What are you using for a folder?

Discussion in 'Good Knife Co.' started by bikerector, Aug 29, 2020.

1. bikerector

bikerector KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 16, 2016
    Good day ladies and gents, with some of the upcoming equipment upgrades in the shop we will have the capabilities to take on making folders. So I was curious, what do y'all like to use in different circumstances?

For me, my most used EDC is a spyderco native 5 and then probably the lionsteel bestman 2-blade. I'm a big fan of 2-bladed slippies on opposing ends. The benchmade mini grip was a great EDC but I don't own one anymore. I like to use my protech TR2 often as well and it's really grown on me the past few months, even though it's a little more tacticool than I normally go for.

For around the house, it's more likely I'll carry a sodbuster style slipjoint if my kid is feeling grabby and trying to pull things out of my pockets or it's a millie, a buck 110, or hogue EX04 with the crazy modified wharn blade. The TR2 is high on the list as well.

For outdoors, It's often a cold steel goldeneye, the hogue, or a rajah II if I'm just playing around. The SAK harvest sees frequent use as well. I often grab a fixed blade for this type of use so I don't diversify here as much.

2. 1066vik

1066vik Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    almost every day, there's a SAK Huntsman/Hunter in my front pocket with the car keys
    on work days, there's a 2-bladed slipjoint in the wallet pocket along with a streamlight 2xAAA light.

At home, the slipjoint is generally replaced by a hogue ritter or a benchmade griptilian and kabar wrench knife or esee xancudo.
    if I'm going to be out in the woods, I may upsize to an ESEE 3HM or BK16 with an ESEE6/6HM, Skrama, or Parangatang, depending on the plan for the day.

f1addict and bikerector like this.
  3. Tetsujin 140.6

Tetsujin 140.6 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2011
    I’m pretty much a sebenza guy all the time. I usually also carry a small fixed blade, but I haven’t found an occasion where I’ve been under served by either the small or larger sebi. I have a few custom folders I also like, but for whatever reason, more than 9 out of 10 times it’s the sebenza is in my pocket.

bikerector and f1addict like this.
  4. f1addict

f1addict Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 10, 2017
    Not counting a SAK (either Tinkerer or Hunstman), if I carry a folder it’s going to be my Sebenza or Para 3. That’s all it’s been the last 3-4 years.

bikerector likes this.
  5. 1066vik

1066vik Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    I tried carrying a Mnandi for about 6 months, but it just felt wrong using it to open and/or cut up boxes, so I switched back to GEC before I marred up the blade.
    one of these days it'll probably get listed on the exchange.

f1addict likes this.
  6. Velitrius

Velitrius Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2000
    Been carrying a Bugout nowadays.

It's light, carries deep, it's narrow in the pocket but fills the hand enough for its purpose, has good steel and has a good blade profile.

Some other knives that ride out the door are a Mini Grip with custom aluminum scales, and a couple of Kershaws.

My Uncle bought me this thing... I carry it some days. If/When it goes T.U. I won't replace it, but I carry it out of respect.

[​IMG]

7. JK Knives

JK Knives Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 6, 2001
    Usually a Victorinox Pioneer, Buck 110, or a Benchmade Adamas. Sometimes instead of a folder I carry one of my EO1 EDC models in a pocket sheath.

8. marchone

marchone Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2013
    I carry a SAK Compact and a sub 3-inch Laconico EZC.

But my hard work folder is a Shirogorov F3.

f1addict likes this.