Urban bug out bag knife?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Smiling, Mar 22, 2020.

1. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    So, on top of the coronavirus situation, I was woken up by a strong earthquake this morning.

Within next few hours there was series of around 10 more weaker earhquakes, and yes, there's lots of damage on the infrastructure, some areas are out of electricity, there's damage in most of hospitals, weather stations and service providers took some damage as well.
    People massivley came out on the streets despite self isolation measures and major lockdown (even public transport has been shut down). We are now told that worst is yet to come regarding the earthquakes, and to expect even more of them within next 30 days.

We are all instructed to pack our essentials in bags and keep them near the exit so it's easy to pick them up on the way out.
    I never thought I would be making bug out bag, but here I am.

I opted for Drop Forged Hunter as main knife, but I'm considering packing in Recon Tanto as well, Boker GoBag is in my pocket anyways.
    I'd like to hear your opinions about it.

Other stuff I packed are 2 lighters, meds, deodorant, underwear and stuff like that, bottle of water and protein bars. If you have any tips what else I could pack I would greatly appreciate it.

Situation here is bad as tents that were built by the army with intention of making temporary hospital for infected people are now being used as shelter for patients from damaged hospitals and people who have to leave their homes due to damage.

DangerZone98 likes this.
  2. Randanator

Randanator

Aug 19, 2018
    If it was me, I'd take a multi tool and 6 inch fixed blade in my bag, and a folder of my choice clipped to my pocket. Should cover most things.

strategy9, Lee D, sabre cat and 3 others like this.
  3. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    My sibling has multi tool, I just added Recon Tanto in my bag as well. I also have Fallkniven DC4 sharpener which is like made for this situation.

Black Oak Bladeworks and Barman1 like this.
  4. TheTourist

TheTourist Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 23, 2019
    I think you covered the bulk of it. I would add a "strip" of cartridges that fit your personal firearm, just in case. However, I have become a traditionalist with edged tools. I have been carrying a Cold Steel Bush Ranger. Yeah, I know, it's the "basic Edsel" of the cutlery world, but isn't that the point?

If I had to run--and that goes against my grain--I would carry several of those "visitor soaps" you get at hotels and motels. Easy to tote, and just being clean seems to wake people up. I have also switched over to a SW .38 SPL. For last minute needs, simple is better.

bigsurbob, Randanator and Smiling like this.
  5. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    I don't have a firearm.

And "visitor soaps" I took with me from my last hotel visits are exactly what I have packed in.
    I also have powerbank and phone chargers.

TheTourist and Randanator like this.
  6. Randanator

Randanator

Aug 19, 2018
    Funny you mention that DC4 because I've been thinking about getting a small stone as a backup sharpener. I left my Sharpmaker at a friend's house, and my knives are getting dull.

Lee D and Smiling like this.
  7. CHNeal

CHNeal Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 24, 2019
    G19 edit never mind just saw your last post.

Randanator likes this.
  8. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    It was on some major discount in nearby store since they had relocation issues, so I said "why not?" and bought it. Reason more is that I wanted something I can use on the go, but doesn't need water like classic stones and works better than those things where you just pull the blade through.

I'm really glad I got it.

Lee D likes this.
  9. GIRLYmann

GIRLYmann

Nov 7, 2005
    honestly? pls get a plier tool.of your own.
    also if you able to - a beater like this

and good luck over there !

10. CHNeal

CHNeal Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 24, 2019
    If you have access to cash get all you can. I agree on a good multi too. The Leatherman surge is worth all 11 oz in a bag. Hard candy goes a long way to build a bit of moral when needed. Also stick with family and loved ones. It’s not the time to make friends. These kinds of things bring out the worst in people. Be safe be aware. Good luck young man.

sabre cat and Smiling like this.
  11. Randanator

Randanator

Aug 19, 2018
    That's what I wish I would have gotten instead of my Ontario SP8. Thing just doesn't really take an edge.

GIRLYmann likes this.
  12. Randanator

Randanator

Aug 19, 2018
    I'll probably get one when all this blows over. That, and a Wicked Edge Pro :)

Smiling likes this.
  13. marchone

marchone Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2013
    I would add N95 masks, eye protection, medical grade disposable gloves, and hand sanitizer.

14. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    I have pliers and thanks for reccomendation, I just threw them in too.

Right now I have to work with what I have, everything is closed, even delivery services aren't working as far as I know.
    Well that's the plan, ATM isn't that far away from me, but IDK if it works due to power issues. Also, only wired interent works, even though it's slow and breaks a lot.
    4G (LTE) isn't available on either of providers networks here, sometimes even the basic signal goes out, I guess we just have to go through this somehow and wait it out.

Regarding weapons, if I go somewhere, I'll go with pepper spray on my belt and Recon Tanto in my jacket. I'm athletic built and strong since I lift, also I have some basic martial art training. I'm not trained to fight with knife tho, it's basic training but hey it's something.
    And my dog will be with me, and people usually take that large mutt seriously when she shows them teeth. So I doubt I'll have problems.
    I have none of these, just very small bottle of alcohol sanitizer and that's all.

GIRLYmann likes this.
  15. mqqn

mqqn Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2009
    A portable radio and batteries.

best

mqqn

Lee D, Insipid Moniker and GIRLYmann like this.
  16. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    I checked the recent quakes.... 2.5-3 in west coast. Indonesia had some big ones. Croatia had the largest continental quakes this morning. Where are you?

I don't really have a bug out bag. I think in terms of bug out "tub" (big Rubbermaid tub) geared toward bugging via motor vehicle. Knives..... lots of to choose from, but I don't see a knife being all that critical other than your usual edc (but I generally would choose something a little larger than my usual edc for anything that potentially involves days versus a day). Army type mess kit perhaps, but they are heavy.

Small first aid kit, a N95 mask (not just for the virus, but for dust), some water and maybe a potable filtration system for water and a stainless cup you can cook in if you have to. Back packing stuff basically.....

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  17. numbersman

numbersman

Nov 28, 2010
    You could probably do with some extra water. Maybe some dried beans in addition to the protein bars, although with the extra fibre you might need some...toilet paper! How about a tarpaulin and some cord for making a simple shelter? I would also up the first aid component of your bag, with some bandaids, a few simple bandages and some tape for securing them, a triangular bandage for a sling. And a bandanna, it has many uses.

18. Retired UPS Driver

Retired UPS Driver Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2019
    Pack extra socks, shoe laces, length of paracord. Socks can be used for multiple purposes beyond just your feet. Drop something 8oz or so into the sock and you can swing it as an improvised weapon, cut down both sides and it becomes a tourniquet or length of material to use to wrap around your mouth and nose or a sweat band, it can be put on your dogs feet to help protect from debris, fill with whatever you want to carry and it’s an extra bag, fill with soft materials and use a couple for a quick pillow, the uses are only limited by your imagination.

19. abcdef

abcdef

Oct 28, 2005
    Dental floss. Leather gloves.

Lee D, JJHollowman, sabre cat and 3 others like this.