1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Recommendation? Vaccuum Chamber for Stabilizing

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by DeadFall27, May 25, 2019.

1. DeadFall27

DeadFall27 Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2011
    Hello everyone!

I was hoping to seek knowledge from those who stabilize wood and other materials themselves.

-I am looking into buying a chamber, vacuum, inner chamber and potentially a pressure pot. Are there any of the "starter kits" that are worth looking into? Or should I buy everything separate and make my own?

-Are pressure pots as necessary to push in the resin into the material as some say? Or is it precautionary and not something necessarily vital to the process?

-I have been reading up on the different types of resins used to stabilize. Cactus juice and Acryllic resins seem to be most popular. Is there a universal reason why one is better than the other? I have read many saying acrylic resins are best, but not why they might be better.

-What ruins wood when attempting to stabilize? What are the things to avoid or look for? I have seen basic how-to's, but never things for specific types of wood or warnings.

-When stabilizing, do you stabilize only one wood at a time, or can you mix them all in the same batch? Can woods with high pitch contents ruin other blocks (Pine heartwood/fatwood/pitchwood/etc)? I'd like to attempt to stabilize a piece of pine heart and make something with it.

I apologize for my questions, I appreciate your time and feedback. Please have a wonderful day and take care!!

-DeadFall27

2. kmf600

kmf600

Jul 2, 2018
    Not an expert, but I just use a large pickle jar and a harbor Freight vacuum pump with cactus juice. You can get plastic hose and fittings from home depot.

3. Alex Topfer

Alex Topfer

May 1, 2019
    I would think that once you have the air out of the wood then releasing the vacuum is going to force resin into the wood under atmospheric pressure. Maybe putting it under pressure would do it faster, but doesn't seem like it would make much if a difference?

4. Don Hanson III

Don Hanson III KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 3, 2002
    Sending wood blocks to K&G is by far the best method! But I do use cactus juice under vacuum with good results. Fat pine won't stibilize.

5. Ken H>

Ken H>

Dec 31, 2011
    Go with Cactus Juice. Read here for first learning:
    https://www.turntex.com/help-center/cactus-juice-stabilizing-resources/61-vacuum-explanation

Next read this page:
    https://www.turntex.com/help-center/cactus-juice-stabilizing-resources/60-using-cactus-juice

The few times I've called Curtis he's been VERY helpful and returns calls if you leave a msg. I wouldn't worry about asking questions anywhere of anybody, Curtis has the experience and knowledge to make it work.

The best woods to stabilize are an open pore wood and must be VERY dry. Most spalted woods will work good, maple, etc. Many woods like American Black Walnut just doesn't work very well at all for home stabilizing, but K&G can do a GREAT job on the same wood.

Yes, you can mix woods at same time in pot. I doubt even K&G would stabilize pitch pine (fat pine?).

6. scott kozub

scott kozub Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I use a glass pasta container so I can see the bubbles with a plate of aluminum on top with a rubber gasket and a harbour freight vacuum pump.

Still not as good as professionally stabilized blocks but if figure if someone wants plain wood handle it won't hurt.

7. Lieblad

Lieblad

Jul 24, 2015
    I use an oldschool cast aluminum pressure canner and vacuum pump is compressor from a scrapped 'fridge. But cant see what going on inside. Just draw vacuum and let it sit a few hours.
    Not too much using it however and since its no longer properly oiled, I expect compressor to seize up someday. But I give its input a few drips of whatever is handy, and its worked several years now...