What’s your preferred folder size

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by JDRanger, Feb 14, 2020.

1. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    :) Generally "large", by OP's definitions . Lots of XL 5.5" and some ~4" .

But I've been carrying a 3.5" Cold Steel AD-10 recently . With the wide blade , generous handle and substantial heft ...it FEELS large enough . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

2. Earl1

Earl1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 11, 2016
    For me it would have to be between 3 and 3 1/2. I've been carrying a manix 2 which is perfect for work,I work in a parts store. Use a knife edoe alot of different things. When I am off I can usually get by with smaller,like a native 5 or rat 2. I carry traditional also most days and 95 percent of what I do can be done with those. Some things need a stouter longer blade though. This is a very interesting question. Be neat to see what all the responses are

3. afishhunter

afishhunter Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 21, 2014
    3.25/84 mm to 3.625/3 5/8 inch/93 mm closed is the smallest I normally carry use.
    I prefer a 4 inch/101 mm to 4.5 inch/114 mm closed though, at least for pocket carry.
    I do have a "few" Buck 110's at 5 inches/127 mm and a slightly larger 2 blade Folding Hunter at 5.5 inches/140 mm. I keep one of those on my belt every day.
    I use whatever knives I have in my pocket, and the one on my belt, depending on which has the most suitable blade for the task at hand.

4. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 14, 2015
    3.5” or 3.3”, thats my sweet spot, and under 4.5oz

5. Razor

Razor Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 8, 1999
    3 to 3 1/2". I know since getting older I like carrying my ZT 450 a lot.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  6. insta9ves

insta9ves

Apr 3, 2007
    Medium
    8” overall is my sweet spot. 3.5” blade

7. Larry Turko

Larry Turko

Oct 4, 2007
    XL [5.5" or 6" blade] all the way baby!!!

DocJD likes this.
  8. marchone

marchone Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2013
    This should have been a poll. :thumbsup:

I chose medium. It's taken me a while to learn I prefer folders in blade lengths of 85mm to 90mm. So, 3.3" to 3.5". 95mm or 3.7" is starting to push it. My Shiro F3 at 95mm is too large to pocket and more knife than I generally need.

Both my Shiro HatiOn Lite and Anso Neo fit the bill. When I need anything larger I'll grab a fixed blade.

grybsh7 likes this.
  9. TheTourist

TheTourist Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 23, 2019
    I might have to modify my thinking, and posting. If you would have asked me this same question a month or two ago, I would have surmised my preferred size was 3.75 inched of blade edge. I would have to retract that concept.

Lately I have been buying folders in the 3.0 inch range. For one, many models are made in that size--and simply buying them and using them opened my eyes. And as you know, my left-hand pocket knife is that red handled, 2.0 inch Cold Steel folder with a Wharncliffe edge.

Simply, 'small' has wound up serving me better than some of the larger folders! A small folder can be carried in any pocket, the edge gets just as sharp, and slicing your dinner doesn't evoke screams from the local Mothers Against Sicilian Cutlery Assemblage, Inc.

Yes, I carry a Bush Ranger Lite. However, that knife is carried in some truly ventilated jeans which are usually on their way to some bizarre (and filthy) projects my so-called friends have dreamed up. You cannot break the Bush Ranger, and that's a good feature on a job site.

Now, that little Cold Steel Tuff-Lite, that's a tool for a public library...

10. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Guys I work with have looked funny at my Tuff Lite. I was never sure what funny meant in this case other than maybe it was the blade shape.

11. TheTourist

Jun 23, 2019
    I don't get it either. I will tell you this, "modern people" will bristle if you don't like their wife's favorite baseball team. I understand now why some recluses become life-long hermits.

They used to warn people not to talk politics or The Chicago Cubs--either topic will start a fight. Now you can be chastised for not liking Trump's suit choice at the last public speech. If you own and carry a knife, enjoy hunting, do a little target practice and soup up your car's engine you should have enough backbone to endure an "opposing viewpoint."

12. Pilot1

Pilot1 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 24, 2005
    Generally, my folders are 3.25 - 3.75 inches. Lately, I've been leaning towards smaller, and lighter.

13. ferider

ferider Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 20, 2018
    I edc anything from ~3.5 to 4.5” blade lenght, depending on the mood.

My most used folder at home and in workshop is 3”, a PM2, go figure.

Bladelength is not everything: my Fulltrack and Chinook 1 sure feel larger than my Endura, but they are shorter, quite a bit even if you consider usable blade length.

14. TheTourist

Jun 23, 2019
    I've noticed the same thing--with a slight distinction.

Overall, I think this "new age" of folders is trying to look less intimidating without losing integral strength. I just bought a Cold Steel knife in a 2.0 length. One night I looked at the spine and saw that it was thicker than most of my bigger folders.

I think 'modern collectors' want the strength of indestructible cutting tools in the guise of "people friend" devices. They used to make automobiles that reeked of strength and speed. Now they make folders geared for our grandmothers. I'm glad I retired...

15. Eli Chaps

Eli Chaps Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Apr 20, 2018
    On you scale, I primarily prefer small.

16. Mrgauth

Mrgauth Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2016
    Medium here with 3.25 being the Goldilocks

17. lhzeng

lhzeng

Dec 4, 2017
    Small or medium

18. Catdaddy2

Catdaddy2 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 12, 2019
    Medium. Closer to 3.5 than 3.0.

19. l1ranger

l1ranger Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 27, 2017
    my main EDC is a Domino at 3.13"
    prior to that was a buck mayo cutback at 3.25"

recently got a mini begleiter at 2.875" and I'm liking it as a second carry

JDRanger likes this.
  20. TheEdge01

TheEdge01

Apr 3, 2015
    I like my blades to be at least 3 inches, give or take a little.