1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Vibratory Tumbler

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Ocelot85, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Ocelot85

Ocelot85

Feb 1, 2012
    Is the larger model tumbler from Harbor Freight worth it for tumbling small blades? I saw a few reviews that seemed to be from knife makers who said it worked alright. I'm looking to try tumbling some of my smaller EDC blades with ceramic media to give a stonewash finish. Anyone have first hand experience with one of these models?

https://www.harborfreight.com/18-lb-vibratory-bowl-with-liquid-drain-hose-96923.html

2. jll346

jll346 Knife maker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2006
    Works EXCELLENT! Get a 20 or possibly a 25% coupon and its a bargain. Liam Hoffman recommend It to me. He uses his a ton and his work speaks for itself!!

Jim

Ocelot85 likes this.
  3. Robert Erickson

Robert Erickson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 2, 2014
    Yep, just got one and it works great. I can't speak for it's longevity but so far it's been great. I wish I would have gotten one sooner. It's easy to use. I bought 15lbs of ceramic media and filled it roughly 2/3 full of windex and it's ready to go. About 20-30min is what I've been doing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jll346 and Ocelot85 like this.
  4. Lieblad

Lieblad

Jul 24, 2015
    Glad to hear of good reviews on it.
    Fwiw, I would look into making it variable speed. Vibratory tumbling is a science to itself. So many variables play into it. Size & shape of parts, type of abrasive and speed.
    Having a fixed speed seriously hinders. But once speed is dialed in right, parts can roll thru like a beauty.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    P.Brewster likes this.
  5. Ocelot85

Ocelot85

Feb 1, 2012
    Those blades look really nice! Do you do a etch or media blast before tumbling or just straight from the belts to the tumbler?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    Robert Erickson likes this.
  6. Robert Erickson

Robert Erickson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 2, 2014
    Thanks! I etched in FeCl for 5 min before tumbling.

Ocelot85 likes this.
  7. JAGKNIFE

JAGKNIFE

Jan 10, 2012
    Check the gun equipment stories on line such as cheaper than dirt and midway etc. I picked up one on one of those sites for about $50 and it worked like a Champ.

Ocelot85 likes this.
  8. razor-edge-knives

razor-edge-knives Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 3, 2011
    I have that hf tumbler and it works pretty good for matte stonewashes, but don't expect to get a nice polished stonewash from it - it does not have enough energy or mass to do that. That's why I want to step up to a mr deburr!

Ocelot85 likes this.