1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Wanting a watch

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Gear' started by kfgk14, Jan 14, 2012.

1. kfgk14

kfgk14

Jun 18, 2010
    So, I've lusted after some sleek piece of timekeeping for a while. I found Casio just yesterday, the G-Shock Riseman had me at "altimeter, barometer, compass". I'm not in a formal business setting, pretty casual where I work, the boss is a gear-head (he lusts after my ESEE-6, even though his collection is expansive, and we go shooting regularly) and would probably be impressed.

Am I making the right choice with a G-Shock? I spend time on the trails, so the Altimeter/Barometer/Compass is a good feature.

Thanks.

2. kidcoyote

kidcoyote

Jun 7, 2010
    buy it, i'd like one.

3. jackthedog

jackthedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 21, 2009
    While I don't have that G-Shock, I do have and really like mine. I would definitely say get it if you like it.

4. Joshua J.

Joshua J.

Feb 27, 2005
    The G-Shock is good enough to be the industry standard digital watch at the moment, it would probably work more than well enough for you.
    I don't have one because I need my watch band bolted in place (spring bars break much too easily). The best watch company I have found so far is Reactor, but they only have one digital model and prices are a little high unless you find them on clearance or used.

5. Harayasu

Harayasu

Jun 18, 2009
    G-Shocks are good watches and come in a wide variety. For daily use and on the trails, I think the Riseman is a nice choice. I don't own a Riseman, but own and owned some other G-Shocks and they haven't failed on me.

6. thatotherguy

thatotherguy

Oct 9, 2011
    I'd say get one, like it, and start a collection!
    Great watches.

7. Daniel L

Daniel L

Nov 2, 1998
    I bought a G-Shock Tough Solar Mudman recently... the idea of not having to change batteries or having to open the case up was the main attraction.
    Either way, the G-Shocks are good watches for sure... light but tough. And you won't cry it you beat on it!!

8. TrickyVic

TrickyVic

Nov 22, 2007
    You should definitely get the Riseman. I wear a G9300 Mudman everyday and I'm also considering picking up a Riseman. The Riseman doesn't have a compass though. It measures altitude, barometric pressure, and temp.

9. kfgk14

kfgk14

Jun 18, 2010
    Oh, was under the impression it had a compass. Darn. Oh well, I EDC other compasses and compass-incorporating devices, so that's alright.

10. pilgrimuk

pilgrimuk

Apr 18, 2006
    Might be worth taking a look at the Casio PRO-TREK Solar Digital Watch PRW-5100.

Has compass, barometer, altitude reader, stopwatch, light and is analogue. I recently got one and this it's very good; really tough and solidly made.

hth, John

11. kilua

kilua

May 25, 2010
    Nice watch. Have you considered the Suunto Core or another Sunnto variant?

12. kidcoyote

kidcoyote

Jun 7, 2010
    How about a dakota. They have all that stuff some even come with a compass.

13. 2glock40s

2glock40s

Sep 28, 2010
    I've owned two G-shocks and really liked them both. They are lightweight and will take a beating. That said I've never owned one with the compass, barometer, altimeter feature. My brother has one of the Pathfinder models with all those features and he seems to like it. I was a little put off when I found out that for the thermometer to be accurate you had to take off the watch and let it sit for like 30 minutes. A little zipper pull type thermometer would be handier for me. The compass on his watch has a pretty big margin for error which for me is also a deal breaker. The altimeter uses pressure to determine elevation which I suppose is fine but I think you have to calibrate it to the area where you are hiking. Again, I've never owned one of the watches with all of those features so I can't offer first hand knowledge. I'm only going by what I've read and been told by someone who owns a watch with those features. YMMV. Good hunting!

14. Harayasu

Harayasu

Jun 18, 2009
    I own a Casio SGW-100B too. It's a nice watch with 200m water resistance, so it's really tough. Maybe it isn't as tough as a G-Shock, but tough enough for most (outdoor) activities.

The thermometer must be put off the wrist, simply because the human body influences the measured temperature. But it's really accurate after about 15 to 20 minutes off the wrist.

The same goes for the compass. I wouldn't use it for real navigation, prefer my base plate compasses and a map for that, but it's a good backup instrument and I've compared the accuracy a couple of thime with my 'normal' compasses and the accuracy is about 5 degrees. For me that's good enough to get an indication of directions.

There are several of such Casio watches in the SGW-series and they're a lot less expensive than the real Pathfinders. For the outdoors I prefer my SGW-100B over my G-Shocks. It's been with me on a lot of travelling, hiking, mountain climbing and canoeing.