Wave my Coldsteel

Discussion in 'Cold Steel Knives' started by Harlod, Jan 8, 2018.

1. BitingSarcasm

BitingSarcasm

Feb 25, 2014
    Emerson has a legal claim on the wave, but I don't remember if it's both patented and trademarked. But I do remember reading that Emerson has asked people not to add waves on a commercial basis. Cut a wave in your own for your own personal use, and nobody can get in a twist. Make it a business transaction, and things get legally stickier. Same thing with a Spydie Hole; do what you want with your own knife, just don't be surprised to gather attention if you offer a "Make It Like Spydie" service. They could have made it look like a batwing, lightning bolt, or hired a graphic artist to come up with an aesthetically different design. Instead, it looks like a copy of Emerson's IP. CS had the good graces to "wave" their openers with a thumb plate instead of an outright copy. Who knows, maybe Snaggletooth got permission and pays royalties, they are certainly charging enough.

DocJD likes this.
  2. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    I also asked about price breaks on multiples, their reply:

"We can absolutely offer that. We are going to offer 3/$30.00 5/$45.00 10/$80.00. I really appreciate your input. The website will be updated later today. If you have any other question or suggestions don't hesitate to email. We are just starting out and the feedback will really help us to serve our customers better."

~Chip

3. panoz77

panoz77

Feb 3, 2007
    This snaggletooth device does not even remotely resemble a wave.

4. American Lawlessman

American Lawlessman

Jan 9, 2018
    As everyone has already determined, that the snaggletooth is plastic. I have to say that works great and is very stiff. I don't know anything about the plastic it's made from, but I think it would be hard to break. I have used it a lot practicing and it has held up no problem.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  5. Minnesota Man

Minnesota Man

Sep 30, 2014
    Have you used them alot? How do they hold up?

6. American Lawlessman

American Lawlessman

Jan 9, 2018
    I only have one. Like I stated above, it's seems very tough. I have not had any concerns with it breaking.

Minnesota Man likes this.
  7. razorburn

razorburn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2007
    Thanks for sharing.It shouldn't be too difficult to make one out of aluminum with the minimum of tools

Minnesota Man likes this.
  8. jux t

jux t Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Hello, I've been a long time reader of BF's but this is my first time posting. I'd like to say that I stumbled upon the Snaggletooth MF on youtube, and promptly ordered one. It was an easy install and I have been practicing with it with a very high success rate of opening. It seems very sturdy to me, and is exactly what I wanted for my cold steel folders.

BTW- The replacement thumb stud it comes with offers a better purchase than the originals that came on my recon 1 and voyager. I had my doubts at first, but this is definitely a great upgrade.

oxman198 and Minnesota Man like this.
  9. Minnesota Man

Minnesota Man

Sep 30, 2014
    Thanks dude! I'm ordering one Friday!

10. Mitchell Knives

Mitchell Knives Knifemaker Moderator

May 21, 2000
    Pretty cool.

I've thought about making something similar, but for $10, it might not be worth the time.

Delrin is very tough, so it should hold up.

Lapedog likes this.
  11. Harlod

Harlod

Jan 8, 2018
    I put mine on today. Easy install and seems sturdy. Works good, I just need lots of practice.
    [​IMG]

Lapedog and oxman198 like this.
  12. oxman198

oxman198

Jun 17, 2013
    Gonna have to get one for my voyagers. Doesn’t look awful either. I wonder if Peacent has seen this. ;) joking of course

DocJD likes this.
  13. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    I haven't seen a Peacent post in months . Hope he's coming back someday .:(

oxman198 likes this.
  14. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    Mine should be on the way, I'll try it out on my Holdout and Counterpoint and post pics:).

~Chip

oxman198 and DocJD like this.
  15. oxman198

oxman198

Jun 17, 2013

Thanks for the info and good first post, actually informative. :thumbsup:

DocJD likes this.
  16. oxman198

oxman198

Jun 17, 2013
    Well I’m sold. Just ordered 3. Will post some pics when they make their way onto my voyagers.

17. Minnesota Man

Minnesota Man

Sep 30, 2014
    Did you get price break on multiples?

18. WValtakis

May 29, 2004
    They have multi-packs available on the site now :). Mine should be here today.

~Chip

19. Minnesota Man

Minnesota Man

Sep 30, 2014
    Great thank you! A new company could really benefit from becoming "a thing" on BF.

20. Insipid Moniker

Insipid Moniker Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2011
    I doubt it. He got banned.

That said, much thanks to all that pointed this gadget out. I'll be picking at least one up shortly.