What’s your preferred folder size

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by JDRanger, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Dadpool

Dadpool Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2015
    Interesting question! I was just thinking about this today, before I noticed the thread.

My collection is almost a perfect split between small, medium, and large folders (as defined here). I generally lump my 3.75"-4" blades in with the four-inchers, because they tend to feel like large knives to me; having those count as medium in this thread skews my numbers a bit.

One thing I've just figured out -- after pulling a bunch of my smaller knives out to evaluate a potential addition to my collection -- is how much of my focus over the past couple of years has been on ~3.25" and ~4" blades. The legal limit in my city is 3.5", so when we first moved here I initially focused on that size; capable, medium, and as large as I can carry. But over time, unconsciously, I've gravitated more towards either side of that length.

guy g likes this.
  2. MTHall720

MTHall720 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 21, 2010
    My favorite folders are mostly between about 3.7 inches up to about 5 inches. Big hands and stout blades.

3. UmnumMAN

UmnumMAN

Mar 21, 2020
    Anything 3"-4" is good for me

4. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    using you're sizes......medium and large are what I use and like and find useful. the small size I have no real use for except for 3.25".

5. rexromic

rexromic Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2011
    Medium

6. evltcat

evltcat Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Given my choice I like a nice large folder 3.75 - 4.0" blade.
    I never go less than 3.35", or the handle is usually too small for my hand.

7. miso2

miso2 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 19, 2014
    2.95”

8. Grizzm@n

[email protected] Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 1, 2020
    My preference is mediums, between 3.4" and 3.75". I'm debating getting a 3.2" one, which will be the smallest I've ever owned with a clip.

9. WhitleyStu

WhitleyStu Keep'em scary sharp!!! Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 8, 2006
    3.5" XM-18 is just right...

10. Detroit1980

Detroit1980

May 17, 2020
    I prefer knives at 3" or just under because here in Michigan there's a lot of grey areas when it comes to knives. The laws are not preemptive, which means that each city can have their own knife laws that supercede state law. In Detroit there's a 3" law, which is absolutely ridiculous, especially when I have a CPL, so I can legally carry a pistol but not a blade over 3" in Detroit.

11. Zulus

Zulus

May 29, 2020
    3 1/2" to 4" blade
    4 1/2" to 5" handle