Two SAKs?

Discussion in 'Multi-tools & Multi-purpose Knives' started by SteeleJ1976, Jul 11, 2020.

Which One?

1. Super Tinker

5 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Camper +Classic SD

10 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. SteeleJ1976

SteeleJ1976

Jan 24, 2020
    I have been debating whether to make the Camper +Classic SD my new EDC or if I should just stick with the Super Tinker? Anybody have opinions on this? I also created a poll just to make it more sciencey, lol.

Hairy Clipper likes this.
  2. Rich S

Rich S

Sep 23, 2005
    Can never go wrong with a Tinker; large, small, Super or Deluxe.
    I've carried a Tinker in my pocket at home for over 30 years and carried a Deluxe Tinker in a belt pouch when out and about for about 5 years.
    Rich

Hairy Clipper and guy g like this.
  3. guy g

guy g Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 22, 2000
    I voted Super Tinker because that is what I am more familiar with.
    My method is to look at the implements and what I'm going to use and go from there.
    Good luck

4. marchone

marchone Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2013
    Take a look at SAKWiki. Every model ever made is covered.

When I carry a SAK it's usually a Compact with a folder. Different solutions for every need.

5. Sawl Goodman

Sawl Goodman

Jun 4, 2018
    Let's examine the respective toolsets. Asterisks show tools unique to the complete toolset.

Super Tinker
    large blade
    small blade
    flat SD
    bottle opener
    wire stripper
    can opener
    small flat SD
    2D Phillips
    awl/reamer
    *back side Phillips
    scissors
    *hook
    toothpick and tweezers (T&T)

Camper/Classic combo
    large blade
    small blade
    full size flat SD
    bottle opener
    wire stripper
    can opener
    small flat SD
    #2 2D Phillips
    awl/reamer
    *corkscrew
    optional mini SD that fits in the corkscrew
    *wood/plastic saw
    scissors
    *fine blade
    *nail file
    another 3D Phillips
    small flat SD
    another 2D Phillips SD
    two sets of T&T

The Camper is a little lighter and thinner than the Super Tinker. The saw adds utility.

I voted for the Camper + Classic combo. In fact it's one of my favourite carries, particularly if I'm outdoors. The only advantage of the back side Phillips over the one on the can opener is that it can access recessed screws. But it's cumbersome and can't handle as much torque, and is practically redundant if you have a Classic etc. on hand. To me, its only advantage over the corkscrew is more comfortable handling.

Because there is a little overlap in screwdrivers, blades, and T&T, you can get by pretty well with just the Classic on your keyring. I'd never be without a 58mm there (my personal choice is the Rambler). The small 58mm scissors punch well beyond their weight.

Popular alternatives to the Classic
    The Rambler adds #0 to #2 3D Phillips with another bottle opener and wire stripper. I like this Phillips! It too can access recessed screws. It adds a tiny more weight and thickness to the Classic.

Compared to the Rambler, the Manager adds a pen at the expense of the toothpick, but is a little thicker than the Rambler.

The Midnight Manager adds an LED to the Manager at the expense of both toothpick and tweezers and yet more weight and thickness.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    Hairy Clipper, 315, shopdoc and 3 others like this.
  6. SteeleJ1976

SteeleJ1976

Jan 24, 2020
    Thanks Sawl, I appreciate you in depth breakdown of the toolsets. I am leaning towards the Camper/Classic combo. I love the Super Tinker but I want to maximize my toolset and I think as pointed out the Camper combo does that.

7. allenC

allenC

Jun 18, 2000
    I have to vote for the Super Tinker.
    I like the camper but I hardly ever use the saw.
    But I use Vic scissors nearly every day.

Grateful, Hairy Clipper and Lee D like this.
  8. DocT

DocT

Mar 25, 2012
    Maybe an executive instead of a classic? The scissors are a little larger.

allenC and Hairy Clipper like this.
  9. 315

315 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2017
    I voted Camper and Classic, but I would take a rambler over the Classic. That little Phillips is just right for small screws that work loose On fishing reels!

10. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    How do you normally carry a SAK? Pocket? I'm not comfortable with more than 2 layers on a daily basis. I sometimes carry a three layer in a carry bag, but not in my pocket.

11. Sawl Goodman

Sawl Goodman

Jun 4, 2018
    Pocket for 2-3 layers. Watch pocket if I'm wearing jeans and carrying an 84mm. Rambler on keyring.

Like you, I do prefer 2 layers.

Storm 8593 and Hairy Clipper like this.
  12. SteeleJ1976

SteeleJ1976

Jan 24, 2020
    I pocket carry the Super Tinker in my front pocket with my wallet. The 3 layers doesn"t bother me, but that is my max layers. I like the idea of the Camper being thinner though.

Hairy Clipper and Sawl Goodman like this.
  13. DocT

DocT

Mar 25, 2012
    I carry my 3 layer Pioneer X in my watch pocket, but it is thinner than the plastic scale 3 layer models.

14. Plainsman

Plainsman

Apr 5, 1999
    I voted Camper as I ALWAYS want an SAK with a SAW on me.

jacksterp, Hairy Clipper and jmh33 like this.