag on bucket harnesses and climbing saddles, something than I'm in and out of all day (My brother, dad, and I run a small tree service). This isn't pure speculation either, I've witnessed it with many of my former co-workers at my last job. I personally had solved the issue by using a short fob with a carabiner attached to a belt loop. Again this is no fault of the knife, but if I lose we're to lose a 25 dollar knife, I'd be pissed, then just order another one. Now a 400 dollar sebenza...:eek:

timberweasel likes this.
  3. Wild Willie

Mar 19, 2018
    It appears that we'll be together in sporting a new knife! I would suggest having some way to keep it upright in your pocket, especially since you're probably accustomed to a clip. I found that if the Douk Douk gets turned sideways in mine it isn't very comfortable 16010249408341771416440.jpg
    My solution... Actually this same setup was how I formerly carried my Spydercos and a Benchmade like I said in my previous post. Still trying to work out those little details with the sebbie.

Keyopp likes this.
  4. Wild Willie

Mar 19, 2018
    And thanks for the input guys, I'm glad I'm not the only one hesitate to switch out a tried and proven blade. Although I feel like this sebenza was the right move for my foray back into modern folders... I just hope I can keep a satisfactory edge on this s35vn.

Dadpool likes this.
  5. Wild Willie

Mar 19, 2018
    Carried the sebenza today, didn't have much call for a knife. Opened a few parts boxes, cut some cardboard. It does knifey things like a knife should. I took the clip off, wish there was a way to fill that small hollow without the screw impinging on the blade, but it definitely carries nicely.

Dadpool and WValtakis like this.
  6. Keyopp

Keyopp Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 14, 2013
    It does knifey things like a knife should” was my experience as well.

Grabbed the Douk Douk this morning for its maiden voyage. I noticed it wasn’t sharp but, a few passes on a Sharpmaker fixed that right up. Easy to sharpen, off to a good start, in the pocket it went.

Like you suspected, I am very accustomed to a clip and that was different. I do carry some traditional slip joints occasionally but, most are smaller than the Douk so falling sideways in the pocket is not as bad with those. I was concerned about this as it’s longer and did feel odd when I purposely put it that way. However, by some magic knife wizardry, I always seemed to find it upright along the inside edge of my pocket when I reached for it during the day. I’m up and down a fair bit at work so I think it just righted itself into that position on its own. Not sure but it worked out today anyway.

It handled all cutting tasks fine, no less capable than my Sebenza. It was a light task day though, no real tough tests. On a few food items it did show off its slicing prowess quite well.

I do prefer a knife that offers one hand opening so that’s a bit of a negative. As mentioned, I do carry slip joints occasionally so not a deal breaker here, just a preference. Although I have to say, you do get a workout opening and closing this thing. I’ve only ever handled mine but guessing its super strong pull is typical.

All in all it was a positive experience. I for sure have a better appreciation for this knife now then I had yesterday. Is it going to be my new daily EDC, well no but, it may find its way into my pocket now and then, rather than forgotten about in a drawer. Lastly, giving it a chance did somehow change my visual perception of it. Yesterday it was a weird looking knife but, today I see it differently and have found an aesthetic appreciation that was not there before.

@Wild Willie thanks for this thread. You may not have introduced me to this knife but, you did prompt me to give it the closer look it deserves.

Dadpool, Wild Willie and WValtakis like this.
  7. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    CRK sells a filler tab:thumbsup:

Dcdavis, Wild Willie and Jdottinger like this.
  8. Wild Willie

Mar 19, 2018

I'm glad you found it as capable as I do. Mine had a super strong pull when I first started carrying it, it's still stout buy it has lightened a bit with use.

Thanks! I'll be looking for one later today.

Edited to add: Filler tab has been ordered... Thanks. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    WValtakis and Keyopp like this.
  9. Shorttime

Shorttime

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't have much to contribute that hasn't been said already, except to speculate that variety and contrast aren't just fun and interesting, they're essential to mental health. So using and carrying all sorts of different knives can offset the sameness in other parts of your life. Though, you should have other hobbies too, otherwise you end up spending all your time on the Internet looking for knives you've never seen before, and sighing when you see that the price is higher than your can justify to yourself......

Dadpool and Wild Willie like this.