Wearing out a compression lock

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by Tuco23, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Steven black

Steven black

Sep 8, 2020
    AMEN brother

2. jstn

jstn Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 27, 2012
    It is a great blade. I'd love one in Cruwear or 3V!

3. jstn

jstn Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 27, 2012
    The trick is to get multiple comp. lock knives and rotate them so you can flick away.

loon#r likes this.
  4. Steven black

Steven black

Sep 8, 2020
    I purchased my para3 about a month or so ago and it’s about 70% it’s has stay there , I called spyderco and they said it should stop about 50%., I hope since I bought 90$scales for it , hopefully I’ll get my money worths out of it.

5. Michael Janich

Michael Janich Moderator Moderator

Jan 16, 2002
    Hey, All:

When the first run of Yojimbo 2's was released in Nov 2011, I received one of the first ones. I carried it daily from that time until just a few months ago. Since I work for Spyderco and teach knife tactics through my own business, I also have the freedom to open knives throughout the day without creating any issues. Doing the math, my original Yojimbo 2 has easily been opened more than 100,000 times. Most of those openings were high-speed inertial openings. That knife is still going strong and shows no signs of deformation of the stop pin. The reason is that Spyderco uses hardened stop pins on its Compression Lock knives.

So why did I finally retire that knife? With 100,000-plus openings comes 100,000-plus draws. That many draws ultimately smoothed the G-10 texture to the point that it no longer was as grippy as I wanted it to be. Rather than trying to replace the scales, I retired the knife and replaced it with another one. Thanks to COVID and working from home, I estimate that one has over 20,000 openings so far. Again, still going strong with no noticeable signs of lock wear.

Stay safe,

Mike

6. hhmoore

hhmoore Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2014
    When you're reading old threads, please pay attention to the smilies. ;) typically indicates poking fun...that the comment shouldn't be taken seriously. Or, at least that's how I would have taken it 6 years ago ;)

woodysone, loon#r and Steven black like this.
  7. Steven black

Steven black

Sep 8, 2020
    I’m new , didn’t realize .

DaveReb and loon#r like this.
  8. Fred Sanford

Fred Sanford Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2006

Yeah buddy. Bringing back a 6 year old thread. LOL

ronnie hood and loon#r like this.
  9. Sal Glesser

Sal Glesser Moderator Moderator

Dec 27, 1998
    Hi Steven,

Welcome to our forum.

sal

10. ronnie hood

ronnie hood

Mar 12, 2018
    Jesus...he might be retired this post is so old.

11. colin.p

colin.p

Feb 4, 2017
    Good to know and thanks for that input. Nice to know that my PM2 and Para3 will now outlast me...

12. skyhorse

skyhorse Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 30, 2010
    I'd worry about a stray meteor destroying planet Earth more than your lock wearing out. ;)

13. Cursum Perficio

Cursum Perficio

Oct 27, 2012
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
    skyhorse likes this.