1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

Trying 80CrV2?

Discussion in 'Hammer & Tongs' started by redsquid2, Oct 15, 2016.

1. redsquid2

redsquid2 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 31, 2011
    Does anybody know how this stuff files and sands?

I think it is promising as a steel for utility and EDC blades. Here are the patterns I have in mind.
    Wharncliffe is 3 1/8", backpacker is 3 1/4"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like to go minimalist, and the wharncliffe would be easy to carry, and versatile at OAL 7 1/2".

Backpacker is OAL 7 5/8".

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  2. running bird

running bird

Sep 29, 2015
    80crv2 grinds, files, and sands pretty reasonably. It feels similar to most of the 10xx steels when normalized. I haven't had any issues with it being too hard to sand or file as long as you do it before the HT. I made the mistake of trying to drill some holes after HT on my first 80crv2 knife, that didn't work out too well for me.

I like that design, that's going to be one fine knife.

3. redsquid2

redsquid2 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 31, 2011
    Thank you, running bird.

I don't have a 2X72, so I do a little stock removal with a 2X42, and then the rest with files and sandpaper. So I am staying with steels that are easier to work.

4. redsquid2

Aug 31, 2011
    Speaking of drilling a hole in hardened steel, i tried to do that once- just a small hole. I was holding the hardened tang in one hand, and my cordless drill in the other. In frustration, I just kept pressing harder and harder until the drill skittered off and drilled a hole through a finger.