1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 35 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, August 31 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 34 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Turning a $25 Sebenza clone into something better!

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Converge, Jul 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Converge

Converge

Oct 4, 2014
    So I bought one of those Link Removed off Amazon a while back for a few bucks and while it is a well-enough-built knife I just don't like that satin shiney finish. I originally bought it just to see how I would like a Sebenza style knife so I could start saving up for one if I wanted. Didn't really plan on carrying it and really haven't since I have plenty of other nicer knives I like a whole lot more.

Well I used it for a little project and I really like how it came out. I work in a PVD coating lab that applies thin film metallic coatings to metals. I decided to coat the handle of this knife with DLC and left the blade and screws sand blasted. The result is pretty nice!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks even better in person. I'll be watching the blade and screws for rust since I've blasted any finish that was previously on them off, but I did coat them in a light film of oil. If there is any rust I'll just end up re blasing and then coating them with another type of finish and see how it turns out. Either way, pretty cool!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2019
  2. b00n

b00n Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Clone Talk aside, it's a nice looking finish. I am glad I am not working in a place like yours or I'd end up changing colors on my knives constantly. :D

3. slyraven

slyraven

Feb 19, 2019
    Will a clone be an accurate enough experience to see if one would want a sebenza? Myself, I just played with one at a local knife shop nd it was like test driving a ferrari

4. marcinek

marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    Wow. You included a link to a Sebenza clone on Amazon. :thumbsdown:

5. Converge

Converge

Oct 4, 2014
    It's a CLONE not a COUNTERFIET

Pretty goddamn big difference dude. No where on the blade or description is it calling it self a CR knife. It's just a knife that's similar. Don't get your thong in a twist.

6. Converge

Converge

Oct 4, 2014
    It's obviously no where near as well built, so I'd say maybe maybe not, I just wanted to get an idea for the general shape of one in the hand instead of just looking at pictures every time.

slyraven likes this.
  7. Standard78

Standard78 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2015
    043AF2B0-E929-414B-9660-752F50C5D9D9.jpeg

8. marcus52AR

marcus52AR Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Standard78 likes this.
  9. Converge

Converge

Oct 4, 2014
    [QUOTE="Standard78] [/QUOTE]

Wow, no way! You think?!? You're missing the point.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  10. trevitrace

trevitrace Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 21, 2013
    AntDog, Standard78 and Rupestris like this.
  11. Boru13

Boru13 Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator Pirate

Apr 25, 2000
    Mines in a twist, links removed and thread closed.

craytab, marcinek, 1234 and 12 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.