West Georgia need some help!

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by DDC_Cowboy, Apr 28, 2019.

1. DDC_Cowboy

DDC_Cowboy

Apr 28, 2019
    Hello all,
    Brand new member but have previously read tons on here. Apologies if this is not in the correct location. I read the rules and this seemed like a good spot.

I started taking a swing a making knives about a year ago on a 1x30. It appeared I really wanted to stick with it so this year got a 2x72 in an attempt to step up my game.

It seems like I’m in a rut where I spend countless hours reading, watching YouTube videos, and attempting to learn through trial and error. Keeping my bevels clean and even is still whooping me.

From reading on here, I ordered a bubble jig (which I love) but I’m still having trouble connecting the dots and having that “aha” moment.

Are there any members in the west georgia area (Douglasville) that would be willing to come to my shop and observe me and give some pointers?

I think I’m in the position to where just a few hours with a veteran would exponentially increase my learning curve.

I’d be more than happy to compensate for fuel/time through any means agreeable. (Cash, beer, horsetrading, etc)

My shop is in Douglas County, Georgia. Thanks!

2. DAMNENG

DAMNENG

Dec 17, 2005
    I'm in Virginia so I can't give you any direct help, but If you want maximum exposure to Knife makers, the Bladeshow is in Atlanta June 7,8 & 9. There will most likely be several companies demonstrating their grinders. You can ask knife makers questions until you go hoarse.
    Jim A

3. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
  4. joe sangster

joe sangster

Jul 5, 2003
    You might try contacting the Ga. Knifemakers Guild

5. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    What a great idea :)

Bow Commander likes this.
  6. jorasco312

jorasco312

Jun 9, 2006
    The link Stacy posted is a membership listing of the Guild but does not provide contact info. However, there is a Facebook site,Georgia Custom Knifemakers Guild, with a lot of activity. That would be your best bet.
    I think there about 125 members in the Guild with members all over the state. It is an educational Guild vs. a professional Guild. Members range from full time professionals to hobbyists. The Guild meets 4 times a year around the state. Coincidentally, I believe this Saturday they meet in Augusta.

I just reread your opening post... you are a stock removal guy vs a forger. My very strong recommendation is to get one-on-one training from a knowledgeable maker at his shop. be prepared to pay the going rate. A day of this type of training will advance your knowledge a year or two over your current method. It would be money well spent.

Hey Joe Sansgster! If you make it to the meeting in Augusta.... say Hi to everyone foe me.

Randy Scott

7. godogs57

godogs57

Apr 16, 2004
    I live down in Leesburg if I can help....

8. sharpeknives

sharpeknives

Jan 13, 2006
    The Ga. Guild is a great place to start. If you don't mind travel check out the classes at Montgomery County Community Collage in Troy NC. The classes are very good and reasonably priced....