Underrated CS products

Discussion in 'Cold Steel Knives' started by DangerZone98, May 7, 2020.

1. willc

willc Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 13, 2013
    CB614792-2A66-4ECA-8CD1-E2E248FF204E.jpeg
    The more I use the Kiridashi the more I am liking it.
    I’ve had this a little over a month now and it is small enough to carry in the mesh pocket of my phone case so I can still carry something bigger in my pocket.

At first it was not so impressive but after I thinned the edge out a bit it really is a solid performer.
    The steel is 4034SS which I actually know nothing about atm but it seems to be on par with my 4116 CS knives.

My only issue with it is the clip is on the wrong side.

razorburn, nephron, jux t and 4 others like this.
  2. bryan123

bryan123

Feb 7, 2017
    Would make a great Father's Day gift...

DangerZone98 and dogstar like this.
  3. dogstar

dogstar

Jan 23, 2011
    [​IMG]
    The Kudu gets discounted because of its low, low price. It's a good general purpose blade that is made is decent steel, has a strong lockup, cuts like the dickens. If this was the only folding knife I could use, I'd be OK with that.

razorburn, willc and GIRLYmann like this.
  4. GIRLYmann

GIRLYmann

Nov 7, 2005
    [​IMG]
    neat blade shape! personally though, i
    thought it would have helped had it
    come with a better looking handle :)
    so wasn't its design elements supposedly based upon or inspired at least by some sheffield. knife design of old?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. jlauffer

jlauffer Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 11, 2016
    Handle looks good to me...not super sexy, but fine...and is very comfortable IMO

6. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    Is this still in production? That’s a handsome looking knife.

7. jlauffer

jlauffer Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 11, 2016
    No, the last year for the AUS8A version was 1999, and 2001 for Carbon V.

nephron, DangerZone98 and dogstar like this.
  8. insta9ves

insta9ves

Apr 3, 2007
    [​IMG]

Weiss, DocJD, nephron and 2 others like this.
  9. insta9ves

insta9ves

Apr 3, 2007
    The American Lawman is also ounce for ounce one of the strongest knife. I've been batoning this XHP lawman regularly for firewood since 2015. It's still going strong. "Right tool for the right job", well in this case the lawman is the right tool for this job.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DocJD, nephron and DangerZone98 like this.
  10. Meneldor

Meneldor

Dec 28, 2018
    How about the Tanto Lite? I find it an excellent outdoors knife.

nephron, dogstar and DangerZone98 like this.
  11. jdk1

jdk1 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 21, 2010
    This is no joke. The CS Big Bore blowgun is the best I've ever seen, by a large margin. It's a steal!

12. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    It's kinda overshadowed by it's bigger brother Recon Tanto for like just 15€ more in SK-5 steel. Thicker blade, better handle... SK-5 might not be corrosion resistant but it'll outperform stainless steel in toughness.

Tanto Lite is excellent, but so is Recon Tanto... however if you want a cheap stainless tanto blade then Tanto Lite might be the one for you.

Meneldor, dogstar and DangerZone98 like this.
  13. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    Just my two cents, but I’m not too crazy about 4116 steel. Cedric and Ada’s tests show poor edge retention. Aus8a is probably the cheapest budget steel I’ll roll with. In that case, the Kobun’s got you covered.

I agree that SK5 is perhaps the more useful steel compared to 4116. That bad boy will take a beating before breaking.

Smiling likes this.
  14. dogstar

dogstar

Jan 23, 2011
    In terms of 4116 on its own, Cedric and Ada did a video on the Prolite, which he did not like based on general use. A year later, he did his standard rope cutting test on a pocket Bushman, which performed on par with Bos 420HC, Aus8, 440C.

This video by Hilltop knives and gear tested three prolites. One had poor heat treat at 52HRC, while the other two were 56 HRC. The ones with proper heat treat worked on par with Cedric's test of the Pocket Bushman. There are a handful of other cutting tests with 4116 that all indicate it is a solid performer commensurate with 56 HRC. I have 4 blades in 4116; they all live up to my expectations.

Now, if you want to compare it with a carbon steel, I would hope the carbon steel gets a little harder, but the 4116 is no slouch.

AF and DangerZone98 like this.
  15. whp

whp

Apr 26, 2009
    Before I discovered the Lawman, I considered my Pm 2 my best edc for all around use. Now I consider my PM 2 my light use edc, and my American Lawman my heavy use edc.

16. JB1964

JB1964

Jul 24, 2006

I'm also interested in the Bush Ranger. As far as I remember there was a problem with the screws on the clip. Is this (still) true?

dogstar likes this.
  17. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    I have SK-5 Recon Tanto and can confirm it. It holds solid edge, and it takes beating like a champ. I never experienced any rolling or chipping yet I even used it trying to chop through a log on place directly under V fork of dry wood. I swung that thing like a madman on many occassions and I never experienced any damage.

DangerZone98 and dogstar like this.
  18. Josephldoyle

Josephldoyle

Dec 30, 2008
    I haven't had a single issue with this knife.

JB1964 likes this.
  19. Catclaws

Catclaws

May 24, 2020
    i want a Steven Seagull Signature Katana Sword but i dont now any one who has one

20. nephron

nephron Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 3, 2017
    At $1099.99 MSRP I don't think they sold many, looks nice though.