1. The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them.

UPS flat rate shipping - new service

Discussion in 'FEEDBACK: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly!' started by razor-edge-knives, May 12, 2020.

1. razor-edge-knives

razor-edge-knives Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 3, 2011
    It's about time!!!

just saw this on my account, apparently it was enacted end of last year but wanted to let everyone know (in case you didn't). Good news for those of us who don't like USPS - personally I use stamps.com w/ their private insurance which has been stunningly amazing (and quick) all 3 times I've had to make a claim :)

Anyway, this is pretty sweet.

https://www.ups.com/us/en/services/shipping/simple-rate.page

[​IMG]

2. annr

annr

Nov 15, 2006
    Thanks for posting this! I’ve been trying to figure out how to mail certain things and will check this out!

Does one need to have an account?

razor-edge-knives likes this.
  3. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    Not sure... that's how I do it but I imagine it's available in the stores too.

4. annr

annr

Nov 15, 2006
    Thanks. Last question for now: do they pick-up? If so, do you use this service?

razor-edge-knives likes this.
  5. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    They do but it's extra... Since I'm home all the time I normally just wait until they drop a package off and hand them the one going out.

annr likes this.
  6. Norcaldude

Norcaldude Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2014
    So, does UPS just pick these up and then hand them over to the USPS to actually deliver them?

Monofletch and razor-edge-knives like this.
  7. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    No, not that I'm aware of - that's only some special economy thing if you have a prior agreement with them.

8. other memory

other memory Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 15, 2012
    Thanks. I think we need alternatives if USPS isn't allowed to reform.

9. Monofletch

Monofletch Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jan 14, 2010
    USPS delivers a lot of UPS and Fedex stuff. Look at your packages when you get them. It’s SmartPost and SurePost. USPS will more than likely be picking this up as we do all their returns.

ONeill and Norcaldude like this.
  10. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    Well the service where ups hands off to usps is called surepost (yep, smartpost for fedex) but it must be selected when shipping. As per the link above it's different from ups ground (basically the cheaper option). All ups ground packages I've gotten or sent have been through ups alone.

"Note: UPS My Choice® Members can upgrade a UPS SurePost package to UPS Ground for an additional fee."

The three choices in the flat rate shipping are not anything to do with surepost from what I can find.

11. AVigil

AVigil Adam Vigil knifemaker working the grind Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Platinum Member

Feb 17, 2009
    I have shipped hundreds of packages with USPS, a couple hitches over a decade that all resolved just fine.

UPS, now that is another story. I have had more problems with a dozen of packages with UPS then hundreds with USPS.

Perfect example, was waiting for a package from UPS, tracking said Tuesday out for delivery, then it said Wednesday out for delivery, then Thursday out for delivery, then Friday it arrived smashed.

I avoid them at all cost.

WValtakis and pdxgti8v like this.
  12. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    Yeah I have had more issues with ups than usps as well, with the exception of filing an insurance claim through usps. But now I use a private insurance which has been mind blowing how flawless the claims process is.

13. annr

annr

Nov 15, 2006
    I checked out the sizes, and it is a bit tricky. My item would be considered "medium" due to the square shape of their packaging. Their shipping starts at $13 versus $7 with USPS. There are extra costs for residential pick-up and pick-up, so I don't think too many of my customers are going to want to absorb any of those costs. Good to know about...but for lesser priced items, I don't think this will fly unless it's a last resort and/or people get used to paying double++ for shipping.

14. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    True. But it is nice it have more options rather than less :)

15. T.L.E. Sharp

T.L.E. Sharp Oatmeal Pecan is better than Chocolate-chip.

Jun 30, 2016
    UPS offers "Hold for pickup" as well. A service I'm rather fond of. Have it held at the hub and pick it up when it's convenient for you rather than hoping the UPS truck doesn't break down or the package isn't stolen off of the porch.

razor-edge-knives and WValtakis like this.
  16. LastRodeo

LastRodeo Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 2, 2013
    I got to try out the UPS "hold for pickup" service when my delivery dude decided to pretend he attempted delivery, but no one answered the door.

17. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Will they deliver to a USPS P.O. box?