What axes do you use.

Discussion in 'Becker Knife & Tool' started by trailbum, Jan 31, 2011.

1. randalljames6

randalljames6

Jan 1, 2011
    Ive been using a fiskars axe but now im starting a project bahco axe rehandle and cleanup. Anybody know a good source to order a hickory 18-20 inch handle?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. cherokee tj

cherokee tj

Aug 13, 2008
    Trader X may have injured himself with an axe but I bet the next time he went to the woods he still took one with him.

3. AlvarF

AlvarF

Aug 26, 2010
    That is my actual axe. Made in Spain by Forester brand. I hope you like it :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Qeth

Qeth

Dec 13, 2010
    How would the Kabar kukri hold up as a hatchet? For say, splitting up wood in lieu of batoning.

5. Moosez45

Moosez45 Custom Antlers, Factory Knives... Moderator

Jul 14, 2010
    WHOA!!! Serious hardware. I like the looks of that. How effective is it? Does it get loose after beating some wood into submission?

Either way, that is one badass blade, brother. OR should I say, hermano.:D

Moose

6. JV3

JV3

Mar 17, 2010
    here's a pic from mors kochanski's book i was talking about earlier today. he's got a lot more techniques so for those who don't have his book yet, it's worth every penny.

[​IMG]

i'm definitely not sectioning wood like this guy :eek:

[youtube]ik4uSmU-w78[/youtube]

7. twoism

twoism

Jan 26, 2011
    My recommendations:

<$70 - Husqvarna

<$100 - Wetterlings

<$130 - Gransfors Bruks

Roughly. My GB was $115 and my Husqvarna was $45. GB Small Forest Axe is my favorite of the bunch, although I think I prefer the head shape on my longer Wetterlings a bit more. I just find the packability of my GB more useful overall.

Between the three brands quality is more or less the same. Slight improvements from one brand to the next, but not much. The price differences are unwarranted IMO.

8. Maniacal Pete

Maniacal Pete

Oct 16, 2010
    Me too, an Estwing rides in the back seat.
    I'm saving it for the zombies.
    pete

9. PropThePolecat

PropThePolecat

Jan 31, 2009
    Thanks for posting! Feel free to show us some more :D

That technique looks safe, but the twisting looks like it would put alot of strain on your back while chopping, especially so with a smallish axe the size of the SFA.

Without me having tried it, i think id prefer kneeling like Mears advocate. But definitely a technique to be tried out nex time im out with the SFA.

10. dcbowtecher

dcbowtecher

Jan 21, 2010
    Wetterlings Hunter 19 incher. It is actually as sharp as any knife I have. Terrific piece of equipment.

11. Quarter Tank

Quarter Tank

Dec 30, 2010
    its like a California framing hammer on steroids!

12. JV3

JV3

Mar 17, 2010
    i'll show you guys what not to do and the stitches after i use it this weekend :D

13. TwinStick

TwinStick

Jan 21, 2011

That is AWESOME !! How much $$$ & can we get it here in the USA ??? :D

14. stewey1

stewey1

Nov 14, 2010
    I have a wetterlings small hunting axe, its just big enough to swing with two hands yet small enough for the belt or pack, I dont batton timber with knives I find it a pain in the arse, a small hatchet makes processing fire wood or building a shelter so easy, I take mine with me whenever I go out and fire/shelter now is a must

15. Cobra281

Cobra281

Sep 9, 2010
  16. AlvarF

AlvarF

Aug 26, 2010
    I have used it only to cut some logs in the camp and it goes well, and don´t get loose. It is also useful for nailing, camping, and as a emergency ice axe.
    Yes, you can say hermano, or better "tio" hehe. ( In Spain we use more Tio=brother :) )

Wow a California Hammer it´s awful !!. It´s a bite smaller, but it´s steroided :thumbup:!!

I´m going to ask forester for you . This one it´s a limited run of 33 pieces for a spaniard forum.
    It costed about 200US(150€)

17. GaryXD

GaryXD

Sep 1, 2003
    I got an Estwing today at Home Depot.

18. Sagewood

Sagewood

Feb 8, 2009
    I like me some Hawks :D

Here are a couple from my collection. A Cold Steel Pipe Hawk, KRJ Hawk, and an old axe saved from the thrift store and refurbished.

[​IMG]

19. JOEYBONES

JOEYBONES

Jan 3, 2011
    I have a large Fiskars axe , a Fiskars hatchet a Harbor freight POS hatchet and a Cold Steel Trailboss and have nothing at all on my property to chop. But I figure every man ought to own an axe or two.

20. DerekH

DerekH Handsome According to my Mother Moderator

Nov 18, 2010
    I would really like to get my hands on the small Husqvarna hatchet, but there isn't anyplace around here that sells em. :(