[wdyst] What Did You Sharpen Today?

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by kreisler, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Ben Dover

Ben Dover Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 2, 2006
    I recently touched up my 6 inch "Chinese Pattern" cleaver. Used a 1200 grit Atoma on the EP, then stropped on horsehide treated with 3 micron CBN and finished with plain coarse denim. It isn't pretty, but DAMN it sure cuts!

Then did my three Yaxall "Ran" paring knives on Shapton Glass stones at 1000, 2000, and 8,000. Finished these on plain denim also. Shiny, but just slightly hazy. I don't spend too much time on these since my wife will dull them in a week or less, no matter what i do to them!:(

kreisler likes this.
  2. scottc3

scottc3 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 11, 2014
    Answering the age old question: does the man make the tool, or the tool make the man...?

kreisler likes this.
  3. Spideyjg

Spideyjg

Nov 7, 2017
    Wife's Wushof Santoku, went old school Norton IB8, soft and hard Arkansas.

Got powered stuff out the wazoo but every now and then go back to the basics.

kreisler likes this.
  4. scdub

scdub Basic Member Basic Member

May 29, 2004
    Cool thread - learned a lot already.
    What these were for instance. Solid stone made of synthetic ruby you say??:)
    That I’m absolutely going to do this with one of my kitchen knives that looks almost exactly like the one in your pics...
    And that someone has friends with knives in “decent condition”. I’m usually handed things that look like they’ve been in battle. My “one stone” would probably be about an 80 grit sandstone for most of the people I know. ;)

I actually broke out the Edge Pro to do a knife for a buddy. (Started a few days ago but finished today):
    9BACA545-A184-4BB5-88D3-3A67634DE159.jpeg 878E0894-B4B3-4709-9AF8-D5419DBB629D.jpeg
    Started freehand and quickly realized I was gonna have to remove a LOT of metal so decided to switch to the Edge Pro. Edge wasn’t chipped but was severely rounded (he later told me it had never been sharpened, and if you look at the finish you can see that it’s been USED!). It took awhile (maybe an hour? Two hours??) to apex even with the diamond stone. Did the serrations with Spyderco ceramics freehand.

kreisler likes this.
  5. kreisler

kreisler

May 11, 2012
    Thanks for sharing!
    There are several high quality threads on synthetic ruby, my lil portable ones are posted in one of them. I am dreaming that my favorite industrial ruby manufacturer made ruby's in 204-format for end consumers like us! I'd be willing to pay 100 bucks for a 1× "204RF". :rolleyes:

Today i did 204-freehanding on my one and only "EDC" knife (well i carry a knife only around home, also because of legal carry restrictions) the foxvoxsurucfti :D, just with 1× 204UF. i didn't raise a consistent burr and i missed a 1mm spot on the apex, i'll get it next time np. I'll do the stropping on the weekend, i prepared a fresh wood strop and want to let the polishing compound "dry", i.e. my added oil to diffuse into the wood and the compound to fully settle. If the edge doesn't turn out nicely sharp after the stropping, then i'll know what to do in my next resharpening session: sharpen at 16dps instead of 15dps ;) (it's easy to raise a consistent burr by steepening the sharpening angle)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    NORTHWEST_KNIFE_GUY and scdub like this.