Uses for Cadet file

Discussion in 'Multi-tools & Multi-purpose Knives' started by EagleIH, May 19, 2020.

1. EagleIH

EagleIH Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Hi folks,

I carried an alox Soldier for many years, and then I moved away from it. I'm now looking at of course the Pioneer, but also the Cadet. I love the Pioneer, but the location of the keyring nub bothers me a bit. The keyring nub on the Cadet seems a little more comfortable. I can live without an awl, but I'm wondering what I can do with the file. I'm not really a nail file kind of guy. What other useful things have y'all used the file for that can't be done with the other tools that are also on the Cadet? Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

2. marsturm

marsturm Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 25, 2008
    The tip works on small phillips head screws, and the square edges strike a good spark from the small ferro rod I carry in my wallet.
    In addition the file works well my nails!

Storm 8593 likes this.
  3. CSG

CSG

Dec 15, 2007
    I don't think that design of file is much good for anything other than fingernails or soft material.

4. Stelth

Stelth

Jul 15, 2007
    If you like shredded fingernails and fingernail dust it is superb at doing that.

5. guy g

guy g Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 22, 2000
    The point of the file is also good at getting into a crevasse to clean out debris

6. CSG

CSG

Dec 15, 2007
    Any fingernail file will cause "dust" but I think I like the pebbled file more than the file on my recently acquired Executive, at least for manicuring my nails.

Getting older likes this.
  7. jazzz

jazzz

Feb 1, 2009
    Me too.

8. Stelth

Stelth

Jul 15, 2007
    That's why I use clippers.

9. Country_Squire

Country_Squire

Apr 7, 2019
    I ended up sharpening the tip of my cadets file a little bit. It made it much better for cleaning under dirty nails, scribing lines, or even starting small holes for screws.

allenC, guy g and TrapperMike like this.
  10. TrapperMike

TrapperMike

Nov 23, 2016
    I also filed down the tip and sharpened the edges by the tip some and used it like an awl. It wasn't to bad for starting holes. Made a good pick also.

allenC, NMpops and guy g like this.
  11. DocT

DocT

Mar 25, 2012
    It is good for digging out tight areas when cleaning something. It is good for filing plastic or wooden parts. It will work on some phillips screws. Personally, I would prefer a reamer or scissors, especially scissors. We need a Cadet X.

jackknife, Lee D, TrapperMike and 2 others like this.
  12. jackknife

jackknife Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Oct 2, 2004
    YES!!!!!

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    Stelth likes this.
  13. jackknife

jackknife Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Oct 2, 2004
    Its all in the pressure you use. With a light touch, it leaves a very smooth nail edge. I've used both the pebbled file on the classic and the cut file on the executive and they both do a good job if you don't act like you're trying to fit an ax handle to the head.

I've also used the nail file to smooth out a rough edge on some plastic shooting glasses we bought for our granddaughter to use at the range. They had a bit of rough like over molding on the nose part, and the SAK nail file took it right off.

It also helps to file the tip just a little flat so it fits down in the Phillips head a bit better.

And like mentions, it make a great dining/poking/probing tool.

14. Stelth

Stelth

Jul 15, 2007
    Thanks for trying but I'd prefer an awl or scissors.

Lee D likes this.
  15. NMpops

NMpops

Aug 9, 2010
    I find the file pretty much useless and would prefer a small pen blade. i.e. Cadet II

Stelth and bobo_the_gnu like this.
  16. James Y

James Y

Feb 18, 1999
    I would like to see the Cadet with an awl or small pen blade (but especially an awl) instead of the nail file. Basically, a smaller, thinner Pioneer.

Jim

Lee D and Stelth like this.
  17. jazzz

jazzz

Feb 1, 2009
    Needs to be a new model. A lot of us like nice fingernails.

18. WhoseWoodsTheseAre

WhoseWoodsTheseAre

Jun 4, 2020
    I use it to smooth rough edges.

Today I received a new ID card that popped out of a larger piece of plastic. When I popped it out, sharp nubs of plastic were left around the rim of the card where it had been attached. . I filed them off using the Cadet file.