Trying 80CrV2?

Discussion in 'Hammer & Tongs' started by redsquid2, Oct 15, 2016.

1. redsquid2

redsquid2 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 31, 2011
    Does anybody know how this stuff files and sands?

I think it is promising as a steel for utility and EDC blades. Here are the patterns I have in mind.
    Wharncliffe is 3 1/8", backpacker is 3 1/4"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like to go minimalist, and the wharncliffe would be easy to carry, and versatile at OAL 7 1/2".

Backpacker is OAL 7 5/8".

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  2. running bird

running bird

Sep 29, 2015
    80crv2 grinds, files, and sands pretty reasonably. It feels similar to most of the 10xx steels when normalized. I haven't had any issues with it being too hard to sand or file as long as you do it before the HT. I made the mistake of trying to drill some holes after HT on my first 80crv2 knife, that didn't work out too well for me.

I like that design, that's going to be one fine knife.

3. redsquid2

redsquid2 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 31, 2011
    Thank you, running bird.

I don't have a 2X72, so I do a little stock removal with a 2X42, and then the rest with files and sandpaper. So I am staying with steels that are easier to work.

4. redsquid2

Aug 31, 2011
    Speaking of drilling a hole in hardened steel, i tried to do that once- just a small hole. I was holding the hardened tang in one hand, and my cordless drill in the other. In frustration, I just kept pressing harder and harder until the drill skittered off and drilled a hole through a finger.