1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Wedge Pattern Thread

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Glenn Bailey, Nov 14, 2020.

1. Glenn Bailey

Glenn Bailey Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2017
    The wedge pattern is an absolute favorite of mine. You kinda know it when you see it and you immediately think of old Maine axes. One of the most iconic patterns! And, possibly, completely misunderstood? Or at least under-appreciated for the diversity of patterns that fall under one skinny umbrella.

Let's fix that!

First, in the spirit (and strength) of this forum, I'd love to see pictures of your wedge pattern axes. Below are some of mine (and feel free to argue that they aren't wedge pattern at all!). Once we have a good number of samples, I'd love to start defining what makes a wedge pattern a wedge pattern. I also think it will be important to discuss Maine pattern v Wedge pattern (I have lots of material from yankeejosh (who inspired me to start this thread in the first place) that I will share later).

By the way, I expect to learn tons about this topic, so I'll start with my naive understanding that a Wedge pattern holds two characteristics- the view from the top of the eye, the geometry is like a perfect acute triangle (no contours) and the profile is more rectangular than other patters.

I have more to add, but I'm itching to get this discussion started!

35 Rixford marked 3 1/4 pounds

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1900-1910 Rixford marked 3 1/2 pounds

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1951 Rixford marked 3 pounds

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. crbnSteeladdict

crbnSteeladdict

Jul 31, 2017
    After whole Allagash thread (https://bladeforums.com/threads/allagash-cruiser-anyone-use-have-one.1646845/ )I really wanted to check out wedge pattern.
    Of course, on my first try I misidentified Victory Emerson&Steven Axe as a wedge pattern(those pesky fleabay pics!!).
    I mean, I cannot complain; It is pretty rare axe head, but I have no idea what to call it. Maybe Elongated Wedge Pattern?
    The middle one is obviously pure Wedge pattern(no idea who made it).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
  3. Glenn Bailey

Glenn Bailey Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2017
    crbn, thanks for the Allagash cruiser thread!! It looks like this has been done with some thoroughness. I had to ask myself, "How did I miss that thread?" and the answer(s) are the thread title coupled with a new baby in the house at that time. Thanks again for sharing the thread!

BTW, that E&S is beautiful even as thin wedge (quarter wedge?)

crbnSteeladdict likes this.