Vantage (small) talk

Discussion in 'Buck Knives' started by TXoutback, Mar 7, 2021.

1. TXoutback

TXoutback

Apr 17, 2010
    I had the original Vantage Pro a long time ago and lost it. The replacement was an Avid with grey dymondwood, but I still wanted the S30V steel. By the time I bought a new Pro, they had switched over to the pinned assembly.

Everyone was mad about the pinned assembly because they said you couldn't take it down for cleaning, but I found on my pinned Pro that the little dowel that guides the blade along the track for stops taps out easily, allowing the blade to be removed.

So I swapped my S30V Pro blade onto the old-style Avid frame and its almost like my original lost Pro.

Am I crazy if I buy a Select model because I think I might prefer having the thinner, all-black, one-piece, FRN scales on my Pro?

plb, revnewk, Ole Joe Clark and 2 others like this.
  2. longbow1968

longbow1968

Sep 9, 2020
    I think sometimes we start to assume that certain new features are needed on every knife or it is somehow less desirable. I have a large Select and love it. Does it open as well as a model with bearings? No. Is it a bit slick in the hand and lacking any jimping and whatnot? Yes. Not knocking those features, but the knives that I carry the most don’t have any of that stuff either. I love that this thing comes in and out of the pocket without tearing the edge of my jeans. Best clip ever in my opinion.
    [​IMG]

plb, revnewk, Bloefield and 7 others like this.
  3. plb

plb

Jun 22, 2013
    The select handle is a little on the slick side but not bad once you get used to it. Aside from a Cabelas Alaskan Guide, here are all of the different versions I'm aware of that Buck made of the Vantage small.

[​IMG]

4. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    nope not crazy. I myself prefer that grey dymondwood conversion ya already have, if I read it right? its your knife if ya want it, ain't a ton of money for the select. do it if ya feel like it.

revnewk, plb, TXoutback and 2 others like this.
  5. Ole Joe Clark

Ole Joe Clark

Oct 3, 2018
    I have both, I carry the small one daily, and also the large one when I go out. If I am working in the yard I substitute my 285 Bantam for the large Vantage. It's my whacker.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

[​IMG]

mbkr, pjsjr, revnewk and 3 others like this.
  6. TXoutback

TXoutback

Apr 17, 2010
    My original Pro small model had a one-peice all-black G10 handle (not an inlay). What is the one at the top you have there?

plb likes this.
  7. plb

plb

Jun 22, 2013
    The top has dark green (almost black) PaperStone handles made in 2011. Both the Small and Large were made with that material for a short time and has a very nice feel to it. Also, the 342 pictured is from 2014 and has the inlay. I also found that some other versions of the Small have been made but in limited quantities as follows:

Vantage Pro + Copper and Clad red and black G-10 with s35vn steel.

2018 0341BO-B Build out with ivory micarta and 13c26 steel.

2019 BCCI maroon micarta with Damascus blade.

Yellowhorse Bull Elk with Red bloody Jasper handles with partial chip flint 420hc blade.

TXoutback likes this.
  8. jbmonkey

Jun 9, 2011
    thats paperstone. I know cause i have a handful of them myself in the large size.

TXoutback likes this.
  9. TXoutback

TXoutback

Apr 17, 2010
    I tried making some hickory scales for a vantage small using a drill press, belt sander, and files. I plan to start over and be more careful with the centering and depth of the countersinks.

Much more comfortable than the factory scales, especially with liner lock covered on the non-functioning side. If my second try turns out good, I might try a sho sugi ban and oil finish.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bloefield, TheJon, redcanoe and 5 others like this.
  10. jbmonkey

Jun 9, 2011
    looks good. nice work.

11. GPyro

GPyro Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 18, 2019
    Agreed.
    Wood scales on a Vantage makes for an awesome knife.

jbmonkey likes this.