1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

Uncle Bill needs your vote. PLEASE READ!!

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by Bill Martino, Feb 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jebadiah_Smith

Jebadiah_Smith

Jul 28, 2004
    Look at that horn!

And hes whining because he cant sharpen it?

:rolleyes:

37up likes this.
  2. 37up

37up

Jun 16, 2002
    thank you guys, thanks Munk, that means alot coming from you.

I'm upset. Either this is a mistake or I'm being used as a tool to rip off Uncle Bill.

That doesn't make me feel good. And I believe that this story isn't over as I sold another khukuri to another person under a different alias in Nova Scotia as well.

I smell rat.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Steely_Gunz and kamkazmoto like this.
  3. Green Ice

Green Ice

Dec 27, 2004
    I see nothing wrong with Dave's Khukuri. From reading Mr. M's posts it seems to me that he is a very easily frustrated person who doesn't have the right tools or expertise to sharpen his blade. He would be much better off getting one of our experts here to sharpen it. I think everyone here has been fair in their assessment of the situation and in their offers of help.

To add, I for one stand guilty of speaking before we had Mr. H's explanation, especially since he is a member of the forum.

Dave, I offer you my sincere apologies.

Ice

37up likes this.
  4. Kismet

Kismet

Jan 30, 2002
    Dave?

The only way Bill M. heard about it is if this guy emailed Bill, looking for replacement or refund. Now THAT infuriates me.

As for punishment for you? Hmmm. You have to deal with the Canadian Postal System for the next two years, OR, live in Montreal and speak only English. :p

The thread popularity is a reflection of the Cantina folks watching out for Bill M and Yangdu. God help the guy if he attributes blame, or casts aspersions on them. It won't be pretty.

The gentleman should have contacted you. All reasonable people know this. Be at peace.

37up likes this.
  5. Yvsa

Yvsa

May 18, 1999
    That is uncalled for! :grumpy: :rolleyes:

6. Ivan Campos

Ivan Campos

Apr 4, 1999
    First, the knife must be handled and evaluated by Uncle Bill, and then any other measure can be taken. If the owner destroyed the knife attempting to sharpen it due to its lack of skill, it is not HI problem anymore. If he just couldn´t sharpen it due to his lack of skill, he is lucky to have a few forumites offering help, and he may learn something on the process. If the knife proves defective - what seems not the case - it should be replaced.
    No refunds necessary, and any refund matter should have been discussed between the parts (selles/buyer) at the moment of the deal.
    That´s the way I see it and how I would act.

7. 37up

37up

Jun 16, 2002
    Well, reading through this thread fully now, I see what the issue was.

Simply put, it's clear my understanding of what is appropriately sharp is the issue here. I thought the blade was adequately sharp but I will definitely say that the khukuri in question could not shave the hair off your arm. I do want to state, that the khukuri I sold was not used at all and was in the condition that I received it in.

If I can be sure that this is no scam, I will give Geoff a refund along with a full apology and he can keep his knife. If Geoff you are ever in T.O, I would extend my hand to you and apologize over a 15 year old scotch.

I will ensure that from now on, any khukuri I sell will honestly address this issue.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270054

I invite anyone who has any thoughts on this to first read the above thread.

Sincerely,

Dave Hahn :(

8. BillTheCat

BillTheCat

May 21, 2002
    "Bill M. got burnt by second owners exploiting him, and last year said he couldn't transfer the life-time guarantee to next users"

Thanks for straightening me out on that Kis.

Oh, and by the way Mr. H :D, nice looking Khukuri you sold and Mr. M bought. Well worth $50, a bargain actually.

9. nsmg

nsmg

Apr 22, 2001
    Mr M Should Contact Mr H--i Have Over 60 H.i. Knives--i've Never Had A Sharpening Problem--

10. Lion's Roar

Lion's Roar

Apr 11, 2004
    Dave H, you are a honorable guy. I wish I could do something to help.
    Guess you will have to settle for some Chicklet points. :D

37up likes this.
  11. kamkazmoto

kamkazmoto

Sep 14, 2002
    Dave, you sold a knife in good faith. It is not defective in any way and you did not mis-represent it. If the buyer has trouble sharpening it, it is his problem. He has had a lot of offers here to help sharpen and your offer to refund his money. He should be happy. YOU DID GOOD.

37up likes this.
  12. 37up

37up

Jun 16, 2002
    I think I should tell the whole story here.

One day, Dave decides to sell his 12" AK, possibly to someone who might actually use it!

So he lists it on Ebay. Now Dave has been burnt in the past and does not allow those with bad feedback to bid on his auctions! A tad bit unfair, but that's my policy and I state it upfront.

So Mr. M bids. I cancel his bid because frankly, his rep wasn't exactly spotless. I think he had 8 experiences, 6 good, 1 bad (for bidding and not paying) and 1 neutral (something about bidding and not being able to pay) The auction ends with no winner.

Mr. M contacts Dave and says he'll give him money in advance. Mr. H, which I'm sure I'll be known as from now on dammit ;) , says okay.

So here is now Mr. H, pondering. Is this an honest mistake? Or is Mr. H or UB getting taken for a ride.

What say you forum brothers?

Roadrunner likes this.
  13. 37up

37up

Jun 16, 2002
    Here is an email transcript... Nothing out of context!

Dave Hahn's Reply:

This is a special model. I originally paid $65 + 20
    shipping for it. HI charges extra shipping for Cdn
    customers.

It is alright sharp. Definitely not dull, but a good
    edge.

--- Mr. M wrote:

> that's great, if its not here I understand 100%.
    >
    > Is this an HI second or discounted item, or a new
    > one that simply tarnished in one spot?
    >
    > Don't care which it is, new or 2nd.
    >
    > How sharp is this baby?

14. Daniel Koster

Daniel Koster www.kosterknives.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 18, 2001
    I'm really wishing my offer had been taken by now....:(

15. raghorn

raghorn

Feb 23, 2002
    Walk tall, Dave, you did nothing wrong. This guy sounds like a manipulator.

16. Semper Fi

Semper Fi

Feb 23, 2002
    Nope, NaDa, nien, zip, nothing.

As Nancy Regan once said, "Just say no"

17. Spectre

Spectre

Nov 3, 1998
    The only potential liability HI should be willing to assume for a second-hand buyer, is for breakage, and then, only if it could somehow be proven that nothing extrordinary had been
    done to weaken the knife prior to the break.

Dave, you did nothing wrong, and that guy got a smoking deal.

Have I told y'all lately how cool you are? Yeah, I like HI products. I use them, and give them to my friends, but I don't hang out here (in my spare time :rolleyes: ) because of the knives.

John

18. yoippari

yoippari

May 8, 2004
    I didn't see any response to Yvsa's post over there before their server went down. Did he give any reason that he hasn't posted over here, on the manufacturer's forum?

19. Dave Rishar

Dave Rishar

Oct 25, 2004
    Well done, Dave and Dan. My previous opinion stands - I don't believe HI is at fault here, but my mind won't be made up until the entire story is told.

20. BruiseLeee

BruiseLeee

Sep 7, 2001
    Millions of knife users worldwide suffer from Male Pattern Forearm Hair Loss each year. I'm going to set up a new charity to help cure this. Please send the knife money to me instead.

Forearm Hair Club For Men.

I'm not just the president, I'm a member.

:rolleyes:

Thomas Linton likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.