Walk-in cooler

Discussion in 'Hunting & Fishing' started by tongueriver, Apr 11, 2020.

1. tongueriver

tongueriver Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2007
    My friend Kermit and I built several of these for ourselves and others. Most of the coal-bed-methane wells in northern Wyoming have been de-commissioned; a lot of them were covered with these heavily insulated fiberglass huts, in many sizes, from 5'x5' up to horse-barn size. One or more fellows bought hundreds of these and sold them off a lot in the country. We bought several in this size, about a 6 foot cube. They have an eye-bolt in the top so that they can be moved around quickly with a little flat-bed work truck with a boom. We would nail together a little sub-floor with 2x4s and a piece of chip board and set the hut on top and screw it together. We bought window air-conditioners off the used ads and garage sales, then ordered after-market controllers. Plug it into 110 and let er rip. In about 10 minutes it will take the interior to 45° more or less and hold it there in 100° weather. I can lay three deer or pronghorn onto plastic milk crates in there with a piece of plastic sheeting on the floor, or one quartered elk. They will stay good for days. This one is mine, in the back of the house; I have less than $250 into it. If necessary it can be loaded onto a snowmobile or four-wheeler trailer with a generator and taken into the field. IMG_2336 (Medium).JPG

2. Old Hunter

Old Hunter Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2012
    Cal, looks like just the thing for aging venison. Nice job of field engineering too! OH

3. kvaughn

kvaughn Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Great idea. Oilfield scrap repurposing. Love it. You see a lot of that kind of thing growing up in Tx. --KV

4. flicker 6

flicker 6

Dec 22, 2013
    I’m late to this thread.

I would recommend 40 degrees F or lower for a cooler. Going warmer I do see mold and less ‘life’ of stored product. If you want look at u of WI HACCP Therm 2.0 and do some growth comparisons.

Also, the wall mount a/c units do promote blowing all kinds of microbes into meat. Look at their filter system, where it sucks air from and then where it blows it to. Compare to a commercial refer unit in a meat plant. Also look at unit cleaning.

just my $0.02.

5. tongueriver

tongueriver Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2007
    What you say is true, but in the real world where I live, what I did is so much better than not having it, there is no comparison. Also, almost all microbial infection of game meat is water-borne, not air-borne. I have been harvesting game animals since 1959- many dozens of them- and only had one taint. That was in very hot weather and I was forced to let it lie on the ground overnight. I leave a game carcass in my cooler for one day or less, to let it cool to ambient temperature and then I cut it, grind it, freeze it. I do not hang game to tenderize it or in other words, to control-rot it. I don't find it necessary, desirable or easily controlled. My system works very well and most people around here would love to have it. The ideal system which you mention would cost a great deal of money. I paid less than $250, as I recall. I am quite familiar with the game-processing facilities typically found in the Rocky Mountain West and I would never take any of my game to one. Even the best of processors see people bring game into their buildings or at least to the front door, which is just plain dirty and they try hard to keep things clean but they can only succeed up to a point. No thanks.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    Blackcloud likes this.
  6. fargo203

fargo203 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 11, 2013
    Coolbot will allow your existing a/c to run even cooler

Hard Knocks likes this.
  7. Mannlicher

Mannlicher

Nov 19, 2008
    I could use one those here in North Florida. During bow season, it’s often in the mid nineties, and cooling a deer carcass is a priority.