What are your thoughts about the US-made Gerber DoubleDown folding machete/knife?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Stahlmann, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Stahlmann

Stahlmann

Jan 21, 2021
    [​IMG]

The US-made, Gerber DoubleDown Balisong-like Folding Machete/Knife,
    featuring a 6.75" 420HC stainless steel drop point blade.​

Dadpool likes this.
  2. goldie

goldie

Feb 18, 2000
    I dont know how good 420hc would be as a machete.Just seems gimmicky;i cant picture owning something like that.

3. Stelth

Stelth

Jul 15, 2007
    $147 where I looked. I'll stick with this.

[​IMG]

4. Weiss

Weiss

Jan 3, 2007
    It looks like a giant balisong. I like it. I don't know how good it is at what it's sold to be -- folding machete -- but it befits my penchant for the oddball.

Stahlmann likes this.
  5. sheep herder

sheep herder

Jan 9, 2021
    Looks like something I'd expect from Gerber. I'm not buying that.

6. goldie

goldie

Feb 18, 2000
    147.00?? Theres so many better choices for the same or less i thought it was 50-70 another “winner” from gerber .

7. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    Giant Butterfly knife / machete idea is very cool but needs better steel . :(

Plus this one here already has been around awhile ...and it works ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

[​IMG]

abbydaddy and Lee D like this.
  8. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    Are there really that many balisong machetes out there? I'm out of the loop.

jstrange likes this.
  9. W. Anderson

W. Anderson Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 22, 2016
    Maybe if you could flip it (which you can't.) Not really a balaisong.

Lee D likes this.
  10. MarkN86

MarkN86

Sep 3, 2012
    Well... They tried. Someone give them a participation medal.

For $14 you could get a 12" machete that could work circles around that and hold up for years. It will likely sell because the average joe thinks it's cool, I just hope it doesn't take a finger with it when it breaks.

They probably have to charge that much for it so they can afford the lawyers when people hurt themselves with it.

Alberta Ed and CVamberbonehead like this.
  11. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015
    Coming from Gerber, I would expect it to be crap. Besides which, six inches of blade on a long handle doesn’t strike me as all that attractive. To test the concept, however, I am planning to stick a piece of broomstick into the handle of a CS Bushman. If it doesn’t work out, I’ll be out $20. If it does, I still won’t get the Gerber thing.

abbydaddy, Alberta Ed and afishhunter like this.
  12. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    [​IMG]

abbydaddy and Henry Beige like this.
  13. goldie

goldie

Feb 18, 2000
    I basicly meant theres better practical use machetes not bali type machetes.Its way overpriced too.

14. KenHash

KenHash

Sep 11, 2014
    Makes me wonder exactly what market Gerber is targeting with this product. I can't see people who own Machetes or large Fixed Blades, or even those who carry balisongs jumping for joy upon seeing this product.

15. afishhunter

afishhunter Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 21, 2014
    Pre-Pubecent Mall Ninja Wannabees with "rich" parents or grand parents possessing more cash than gray matter, that get them pretty much whatever they want?

What good is a 6.75 inch machete? Too short to chop vines/shrubs, remove or trim palm fronds ... or open coconuts ...

KenHash and Henry Beige like this.
  16. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015
    Yeh, like that.

DocJD likes this.
  17. co556guy

co556guy

Dec 13, 2011
    Gerber would greatly benefit from making knives the right way, good steel, good fit/finish, and good prices.

Show the market they see the light.

Instead, they keep proving why they are the outdoor company equivalent of the mail ninja store.

They had a brand they could have built into a powerhouse. Instead, they basically make gimmicks.

rustyspike and dirc like this.
  18. dirc

dirc

Jan 31, 2018
    yeah, anyone on bf should know that machete and folding don't belong together ;)

my ontario machete is 1075 & tougher than nails and I could get a half dozen of them for the price of that single gerber

abbydaddy likes this.
  19. KenHash

KenHash

Sep 11, 2014
    Such people really should not be allowed to possess sharp objects.

afishhunter likes this.
  20. afishhunter

afishhunter Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 21, 2014
    Agree. However, it is a Gerber, so no guarantee the edge is sharper than the spine ... or a "butter knife".

Billy The Hungry and KenHash like this.