What are Scandi grinds advantage?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Randydb, Sep 7, 2020.

1. Randydb

Randydb Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 27, 2014
    As I was grinding today I was looking at how the early part of my grinding process wasn't far from creating a scandi grind.
    Who uses those, and what is their advantage? I have one blank from another maker that is scandi ground and it is heavy. BUT it is razor sharp. But i don't know the difference in performance I might expect.

2. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    You listed the two advantages - heavy duty and very sharp.

The Nordic hunters needed a blade that would do all tasks. It had to be heavy duty and sharp. The scandi grind makes a low angle edge backed up by a fairly thick blade. Many/most were made from laminated steel with soft iron sides and a thin high carbon core. This made the knife even tougher and the edge held up longer.

Sam Wilson likes this.
  3. Hengelo_77

Hengelo_77 Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Plus easier to sharpen, just the bevel flat on the stone, no setting/keeping angles

4. A.McPherson

A.McPherson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 27, 2012
    I think bushcrafter's obsession with the scandi grind is a bit... Overblown? Uninformed?

I dunno, I think a 1/8" thick blade, ffg with a relativly short blade and a good handle will work better for nearly every task.
    Except battoning.
    Bring a hatchet.

That's all I've got to say on the subject!

5. J-T-K

J-T-K

May 11, 2020
    Ease of sharpening on the field any day! Just find any flat stone!

6. Scaniaman

Scaniaman

Jun 15, 2012
    I agree. A flat grind is more versatile / less limited. Not harder to sharpen either.

Surely there must have been some labour / cost / production perspective in the evolution of this kind of grind as well, historically? Less demanding to produce than a FFG at any given thickness of stock.
    I am just not convinced about the allround superiority of that geometry per se. And I'm pretty sure battoning wasn't how scandi grinds evolved either.

Sam Wilson likes this.
  7. Natlek

Natlek

Jun 9, 2015

8. Storm W

Storm W KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 19, 2019
    From what i understand scandi grinds are meant for carving wood. Like a chisel they don't have much of a secondary bevel and have a fair bit of material to back up the edge. I have even seen it talked about that it is designed to carve wood and that for bushcrafting much of what you do is carve wood so for those task it doesn't fall as far behind a FFG.

9. Seedy Lot

Seedy Lot

Apr 15, 2019
    I feel a big advantage to a scandi is one can use thin stock and have a stiff blade. Take a scandi with a 0.080 inch thick spine and 10dps geometry and many are surprised by how versatile the knife can be. Most makers that use scandi grinds use thick stock and bevel geometry, not a good combination in my mind.

Natlek likes this.
  10. Sam Wilson

Sam Wilson

Sep 3, 2012
    Probably the biggest advantage to bushcrafters is that it makes someone who has a very low skill level feel like they can actually use a knife, due to the aggressive cutting ability in wood (on shallow cuts) inherent to the grind. Then it helps to propagate the cycle that "scandi grinds are best for bushcraft," which in turn makes it possible for makers to sell knives with a "forge finish" on 95% of the knife, 3 passes per side on the grinder, and call the rest of the finish/knife "field ready" or "meant for actual use" and charge the same amount (or more) as an actually finished knife. ;):D:)

The biggest advantage for the maker of said knives is they only have to grind 1/5 of a knife, and call all the unfinished areas/mistakes intentional, to "encourage use.";):):p

Sam:thumbsup:

11. kbright

kbright

Jun 27, 2004
    There's another forum with an Unpopular Opinions thread. Maybe we need one too.