What’s your preferred folder size

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by JDRanger, Feb 14, 2020.

1. H0kieengineer

H0kieengineer Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 24, 2017
    3.5-4.5 is my happy range, leaning towards the higher end. My only folder that breaks this is my SpydieChef

2. Alsharif

Alsharif Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 8, 2018
    3.3" to 4". I do enjoy larger folders, but haven't seen larger folders on-par with Cold Steel, so they've been my only >4" folders. Currently I have the Large Espada (5.5") and the 6" Ti-Lite

johnnywizzo likes this.
  3. Murphjd25

Murphjd25 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2016
    3.6” ;)

4. upnorth

upnorth

Nov 25, 2006
    Depends on my environment/location. I have an olive Vic standard issue soldier on my key chain. I've never had anyone soil themselves at work, when I take it out to tighten a Philips head screw on a door lock, etc.

5. mndart

mndart Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 16, 2004
    medium

6. wackafew

wackafew Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 23, 2008
    State law says I can only like 3.5 inch and under!:(

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    sabre cat likes this.
  7. sabre cat

sabre cat Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Nicely put.

8. JDRanger

JDRanger Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 14, 2017
    Good inputs. Thanks. I kind of thought there would be a higher ratio of Large size preference.

9. MarkN86

MarkN86

Sep 3, 2012
    You could probably put me in the small category.

To me it's less about blade and more about handle size/ergos, I have giant hands and I need to be able to get a solid grip and control that blade, but I prefer a slightly shorter blade for better point control. As long as the handle fits my hand I look for a blade about 2.5" to 3.5", with 3" being ideal for my uses. Outside of that range I start to move over to an xacto knife or a fixed blade.

I break those rules if the design is right, it just depends on what I'm doing.

JDRanger and sabre cat like this.
  10. BCG

BCG

May 23, 2018
    I carry two knives one is a 2-inch that I use primarily as a money clip, the other is my daily carry in the 3-inch range .

11. Sertorivs

Sertorivs

Jul 4, 2020
    Over 4 inches. Actually my two personal favourites (Protech Brend 1 and Benchmade Bedlam) all fall into that range

12. K.O.D.

K.O.D. Sanity Not Included Platinum Member

Aug 21, 2013
    3.5" is about the largest I go. Despite being 6'4" 230lbs, I don't like the extra real estate a larger knife takes up in my pocket nor do I find I need a blade larger than that. In a folder at least.

Actually, I think 3.6" is the longest blade I have folder wise.

I think 3.2~ is about the average size in my collection.

13. sechip

sechip Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2013
    3" to 3.375" for EDC with 3.25" being my sweet spot.

14. Roy Batty

Roy Batty Y'all can sling load DEEZ NUTS Platinum Member

May 25, 2016
    3.4”-3.5” is perfect for me.

That’s in the range of Benchmade mini crooked river, Spyderco Pm2, and spyderco swayback. Big enough to get work done without looking like a pocket sword.

15. guy g

guy g Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 22, 2000
    I'm more of a medium.. small Sebenza, Tinker, Explorer size. Buck 112, 112 LT.
    I take it the 110 And Umnumzaan are considered large? I was using overall length as a measure.

16. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    I previously was pretty fixed on a blade length of 2.75-3.25" with a modern folder. I have quite a few in this size. I call it Delica sized which is a standard to me. But last fall I moved to smalls for edc (SAKs mostly) carry for the most part with the occasional medium sized modern. I have found that in my life the smalls work well and they are super easy to carry in your pocket. I can always grab something larger if I feel it's needed, but for edc "smalls" are now where I'm at.

I also agree with something @sabre cat said about really small knives and other than something you seldom use on a key chain or some sort of backup knife, I have little use for them. I would call them "super smalls" like a Vic Classic.

17. MacLaren1

MacLaren1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 15, 2014
    I have no real preference.
    If i like the knife, I carry it.
    Whether its a Case Small Texas Toothpick or a Medford Marauder.
    But, I live in the country and don't have to worry about knife laws.
    But, and if I really had to say, I would say 3.5" or longer.

18. Halador

Halador

Jul 6, 2013
    Medium category exclusively for me unless I'm in a place with a length limit, which thankfully Canada doesn't have (yet).

19. Fixall

Fixall Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2018
    Small, 2.75” - 3.25”. If I need something bigger, I grab a fixed blade.

20. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    60% medium
    30% large
    10% small

I like folding knives of all sizes, but the big ones are a special kind of fun.