Victorinox Nylon

Discussion in 'Multi-tools & Multi-purpose Knives' started by 315, Jun 7, 2020.

1. 315

315 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2017
    I picked up a Victorinox Camper for an extremely good price with the matte nylon scales the other day. I’ve had a few with nylon scales but hadn’t thought about it much until now. I will admit I think I actually like them better than this standard scales.

[​IMG]

A Huntsman I keep in the truck.

[​IMG]

A couple of Hunters. The red one stays in a small water bladder pack, the green one has been to Africa, worked on deer, bear, elk, antelope and multiple other tasks over the last 16 years.

[​IMG]

Finally, a US marked current Soldier pattern with blackened tools. I wish the current Soldiers had a non-serrated blade though.

[​IMG]

James Y, jmh33, Ace Rimmer and 4 others like this.
  2. znapschatz

znapschatz

Jan 24, 2005
    That was my initial reaction to the serrations, but with time and a fair amount of use, I find they are more handy than I initially thought. In more than a dozen years, I find the serrations are useful not only for dealing with foliage and other natural materials, but also little or no problem with ordinary cutting needs. Give them a try and see what you think.

James Y, jmh33, willc and 1 other person like this.
  3. jackknife

jackknife Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 2, 2004
    YES!

Victorinox serrations are great for all around use. I was a bit skeptical at first, but now I LOVE the Vic serrations. I wish they had more of the models, especially alox, with them.

And as far as the nylon scales; I really wish Victorinox would just stop plaguing us with that d---ed cellidor and make the nylon THE standard scale material. For a bit over a year now I've ben using the ever lovin dog poo out of a Vic garden/florist knife and so far I haven't made a dent in it. Way more durable material than that 'other' stuff they insist on using.

Storm 8593, shopdoc, mitch13 and 6 others like this.
  4. powernoodle

powernoodle Power Member

Jul 21, 2004
    [​IMG]
    Nylon scales undergoing time dilation yo.

[​IMG]

mitch13, jmh33 and 315 like this.
  5. 315

315 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2017
    The one thing about the serrations I could live with would be to flip the position on the blade where they are. Put the serrations at the rear of the blade.

6. jazzz

jazzz

Feb 1, 2009
    Yes, like Spyderco, like they should be.

7. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    I'll only carry the nylon, don't like the cellidor at all. I just wish it was easier to find in 91mm.

shopdoc and 315 like this.
  8. Stelth

Stelth

Jul 15, 2007
    Cellidor sucks.

shopdoc likes this.
  9. paulhilborn

paulhilborn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Don't have any with nylon scales so will have to check it out. love Cellidor.

10. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    I have no problems buying Cellidor, but the "economy line " nylon scales are better.
    I don't know why the stronger more solid scales are the " economy line " beyond those larger ones that only come in nylon, but I'm guessing it's because the cellidor is shinier flashier and might be assumed as more expensive to some people.

I can think of no other reason they'd call the better scales " economy "

Storm 8593, allenC, jux t and 2 others like this.
  11. jlomein

jlomein

Apr 27, 2009
    After buying a huge batch of used SAKs, nylon is 100% better than cellidor scales. Grippy, durable, and hides minor scratches. I only wish they came with metal inlay Victorinox logos instead of paint.

Beyond nylon, I must say that the EvoGrip scales are the best. In pictures I thought they looked cheesy, but for only $5 I got a used EvoGrip 10 and it really has the nicest feel.

allenC, James Y, Pomsbz and 1 other person like this.
  12. GIRLYmann

GIRLYmann

Nov 7, 2005
    agreed! nylon is more forgiving for wear.
    dull matt scales suits me fine.
    imo, with the right lighting, glossy red knives
    are pretty attractive juicy red attention grabbers ripe for point of purchase
    store displays.
    thanks to those serrations, i manage to
    buy a used and dull as a doornail oh trapper from someone who obviously didn't tthink
    the edge could be brought back to life :)
    not the best looking serrations and victorinox should have left at least a centimeter or less to allow for a better
    formed pointy tip....

jux t and 315 like this.
  13. jmh33

jmh33 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Bring on NYLON in colors!!!:D:thumbsup::cool:
    John

Ace Rimmer and Pomsbz like this.
  14. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    I dyed my nylon black if it helps on this 84mm and 91mm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and then sanded off the dye for effect

[​IMG]

allenC, mitch13, James Y and 4 others like this.
  15. jmh33

Mar 16, 2003
    Nicely done!!! :cool:
    John

Pomsbz likes this.
  16. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    I dyed that 'worn effect' one back to full black some time after that pic. These aren't a great job of dying to be honest, I used Rit Dye More Synthetic, the darkest they have is 'graphite' and it doesn't dye very deep, you can still see the red coming through in some lighting. It also starts to rub off after a bit. I would like to find a better solution. That and a supply of more nylon scales for playing with!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
    jmh33 likes this.
  17. jmh33

Mar 16, 2003
    Since Vic already makes various patterns/handles in a few colors.. Why not the 84s, 91s and so on?? Red, orange, greens, yellow, white and a few more colors..;)
    John

18. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    They don't do it in cellidor though. These are dyed nylon. Nylon is so very much better than cellidor that I won't even consider cellidor scales.

jmh33 and Stelth like this.
  19. jlomein

jlomein

Apr 27, 2009
    I'd like to see the nylon stayglow handles in 74mm and 84mm.

jmh33 likes this.
  20. mitch13

mitch13 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 3, 2004
    Nice 1s mate.
    I too have a soldier, surprised that it wasn't a 2 blade option. I think the serrated versions, are good but the two handed versions work better full flat grind like a sak.
    The blue in the nylon is my favourite. The helmsman with serrated blade is my favourite 11mm to date. So much so I bought it twice, ran the original over with the mower :(
    [​IMG]

redsparrow, jmh33, 315 and 1 other person like this.