Whales Tooth

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by sharpeknives, Feb 20, 2018.

1. sharpeknives

sharpeknives

Jan 13, 2006
    I have a Sperm whale tooth I have had since the early 70's.
    Anyone know what its worth?
    It was found on the beach on Kodiak Island .
    Just not sure what I want to do with it. Knife handle ,cane handle, or sell or trade it.
    If anyone can give me a value I'd appreciate it.

2. SpyderPhreak

SpyderPhreak Rocketman for hire Platinum Member

Apr 13, 2004
    Only paid members can ask about values. If you're paid, it's not showing as such.

3. sharpeknives

sharpeknives

Jan 13, 2006
    Good Point, didn't know that. I'll go elsewhere... Not paying to get a question answered.

4. SpyderPhreak

SpyderPhreak Rocketman for hire Platinum Member

Apr 13, 2004
    A paid membership seems to be the least you could do here, in return for advertising your business... ;)

willythekid likes this.
  5. sharpeknives

sharpeknives

Jan 13, 2006
    If I could figure out how to erase it I would.

6. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    No worries. All taken care of.
    You are still welcome to participate as a registered member.

7. mete

mete

Jun 10, 2003
    I had a similar sperm whale tooth that my father had gotten. I wanted a little project so I did some carving /scrimshaw in Eskimo style and keep it as a memory !

sharpeknives likes this.
  8. seabil

seabil

Apr 8, 2015
    Got one when I was a kid, in the 60s. All whale parts are really legally restricted now. More so than ivory. I would be very carefully about selling unless you have good paperwork on it.

9. sharpeknives

sharpeknives

Jan 13, 2006
    I read the laws. They vary by state. In NC I can sell or trade it just not across state lines.

10. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    I have a commision right now where I split the tooth down the middle, flattened on the cut side into scales,and will build the knife to fit the tooth shape. This will give a full tang construction that looks like the original tooth. I will scrimshaw a full length image of a sperm whale on it.

11. skillgannon

skillgannon

Apr 27, 2009
    I hope we get a peak at it.

12. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Had a gal bring me a sharks tooth she'd had since she was a teenager. Wanted me to incorporate into a knife handle. I opened the little display case she had it in and took it out. "You know this is plastic right?", I said, and showed her the mold line and the sprue cut off on the top side. End of that project.

kuraki and Hengelo_77 like this.
  13. Geoff Flato

Geoff Flato

May 23, 2017
    I've seen a few old sperm whale teeth (real ones) at gun shows for $50-75
    Rather wish I had bought them looking back.

14. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    The legality very much depends on where you live. In some states there are no laws on old whales teeth at all. Most all states allow ownership, but not necessarily sale. A knife made with a whales tooth would be something that you should check on your state laws before putting out at a show. Private sales between people who know each other is a moot point. If the tooth is owned by the person commissioning the knife, it is fine to make the knife.

15. sharpeknives

sharpeknives

Jan 13, 2006
    I think I'm going to make a cane handle out of it. Since my back episode I often need a cane.
    Maybe a sword cane...? Would be a great conversation piece.
    Stacy would love to see pics of the finished knife.

Hengelo_77 likes this.
  16. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Aug 20, 2004
    I plan on doing photos as I go.