Upcoming Bolstered Scales

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by Fiddleback, May 19, 2020.

1. Fiddleback

Fiddleback Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Oct 19, 2005
    I'm having a lot of fun doing bolsters lately.

Finished scale sets today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sanded knife handles today. These are new materials and new ways I am approaching materials as well. These pics were before buffing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Peppermint.

[​IMG]

TPVT, B Griffin, Night Rider and 18 others like this.
  2. Random Dan

Random Dan Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 21, 2012
    Oh man those look great.

Kenneth F Huls, VANCE and Fiddleback like this.
  3. lmalterna

lmalterna Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 12, 2002
    I like the shorter bolsters. Cool when a craftsman finds a new twist ;) Keeps the mind fresh.

Bill

Kenneth F Huls, rpdur and Fiddleback like this.
  4. SneezySky

SneezySky Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 23, 2017
    Looks great! For some reason, they actually look kinda tasty.

VANCE and Fiddleback like this.
  5. Rufus Magnus

Rufus Magnus

Nov 8, 2019
    i like the new approach

6. JRTufts

JRTufts Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 11, 2020
    @Fiddleback awesome scale/bolster combos. The color pins look great also. I’m looking forward to seeing the finished knives!

7. Random Dan

Jan 21, 2012
    Also is that green cross cut micarta I see?

8. Fishcharmer

Fishcharmer Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2020
    So sexy..

Kenneth F Huls and VANCE like this.
  9. Fiddleback

Fiddleback Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Oct 19, 2005
    Good eye. Yes they are. I'm so into Crosscut micarta.

TPVT, Kenneth F Huls and Hulk2e like this.
  10. Random Dan

Jan 21, 2012
    One of the coolest looking synthetics. I was thinking recently that it would look super cool to have cross-cut scales and bolsters of the same material but with the "grain" oriented perpendicular, especially with pinstriping.

Kenneth F Huls and Fiddleback like this.
  11. Choppaman

Choppaman Gold Member Gold Member

May 6, 2017
    Great stuff Andy!! I’m glad to see some different materials and ideas!! Keeps me coming for more and more and more. :D Keep up the great work my friend. :thumbsup:

12. varga49

varga49

May 1, 2016
    Wow We’ve entered the New Era of handles/scales...Awesomeness :):thumbsup::thumbsup:

13. Hulk2e

Hulk2e

Dec 18, 2014
    Wow, I’m typically not a jade fan but these look awesome. I love the colored pins. So many color combination possibilities. Is the white/red layered G10 or something like turbo quartz?

Kenneth F Huls and Fiddleback like this.
  14. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Gold Member

Mar 13, 2006
    white and red linen

Kenneth F Huls likes this.
  15. Warrior108

Warrior108 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Looks outstanding Andy! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

16. Fiddleback

Oct 19, 2005
    Thanks!!! Thats linen layered together on the red an white.

Hulk2e and Kenneth F Huls like this.
  17. Kenneth F Huls

Kenneth F Huls Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 11, 2012
    My wallet is terrified!

18. Kenneth F Huls

Jul 11, 2012
    Huge fan of what you guys are doing with bringing the pinstripes and/or liners up and across the bolster/scale juncture (with or without accent stripe). I know this is a lot of work, but the artistic results speak for themselves and demonstrate both refined skill and aesthetic. IMHO, it is well worth the extra work.

In some respects, at least to me, it is like a TT vs SFT. Necessary? No. But it sets the work and product even further apart from the ever-growing pack of competent artist-craftsmen in this truly Golden Age of fine American knives.

I admire the dedication to the refinement of an already beautiful, distinctive, and highly functional work of art and craft. Given your reputation and success in the industry, it would be so easy to rest on your laurels (as many somewhat similarly situated have historically done). Much like with the addition of “newer” steel choices (but at the same time by not jumping on every “super steel” fad) your continued efforts to further elevate your product is rarely seen, and is both admirable and appreciated by the knowledgeable enthusiasts who are your customers (I hesitate to speak for all, so to speak, but it is a good bet I am right!).

I am no one, but I have been a humble collector and hard field-user of fine hand made American knives and other blade types since the late ‘70’s (I saved for and obtained my first Randall in ‘78 at age 12). So, for what it is worth from me, ...
    Kudos, Andy & Co.

Kudos, indeed.

Now, to find a Barracuda (and Bushraptor ?!) in this bolster treatment . . . . I will try to be patient!

19. Fiddleback

Oct 19, 2005
    Wow!! Thank you Sir!!!

Kenneth F Huls likes this.
  20. Kenneth F Huls

Jul 11, 2012
    You are very welcome, Andy!
    Thank you very much for acknowledging the humble observations and words of a new “patron.”
    It is non-hyperbolic praise, well-earned and apparent to all.