1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

VG-10 vs ZA-18

Discussion in 'Kitchen Cutlery & Tools' started by BatonoPeilis, Mar 29, 2019.

1. ZA-18

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. VG-10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. BatonoPeilis

BatonoPeilis

Mar 29, 2019
    Hello,
    Right now I'm using Carl Schmidt Sohn knife with x40Cr13 steel and thinking about the upgrade. I'm considering betvene Kanetsugu pro-j series with ZA-18 steel and Saiun with vg-10 steel. Is there any major differences between them. Or should I save some money and go with pro-m series?

2. KenHash

KenHash Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    If I remember correctly Aichi's ZA-18 is suppose to be very similar to N690 which in turn is close to VG10. So I would be quite a jump up
    from x40Cr13 which I've heard is on a par with 420J2. If that's correct then yes even a Moly-Van/8A like the Pro-J will be an upgrade.
    If you really want to "upgrade" though look at powder steels like R2(SG2) and SRS15.

3. BatonoPeilis

BatonoPeilis

Mar 29, 2019
    I would like to get myself an SRS15 or R2 steel knife but it's over my budget. Looking for something under 150€.

4. KenHash

Sep 11, 2014
    That's a real borderline price limit. I make Euros 150 to be about USD 168.00 now.
    You can find R2 knives as low as USD 175.00 in the U.S. but I don't know shipping
    cost would be.

5. BatonoPeilis

BatonoPeilis

Mar 29, 2019
    I found few shops in USA but they usually send knife through DHL and it costs around 40$ just for shipment, depending on the weight of the knife.

6. KenHash

Sep 11, 2014
    Yes I understand. It costs USD 20.00 to ship a knife by DHL from just Canada to the U.S., so that makes sense.

7. Cambertree

Cambertree Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2014
    They're both excellent kitchen knife steels and there's so little between them, I doubt anyone could tell the difference in practice. I've used both steels quite a bit. I'd look at any other differences like handle design, blade geometry etc. As I recall the Pro-Js have a kind of sabre-ish grind to them. As the Saiuns have a hamaguri/convex style grind, that would be my personal preference.

BatonoPeilis likes this.