Whacha Been Up To......

Discussion in 'Sheaths & Such' started by Horsewright, Sep 8, 2018.

1. John Cahoon

John Cahoon JWC Custom Knives Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 13, 2017
    Well thanks Dave, I had to look up Punal and found this very interesting, detailed link chock full of pictures about various historic knives carried by Gauchos.
    http://www.vikingsword.com/ethsword/facon/criollo.html

Lorien likes this.
  2. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    I didn't have time this morning but if I do tomorrow I'll type out a story for ya from a friend that was there for a while.

3. duramax

duramax KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 29, 2012
    Foldover sheath

45FFF09A-3D8C-4C8F-B9E8-EA549B15B6DE.jpeg 5B67080B-6B20-459F-89D7-CE8A3EFE47D7.jpeg 6D5A6209-6809-4A75-8697-BB5A355B0540.jpeg

4. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011

I like that one. Very clean work.

I had a friend that was bird hunting in Argentina one time. They were coming back from the field in a truck. There was a gaucho walking down the road towards them carrying his saddle over his right shoulder. One of the bird dogs was running loose in front of the truck and suddenly it charged towards the gaucho. He dropped his saddle reached behind his back and had his punal out in fraction of a second, before the saddle had hit the ground. Fortunately the guide from the estancia was able to get control of the dog and all was well. My friend said the gaucho drawing his punal was the fastest thing he'd ever seen and this was a guy that use to spar with Benny the Jet!

5. duramax

duramax KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 29, 2012
    Horsewright likes this.
  6. Horsewright

Oct 4, 2011
    Our daughter's best friend got married so we built up some wedding presents:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Our daughter Alyssa was the Maid of Honor and her boyfriend Dave was one of the groomsmen. Three Horsewright belts in this pic of us The groom was wearing one too.

[​IMG]

Makael, Ebbtide, Macan and 3 others like this.
  7. John Cahoon

John Cahoon JWC Custom Knives Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 13, 2017
    Well dang it Dave, that's twice in a row I've had to bail out on BF to look something up you posted. First "Punal" and now Benny the Jet. Dang I'm ignorant!!;)

Horsewright likes this.
  8. Horsewright

Oct 4, 2011
    Sorry buddy!

9. brewbear

brewbear

Nov 14, 2019
  10. Horsewright

Oct 4, 2011
  11. brewbear

brewbear

Nov 14, 2019
    Have you ever had two different stamps and couldn't wait to use them? I just was in a hurry to use them.
    None of them are lined, I didn't progress that far in my learning but now that you mention it, what material should I use for lining?
    As always, beautiful work and many thanks for the help.
    Ted

12. Horsewright

Oct 4, 2011
    No can't say that I have. Ya know whats funny we've probably got 200 stamps total and I bet ya we use the same 20 all the time! Course I do have lots of scrap to practice on. I saw the top stitching line and thats what got me asking about the lining. I don't do a lot of lining but when I do tis usually water buffalo.

[​IMG]

Lot of folks will use deer or pig. They make a specific pig just for lining.

This last batch had lots of carved sheaths in it. Seven oak carved and one flower carved that Nichole, my wife did.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nichole made up some of her water buffalo magnet wallets:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Holster and belt for another order. Nichole did the belt and I did the holster:

[​IMG]

A water buffalo overlay holster:

[​IMG]

And it starts all over. Next batch of knives:

Some of the blades back from heat treat.

[​IMG]

Handle materials.

[​IMG]

And a box of elk scales that are cut but need to be sanded and dyed.

[​IMG]

13. Horsewright

Oct 4, 2011
    This order (minus the Ruger) is heading north of the border:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Macan, WEB2 and brewbear like this.
  14. brewbear

brewbear

Nov 14, 2019
    Beautiful work, as always.
    Is that a Coyote or a Tapadero? I'm trying to decide and moving away from folders, a small-ish fixed blade would fit the bill.

15. Horsewright

Oct 4, 2011
    That’s a Tapadero. Been a small fixed blade guy myself for decades.

brewbear likes this.
  16. brewbear

brewbear

Nov 14, 2019
    That's a mighty fine looking blade. I see you don't have any available in your store and that's just fine for now (I just splurged on a Barry Wood MkI) but I'll be looking next month. I just have to decide between the Tapadero and the El Toro....

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
  17. Horsewright

Oct 4, 2011
    A Tap would be a special order, there is that El Toro there.

brewbear likes this.
  18. brewbear

brewbear

Nov 14, 2019
    I saw that one but my eye keeps turning to that elk horn Tapadero and the elk horn El Toro. It'll be my Christmas present to myself.

19. Horsewright

Oct 4, 2011
    Give me a call we'll get er figured out.

duramax likes this.
  20. imill3567

imill3567 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 5, 2014
    DFCF7787-2F78-401C-86FC-3E0616FA620A.jpeg I’ve only made two leather sheaths so far but it only took one for me to decide to make a round knife for cutting leather. As it’s for myself I didn’t worry much about fit and finish and used some plain wood I’d never put on a knife for sale. Made from an old handsaw (re-heat treated) it’s very very thin, starting stock was 0.035 ground to basically zero it cuts leather quite well and was difficult to grind. One more tool to try to speed up my leather process.