Trying to understand why, so let's discuss it

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Hickory n steel, Jul 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    I also agree that John Rambo changed the knife market and every boy and man down deep wants to be a commando. Hell. I didn't even own a fixed blade knife outside the kitchen until after the Rambo movies started coming out. I had plenty of time prior to that to get them too as I was an adult. My first fixed blades were sensible hunting type designs OR tactical in the vein of John Rambo.

Spyderco changed the world of knives too. I like Spidies but have generally moved to more traditionally shaped knives if not traditionals in general.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    DangerZone98 likes this.
  2. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    If you do think that way you are doing so deliberately out of your own choice. You've been around long enough and seen enough discussions on this subject to know the advantages many people see in modern folders. Hell, you even list several in this very thread. Over your time here, you have made it stubbornly clear that despite knowing what people like about modern things, you don't "get" it and like old stuff. And again, that is fine. Nothing wrong with it at all. It might be time to just accept and enjoy what you like and not worry about the rest of us!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    Quiet, JD Bear, PNWhovian and 3 others like this.
  3. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    There is absolutely no reason for a thinking man to be "tricked by marketing" with modern knife designs. I have plenty of knives and it is mostly about fun now, modern or traditional. I have the use aspect completely covered if I am willing to carry them.

4. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    On one side of the coin is edge holding, quick one handed deployment, far superior ergonomics, versatility, locks, etc. On the other is size, aesthetics, legality (for restrictive jurisdictions), cutting/slicing ability and multiple blades or even tools.

That said the world can't move fast enough to modern traditionals IMO. After my SAK giving up (totally blunt) after cutting a couple of yards of suede material from an old couch I was stripping, I'm again looking at a solution which will provide considerably superior performance without compromising on having two blades and a form factor that disappears in the pocket. A solution that is carry legal in both of the countries I frequent, both of which are very anti-locking blades.

Eli Chaps likes this.
  5. Dr Heelhook

Dr Heelhook

Jul 24, 2007
    Large pocket knives aren't anything new. They've existed ever since the 1800's and probably way before.

Your choice of handle size, blade size, pocket/folding knife or fixed blade just depends on what you're gonna use the knife for, that's the way it always was.

There wasn't really anything revolutionary about the Buck 110 when it came, it was just a nice design that people liked and it was a bit different compared to what people were using at the time, so it started a trend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

willc, Insipid Moniker and JAB like this.
  6. soc_monki

soc_monki Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 5, 2019
    I like modern knives, simple as that. Old slip joints are cool, but they arent as useful as the knives I do use. One hand opening, one hand closing, stouter blade, a lock, better ergonomics, stays sharp longer, I can disassemble and clean and maintain it easier.

I have one traditional, and it was a gift (a rough rider improved muskrat). It cuts well, and is good for certain tasks, but I rarely carry it. Usually, it's my shaman, ritter, one of my grips, Freek, PM2, Amalgam... It works for me.

But that's why we have variety. There is no shortage of different knives, traditional or otherwise. Everyone can choose what makes them happy.

7. MBG

MBG

May 21, 2020
    What makes a traditional better than a modern folder? Aesthetics?

The average suburbanite would do just fine with a pair of scissors, and many (most?) do.

8. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Actually, they don't. You have not been able to buy a new production pontiac since 2010. Sorry.

Quiet and gotgoat like this.
  9. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    My number one daily use knife is a Spyderco Ladybug.

Which is of course smaller than a Case Peanut. Weird.

Eli Chaps likes this.
  10. mendezj

mendezj Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 24, 1998
    I have until recently only used slip joint knives. I would never consider a modern knife. My avatar is a Tony Bose casket shaped two blade knife (440V steel, best steel I’ve ever tried). If I ever needed a larger knife I’d carry a fixed blade; which would also apply to military purposes. But you make an important point: the suburbanite life of Amazon boxes and so on. Then there is the internet.

So being exposed to the internet and having to deal with boxes more and more, I’ve been buying modern knives recently. The one handed opening deal makes life easier when holding a box with the other hand. However, the thick blades make slicing difficult and the heavy weight is a pain when wearing shorts. In my case, I also find the hype... disagreeable. Moreover, the emphasis on “tactical” and “special ops” is plain puerile and silly.

To summarize, a light weight knife that opens with one hand and which is sturdy enough is useful for every day tasks. So far, I find the Microtech LUDT with a blade of M390 steel very handy; particularly as we are moving to a new home. Oh, and then there is the issue of the pesky liner lock on most modern knives, but that’s for another post.

11. Rupestris

Rupestris Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 1, 2006
    Ergonomic:

[​IMG]

Tries to be ergonomic but always has the other blade in the way.

[​IMG]

A lot of modern folders take the shape of a human hand into consideration.

12. Sergeua

Sergeua

May 1, 2016
    Try manly wasp with s90v. It's very nice to use. Sturdy, small legal and slicy.

Pomsbz likes this.
  13. Mitchell Knives

Mitchell Knives Knifemaker Moderator

May 21, 2000
    Modern folders are the result of advances in technology and the desires of those who purchase them.

A larger knife is inherently more capable than a smaller knife. (Assuming proper design and geometry.) It is harder to carry, but this is a tradeoff most are willing to make.

Technology has allowed us to carry a tool in our pocket that can perform a variety of tasks efficiently and safely. If you are going to carry a knife, you might as well carry one that is versatile.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  14. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    I really like a multiple blade solution. Currently carrying my BF 2018 knife from Buck in CPM154. It's ok though not very comfortable in hand. Another option is the Lionsteel Warhorse though I'd far prefer a more traditional barlow main/pen blade configuration. Just have to hope there is one in the offing and that they will grind it thin. The Lionsteel Bestman is too blocky for my taste.

[​IMG]

willc and Sergeua like this.
  15. rover

rover

Jul 9, 2004
    Been injured and irritated by slipjoints that can't skin a few squirrels.

I'd rather have a modern Spyderco that was designed with cutting and safety in mind. Doesn't need to be any larger than a slipjoint, heck it might even be a slipjoint, but it ain't going to be traditional contruction or materials.

16. rover

rover

Jul 9, 2004
    Super nice Buck! I didn't know they were using CPM 154. That is awesome.

Pomsbz likes this.
  17. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Heres my assessment so far.

First half of the 1900's, balisongs were the main folders carried for the " cool " factor.
    Then in 1964 the Buck 110 takes the world by storm and becomes one of the most copied specific folding knives ever.

In the 80's spyderco, first blood, and mall ninjas

1990's tactical folders became a thing

Now most folding knives in the US are modern.

I understand that people like modern folders and I understand what people like about them, but theres still a question in my mind.

The materials an average person cuts during the day haven't changed much, but people's expectations of a pocket knife mostly have and I wonder why.

So is the answer really just that people think they're cool and have gotten used to them ?

Did a lot more people carry belt knives until knives started to become " frowned upon " ?

18. OogieBoogie

OogieBoogie Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Yeah, that would make me giggle a whole lot!

19. OogieBoogie

OogieBoogie Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 29, 2014
    I'm actually a fan of the sheer variety of knives offered. It means that everyone can find something that they like. I have to admit that I like larger folders, but I have friends how love the traditional pocket knives. The market is the master. It will promote what is selling and will weed out what isn't.

20. MBG

MBG

May 21, 2020
    Mendezj, I don't necessarily disagree with you, but LUDT (in name) is about as tactical/special ops as you can get.

willc and marrenmiller like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.