1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Walosi needs some prayer help

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by ACStudios, Sep 14, 2004.

1. ACStudios

ACStudios Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Hi everyone,

I just got off the phone with my brother. Walosi was put into the hospital this afternoon with what is most probably an advanced relapse of Gilian-Barre. For those who don't know, he fought off a case of it back in the eighties, but it left him disabled from the fight.

This time it is worse and he is pretty much paralized. The prognosis isn't too good, but he has a good doc. He hasn't ruled anything out... it could be a number of things, but it is looking like a real bad relapse of GB.

The cantina has shown time and again that prayer works. Please send up smoke/prayer for Wal. He needs it.

I'll try and keep you posted, but I'm probably going to be traveling East here shortly.

Thanks,

Alan

2. Aardvark

Aardvark

Nov 26, 2002
    Not good, AC. Walosi has always been one I've looked up to. There are a lot of people who talk. He does. My best to him.

3. ddean

ddean

Mar 26, 2002
    Prayers.

~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    <>call me
    'Dean' :)-FYI-FWIW-IIRC-JMO-M2C-YMMV-TIA-YW-GL-HH-HBD-IBSCUTWS-TWotBGUaDUaDUaD
    <> Tips <> Baha'i Prayers Links--A--T--H--D

4. not2sharp

not2sharp Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 1999
    :(

n2s

5. BruiseLeee

BruiseLeee

Sep 7, 2001
    :( .

6. shappa

shappa

Oct 15, 1998
    Heartfelt good thoughts sent.

Could you give us a quick thumbnail of what gilian-barre is. The name sounds real familiar.

7. Yvsa

Yvsa

May 18, 1999
    Damn!:( Smoke will be sent and continued.

8. Drdan

Drdan

Dec 24, 2003

9. munk

munk

Mar 22, 2002
    Walosi!

Prayers sent this night.

munk

10. Josh Feltman

Josh Feltman

Feb 12, 2001
    Smoke :(

--Josh

11. ferguson

ferguson

Feb 21, 2001
    Walosi is one of the Good Guys. This just breaks my heart.

Steve

12. Cuttin' Craig

Cuttin' Craig

Jun 9, 2001
    Prayers sent from one of his junior woodchucks.

-Craig

13. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    Prayers going up for the uberwoodchucker. Best of luck to him

Jake

14. Daniel Koster

Daniel Koster www.kosterknives.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 18, 2001
    Dangit......heal-up lil' frog....:(

15. Semper Fi

Semper Fi

Feb 23, 2002
    Very sorry to hear this news. Lets pray for the best.

16. cliff355

cliff355

Apr 19, 2003
    Prayers sent. I owe him big-time for all that advice on wood finishing.

17. Howard Wallace

Howard Wallace . Moderator

Feb 23, 1999
    Walosi,

Good fortune in accomplishing what you need to do.

18. John Powell

John Powell

Mar 9, 1999
    Energy and prayers coming from here.

19. mauirob3

mauirob3

Aug 7, 2004
    I'm really sorry to hear that :( Prayers sent for Wal and his whole family.

20. ferguson

ferguson

Feb 21, 2001
    This stuff really sucks.

What is Guillain-Barré Syndrome (GBS)?

Guillain-Barré (Ghee-yan Bah-ray) Syndrome, also called acute inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy and Landry's ascending paralysis, is an inflammatory disorder of the peripheral nerves - those outside the brain and spinal cord. It is characterized by the rapid onset of weakness and, often, paralysis of the legs, arms, breathing muscles and face. GBS is the most common cause of rapidly acquired paralysis in the United States today, affecting one to two people in every 100,000.

The disorder came to public attention briefly when it struck a number of people who received the 1976 Swine Flu vaccine. It continues to claim thousands of new victims each year, striking any person, at any age, regardless of gender or ethnic background.

It typically begins with weakness and/or abnormal sensations of the legs and arms. It can also affect muscles of the chest, face and eyes. Although many cases are mild, some patients are virtually paralyzed. Breathing muscles may be so weakened that a machine is required to keep the patient alive. Many patients require an intensive care unit during the early course of their illness, especially if support of breathing with a machine is required. Although most people recover, the length of the illness is unpredictable and often months of hospital care are required. The majority of patients eventually return to a normal or near normal lifestyle, but many endure a protracted recovery and some remain wheelchair-bound indefinetly.

The cause of GBS is not known and there is no effective treatment.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How is GBS Diagnosed?

Quite often, the patient's symptoms and physical exam are sufficient to indicate the diagnosis. The rapid onset of (ascending) weakness, frequently accompanied by abnormal sensations that affect both sides of the body similarly, is a common presenting picture. Loss of reflexes, such as the knee jerk, are usually found. To confirm the diagnosis, a lumbar puncture to find elevated fluid protein and electrical test of nerve and muscle function may be performed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How is GBS Treated?

Because progression of the disease in its early stages is unpredictable, most newly diagnosed patients are hospitalized and usually placed in an intensive care unit to monitor breathing and other body functions.

Care involves use of general supportive measures for the paralyzed patient, and also methods specifically designed to speed recovery, especially for those patients with major problems, such as the inability to walk. Plasma exchange (a blood "cleansing" procedure) and high dose intravenous immune globulins are often helpful to shorten the course of GBS.

Most patients, after their early hospital stay and when medically stable, are candidates for a rehabilitation program to help learn optimal use of muscles as nerve supply returns.

What Causes GBS?

The cause is not known. Perhaps 50% of cases occur shortly after a microbial (viral or bacterial) infection such as a sore throat or diarrhea. Some theories suggest an autoimmune mechanism, in which the patient's defense system of antibodies and white blood cells are triggered into damaging the nerve covering or insulation, leading to weakness and abnormal sensation.