Underrated CS products

Discussion in 'Cold Steel Knives' started by DangerZone98, May 7, 2020.

1. Larry Turko

Larry Turko

Oct 4, 2007
    The Shanghai Warrior and the Shanghai Shadow are the best renditions of a smatchet at a very reasonable price that I know of.

2. Larry Turko

Larry Turko

Oct 4, 2007
    The best version of the mini-tacs is the serrated mini-tac tanto.

3. whp

whp

Apr 26, 2009
    That s a good question. On this subform, most know about the quality of the AL, UH and Voyager. But the general knife appreciating public doesn't t realize that the American Lawman is as good an edc knife as the PM 2. Or that the Ultimate Hunter is a better outdoor work knife than anything Benchmade makes. Or that the Voyager compares favorably with the Griptilian for 1/2 the price. (And I like the Griptilian, and Love the PM 2!!).
    There are a lot of products that Cold Steel makes that are underrated.

The Whip, insta9ves and dogstar like this.
  4. whp

whp

Apr 26, 2009
    All of this talk about the Tuff Lite made me think about getting one the next time I order from one of my online vendors. My local b and m store quit carrying Cold Steel products.
    Thinking about the Tuff Lite, I looked at my Hold Out 3 that I ve never really carried. Same size with better steel and a very slicy blade. I m going to break a habit and carry that small knife outside to work the next few days. I normally like 4 inch handles or longer, but this feels ok in hand, so I ll see how it does. This may also fall into the category of under appreciated knives.

Last edited: May 14, 2020
    dogstar likes this.
  5. fonedork

fonedork Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 7, 2011
    I like the blowgun a lot.

jdk1, dogstar, Smiling and 1 other person like this.
  6. dogstar

dogstar

Jan 23, 2011
    If you are referring to people who always recommend a Spyderco or a Benchmade, that is a long row to hoe. They are die hard fan boys just like us. A few thoughts
    • I sense a general dislike for CS, AFAIK the braggadocio, car stabbing, and lawsuit against CRKT play into that
    • There are just more fans of those brands, and they saturate the discussion
    • CS doesn't make 10 different collector colors, with slight variations in materials. I personally appreciate that CS just makes strong, hard working knives, not catering primarily to collectors.
    • The tri-ad lock makes a poor fidget spinner. I think that is what a lot of people look for in knives.
    • I think most people prefer a smaller knife than most CS models.
    Video reviews of the Voyager, Lawman, UH, are all very positive, so they are appreciated by some. I think these are some of the most popular CS knives.

For what you get, CS is a great value, and the marketing is more entertaining than irksome to me.

Last edited: May 12, 2020
  7. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    :) Very light and thin slicer . Pretty fine for medium duty chores and SD . Not too many bargain compact ring knives available .

Simple wrap with self fusing silicon tape really helps with the grip . :cool::thumbsup:

[​IMG]

This is the "Bird and Game" larger version next to Mini Hunter .

8. yoz's friend

yoz's friend

Jun 30, 2001
    the original outdoorsman. they marketed it as a field knife but to me its all fighter.

GIRLYmann and dogstar like this.
  9. Roy Batty

Roy Batty Y'all can sling load DEEZ NUTS Platinum Member

May 25, 2016
    SRK, especially in San Mai. If you slapped wooden handles on it and a leather sheath you’d have what other makers would sell for $350+.
    You could take on the world with the 3V or San Mai SRK.

DangerZone98 and dogstar like this.
  10. Hungryone

Hungryone

Apr 10, 2011
    The Pro Lite

I can buy and have shipped to my front door for about $30

even less if I shop around

It’s a solid performer

johnnywizzo, jux t and DangerZone98 like this.
  11. dogstar

dogstar

Jan 23, 2011
    It's discontinued, get one while you still can.

johnnywizzo and GIRLYmann like this.
  12. whp

whp

Apr 26, 2009
    I agree.

dogstar likes this.
  13. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    I'd just like to add that I agree that Cold Steel is a great value and marketing is more than fun to watch, but I can't really call myself fanboy.

In my country I have CS retailer and I'm somehow most used to CS since I have their products and I know they perform. And to make it better - the price/performance ratio is just amazing. Usually people in my country are all about fallkniven (from my experience). So naturally I'll always check CS first.

But, as a consumer I will always also say what's something I'd like to see change, like sheath material since I can't even carry my Recon Tanto anymore because it'll get dulled by the sheath. Now I keep it on my closet with newspapers folded over it and headache of not knowing what to do.

And I'd also add that tantos are undervalued by many.

14. nephron

nephron Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 3, 2017
    ready edge
    para edge
    super edge
    frenzy s-l1600 - Copy.jpg para - Copy.jpg iii - Copy.jpg s-l1600HJT - Copy.jpg

15. GIRLYmann

GIRLYmann

Nov 7, 2005
    i wanted something small
    and got a tanto point paraedge
    [​IMG]
    but i found the small handle
    a little dicey.
    and so went with the mini and urban pal

which i find the safest mini knife ever!
    i guess its underated because its t-handle is
    viewed as odd by some, and unlawful by many :)

16. Larry Turko

Larry Turko

Oct 4, 2007
    I absolutely agree. I have the outdoorsman and there's nothing outdoor about it. It's a tactical knife and the name has always irritated me.

GIRLYmann likes this.
  17. dogstar

dogstar

Jan 23, 2011
    I would totally go for the outdoorsman and outdoorsman lite as a budget SRK but not for the gimmicky bone breaker on the spine. It makes the knife useless for batonning

DangerZone98 and GIRLYmann like this.
  18. yoz's friend

yoz's friend

Jun 30, 2001
    ive got the original without the bone breaker or whatever they call.

DangerZone98 and dogstar like this.
  19. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    Don’t know if this counts as underrated, but I’ve got an incoming Kobun! A gift from my awesome old man who’s also a knife nut. Can’t wait to play around with it.

Smiling and jux t like this.
  20. jlauffer

jlauffer Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 11, 2016
    Don't think the original Bush Ranger ever got enough credit. Can kind of think of it as a Recon Scout Lite, but with a more comfortable handle.

IMG_5844x.jpg

nephron, razorburn, Smiling and 6 others like this.