vintage axe

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by James Tebbs, Dec 15, 2018.

1. James Tebbs

James Tebbs

Dec 15, 2018
    Hiya, anyone know anything about this axe makers mark or its history?? Would be cool to know more about it!
    [​IMG]

2. jake pogg

jake pogg

Dec 20, 2015
    On my part the short answer would be NO.

Slightly expanded, it may be something like this:"This is a very typical axe for the Balkans.Used as an all-around,universal tool,meaning that for those regions it serves for chopping(both felling and bucking),and splitting,And hewing;differences in head and haft-shape between all those uses being slight and subtle.
    The particular axe in the photo is not very worn,it appears to be in an excellent,working,maintained shape and condition.
    Again by appearance i'd say that it came from a smallish manufacturer,and quite long ago,early 20th century.It was forged by hand,with only the blade ground afterwards,possibly even forge-welded also "by hand"(as in using small-scale industrial machinery where the work is manipulated by hand as it being worked by a machine).
    The touch-mark(those are probably cyrillic letters R and A) is a bit too nice for a a totally rustic village smith,nor yet would it be from a huge,industrial manufacturer either(those would be more complex and contain more info).
    All in all a well-made tool from a responsible maker who was not ashamed to brand it as theirs,and went as far as making a nice,bold mark for the purpose..."

ipt, Moonw, Yankee Josh and 3 others like this.
  3. Square_peg

Square_peg Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Did you buy it on ebay and was it from Bulgaria?

jake pogg likes this.
  4. Kevin Houtzager

Kevin Houtzager

Jun 25, 2017
    X

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    A17 likes this.
  5. FLINT77

FLINT77

Apr 8, 2013
    Interestingly, is the log he has the axe resting on has the same insect holes. Wherever he is must be infested!

A17 likes this.
  6. Fmont

Fmont

Apr 20, 2017
    It looks quite a bit like those Japanese bearded hatchets as well. Curious to see convergent evolution in hand tools as sometimes happens.

Moonw likes this.
  7. James Tebbs

James Tebbs

Dec 15, 2018
    it was off etsy and was from a bulgarian company, not sure if that was where it was made and used though

8. Fmont

Fmont

Apr 20, 2017
    I am definitely interested to know how Square_peg surmised that. This forum has proven invaluable.

9. A17

A17

Jan 9, 2018
    Saw something similar on ebay, perhaps?

10. Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    I'm sorry. I need to post warnings about these more often. There are tons of these Bull-garia axes being sold to the unsuspecting on ebay. They beat them up a little, rust them, sometimes hang them on rotten sticks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edit to add: The ebay axe pictured was likely legit. But beware of cheap fakes. They are out there.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    jake pogg, Fmont, Malpaso and 4 others like this.
  11. jake pogg

jake pogg

Dec 20, 2015
    Square-peg,i'm not sure that i'd agree as to the origin of that axe-possibly in some cases someone may find it worth the trouble to fake one using these Chinese forgings,but that's be kinda high-tech:)
    Bulgaria(Slovenia,Macedonia,Horvatia,Serbia,Kosovo,et c.:) are full of these genuinely old,country implements...many of them dirt-cheap...
    https://balkan.auction/bg/category/...strumenti-i-nozhove/bradvi-saturi/?offset=240

Square_peg likes this.
  12. Kevin Houtzager

Kevin Houtzager

Jun 25, 2017
    X

leghog and Fmont like this.
  13. Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    In any case cheap replicas are available for next to nothing and they have been ebay selling this style axe out of Bulgaria continuously for the past 5 years. I've seen hundreds of them go.

Fmont and jake pogg like this.
  14. ipt

ipt

May 14, 2013
    From what I can see from the picture of the autor of this tread the axe is a normal vintage handforged Bulgarian axe.
    It's extremely difficult to forge an axe like that.
    Believe me.
    Unfortunately I have to agree with Square_Peg that there is a tons of real forged Bulgarian bearded axes on ebay.
    As a comunist country we had a forging plant especially for axes and during the comunist years it was supposed to produse millions of axes...
    I'm just not agree thet they are fake.
    In general If you have some "axe culture" you can always recognize the chinese fake cast axe and the 100 years old Austrian axe that I'm selling on his pictures...
    Square_peg I think knows me well...
    As I remember he got one of the axes I'm producing...
    I'm reputable seller at ebay a the example with the vintage Austrian axehead I'm selling on ebay is not suitable.
    Here is a link to article about Bulgarian bearded axes:
    http://axessive.com/bulgarian-bearded-axes-hammer-and-sickle

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  15. Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    Yes, I have one of your 'Axe and Adze' tools and it is a high quality tool. I would trust buying from you. I don't know who all sells Bulgarian axes on ebay or whether they have your good character. Is it your opinion that most Bulgarian axes on ebay are genuine and of good quality?

ipt and crbnSteeladdict like this.
  16. Agent_H

Agent_H

Aug 21, 2013
    ipt and crbnSteeladdict like this.
  17. Kevin Houtzager

Kevin Houtzager

Jun 25, 2017
    X

ipt, crbnSteeladdict and Agent_H like this.
  18. Agent_H

Agent_H

Aug 21, 2013
    The Strohmesser

[​IMG]
    The Sense
    [​IMG]

Agreed. Kevin, you say "Strohmesser", I say "Strohmesser" lol.

ipt, crbnSteeladdict and Square_peg like this.
  19. ipt

ipt

May 14, 2013
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It is really hard to find this axe even here.
    There is some kind of a legend that during the end of 1890's The Ottoman Empire made an order to an Austrian manufacturer special batch of this axes...
    For me it is something like the grail to find it...
    I have collection of 500+ axes...
    Most of them beards. Bulgarian, German, Austrian... But only 3 with this mark.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
    Square_peg and Agent_H like this.
  20. Kevin Houtzager

Kevin Houtzager

Jun 25, 2017
    X

Agent_H and Square_peg like this.