1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

Updated Mule Cabinet

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by phillipsted, Jul 21, 2013.

1. phillipsted

phillipsted

Oct 4, 2010
    I purchased a small curio cabinet from an online vendor a couple of years ago, outfitted it with LED lighting and have been using it to display some of my Mule collection. Just thought I would add some updated pics with the current rotation.

TedP

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. CR33

CR33 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2011
    I remember seeing your cabinet a while back. That is amazing work on the cabinet and your mules.

3. Cursum Perficio

Cursum Perficio Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Wow! Just... beautiful...

4. thurin

thurin Wanderer

Dec 19, 2012
    Your Mule work is incredible. What a great way to display them.

Couple questions: What's the top row middle? And the 2nd row right?

5. ice-pic

ice-pic Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Well done.
    I like the lighting is it led rope-lights on each side?

6. pilgrimuk

pilgrimuk

Apr 18, 2006
    VERY impressive, thanks for sharing! :thumbup:

7. ice-pic

ice-pic Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I just read the original post quote "I picked up an LED light strip kit from Home Depot",I thought I remembered that; memory is still working just slow in the morning.

8. phillipsted

phillipsted

Oct 4, 2010
    Thanks, guys! It certainly is a labor of love.

Thurin, the top row center is a Swick 2 with purpleheart scales. The second row right is a WoodCraft Mule with two-toned ebony scales.

I've also got three non-Spyderco blades in the case. Top row right is a damascus blade with leopardwood scales. Fourth row from the top has two damascus blades - the left one is in Coolibah burl, the right one is a feather damascus blade is curly koa wood.

TedP

9. Brisket

Brisket

Aug 2, 2009
    If i'm not mistaken the top row middle is a Swick 2 and the 2nd row right is a Woodcraft Mule.

I'm trying to figure out what is on the 4th row. On the right it looks it might be one of Bill Akers (Backwoods) blade blanks but I'm clueless on the 4th row left identity.

edit: TedP - Beautiful work on the case as well as its contents. Would you mind elaborating a little more on the 4th row and what is the wood on the bottom row left? Thanks

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  10. Shaggy

Shaggy

Jan 30, 2012
    Beautiful Mules, Ted! You've certainly put a lot of thought and time into making those incredible scales. I'm still in awe from your most recent....the two-tone burl. Have you selected a wood type yet for the K390?

-Greg

11. phillipsted

phillipsted

Oct 4, 2010
    Thanks, guys!

And good catch, Brisket. I did those damascus blades a couple of years ago and had to go look them up. You are right - one of them is a Backwoods blade by Bill Akers. The other one on the fourth row is from Two-Finger Knives.

The bottom row left is one of my recent projects - it is made from a two-tone rosewood burl. You can see some more pics of it here.

And Shaggy, I'm still picking the next set of scales for the K390. I'm toying with a beautiful piece of figured Cascara (from Mark at Burl Source) backed with a thin blue G10 liner. My other option is to try and tame this wild red and yellow piece of Australian Vasticola burl sitting on my bench. It hasn't stopped moving around yet, so I'm a little hesitant to pick it up. But this piece is SERIOUSLY beautiful. It looks something like this (pic from Jim at AustralianBurls):

[​IMG]

TedP

12. philllll

philllll Gold Member Gold Member

May 23, 2013
    I love the contrast in the wood scales on the one on the second row from top left, and the one on the bottom left.

13. phillipsted

phillipsted

Oct 4, 2010
    Thanks, phillll! That's a really cool slab of stabilized Amboyna burl on the second row.

TedP

14. gine

gine

Sep 2, 2007
    Very nice:]

15. Barman1

Barman1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Great work! You've motivated me to fabricate some scales for my new Elmax mule now. :)

16. zeroed4x

zeroed4x

Jun 29, 2013
    That is the most impressive collection of Mules that I think I've ever seen. Awesome cabinet too.

17. gooeytek

gooeytek

Jul 12, 2011
    Wow, that is a great-looking showcase!

18. The Mastiff

The Mastiff

Apr 21, 2006
    I love pretty much all wood , especially the hardwoods and I really like your setup Ted. Very nice cabinet with some really excellent wood grips on all those knives. Thanks for showing it to us.

Joe

19. quigibo

quigibo

Dec 29, 2012
    They're all beautiful! I really like 2nd from the bottom right hand side.

20. Shaggy

Shaggy

Jan 30, 2012
    So...............which is your favorite, Ted? (scales, that is)