What’s your preferred folder size

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by JDRanger, Feb 14, 2020.

1. JDRanger

JDRanger Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 14, 2017
    Wondering what size of FOLDER is most popular. I’ve never seen an official size metric so I used some logical (but maybe not very defendable) measurement ranges and associated size categories to them.

What size do you prefer?

Size:

2.50” - 3.25” = Small
    3.30” - 4.00” = Medium
    4.00” + = Large

rexromic and DangerZone98 like this.
  2. JDRanger

JDRanger Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 14, 2017
    I definitely prefer Medium. 3.00” - 3.50”.

3. Joefairbanks

Joefairbanks Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jun 14, 2016
    i prefer the medium size, 95% of the time.

Alberta Ed and JDRanger like this.
  4. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    My favorites are definitely smalls, I love a number of mediums but most of my favorite folders tend to be smalls.

JDRanger likes this.
  5. jlauffer

jlauffer Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 11, 2016
    Guess I'm in the small camp. Live in MA but spend a lot of time in RI, which has a 3" limit.

JDRanger likes this.
  6. Lesknife

Lesknife Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 31, 2018
    A 3 1/4” is the smallest I can use and up to a 3 7/8” for deep pocket carry. Anything larger than that it’s clipped to my pocket. I also carry a large vantage that’s 4 3/8” clipped to my pocket and sometimes a Buck 110 slim pro with a pocket clip at 4 7/8”. So I have a big spread in size usage. Lol. I will admit that while at home taking it easy I mostly have a 303 cadet at 3.25” in my pocket.

7. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    I prefer "Smalls" relative to your definition. I consider them to be medium sized knives however. Small is when you get down below 2.5" blade length with moderns. I tried larger moderns but I just didn't feel comfortable using them around other people. 95% of what I cut with a pocket knife now is with a Vic Small Tinker (3.3" closed length). It fits in my watch pocket in my jeans. So, it doesn't get all banged up with all the other pocket debris and still cuts nicely in my world.

guy g likes this.
  8. Knives&Lint

Knives&Lint

May 10, 2013
    I'd say the sweet spot for me is on the larger side of medium at 3.5-4". That being said I do like large folders as well when they're done right, and I daily carry a SE Dragonfly so I appreciate small folders too...Once again, I find the answer to which knife I prefer being, well... all the knives :rolleyes:

Joefairbanks and JDRanger like this.
  9. number9

number9 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 5, 2017
    3"-3.25" (blade) with a clip. A little smaller if it's flopping around in the pocket.

10. hhmoore

hhmoore Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2014
    It depends on what you're measuring. With "modern folders", the common assumption would be blade length. With traditionals, it seems to be closed/handle length.
    There's a weird 0.05" gap between the top of small & bottom of medium... but usually people just reference their favorite range without classifying.
    I've become tolerant of 3.25" bladed modern folders, though; so I'm a solid medium in your poll. I've got a couple at 3", or just under; and, while I might like the knives, I consider most of them at least somewhat awkward to handle/use due to their size.

11. bdmicarta

bdmicarta

Feb 16, 2012
    I prefer medium+, about 3.6" to 3.75" blades. Of the knives I carry regularly- PM2 is the smallest and Military is the largest.

Razor likes this.
  12. rick melear

rick melear Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 1998
    Medium, like Spyderco PM2

13. Peter Hartwig

Peter Hartwig Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2008
    I buy a lot of 3" because it seems like many offer that size, but would prefer around 3.25"

14. gazz98

gazz98 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2008
    I prefer medium size.

75% of my folders fall into the medium range.

20% - small

5% - large

15. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Large.

16. Forester_01

Forester_01 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2018
    3.4-3.7 inch blade

17. Sharp & Fiery

Sharp & Fiery Always Embellish Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 14, 2012
    One small and one medium for me.

18. Black Oak Bladeworks

Black Oak Bladeworks KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 5, 2019
    I like large. 4 inch is about right for me.

kaos 13 likes this.
  19. sabre cat

sabre cat Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Based upon your standard I prefer small and medium.

Almost everything I have in folders are 3 inch to three and a half inches. Many are 3.25 inches.

I have a few that are shorter but 3 to 3.5 inches seem to be my preference.

I carried a 2.5 inch Vic Cadet for a month. I never want anything smaller than that. I don’t see how anyone can use super small stuff.
    That’s anything under 2 1/2 inches in my book.

20. Weiss

Weiss

Jan 3, 2007
    Four inch blade.