1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Week 42 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    an Kizer Vanguard V4516A1 Domin Folding Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

What did you rehang today?

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Irongun324, May 1, 2013.

1. DarthTaco123

DarthTaco123

Mar 28, 2013
    Just did up this DSI 1. The original haft broke during normal use.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  2. junkenstien

junkenstien

Feb 15, 2017
    20170805_085152.jpg 20170805_085254.jpg 1lb 5 Oz head 4 1/2 inches long 3inch bit.first little one I have found shaped like an axe

Square_peg likes this.
  3. Brian77

Brian77 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 27, 2014
    Here is what I need to rehang or get someone to do. I have little experience rehanging anything but hatchets. And those never last very well .

These are heirlooms or finds at old farm sales in PA and MO.

20170330_135723-1.jpg

Any advice is appreciated. The double bit I would like to see restored as well as the single bit . The hatchet is a Keen Kutter and I would like a handle similar to original. This hardware store handle is not done correctly.

cityofthesouth likes this.
  4. DarthTaco123

DarthTaco123

Mar 28, 2013
    Oh Did this nice old timer up, shame about the mushrooming.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
    Pretty hard to find heads that show no abuse. I would sure be happy about a Legitimus in that condition.
    Nice hang on a real nice haft. Is that a House handle?

Agent_H and DarthTaco123 like this.
  6. DarthTaco123

DarthTaco123

Mar 28, 2013
    Nope! Old stock, came with the head.

Agent_H, garry3 and Square_peg like this.
  7. cityofthesouth

cityofthesouth

Jan 29, 2014
    You can do it. Every handle is a learning experience and re-re-hanging an axe isn't a very costly endeavor. I'll bet that Jersey is a good one too.

SC T100, Agent_H and DarthTaco123 like this.
  8. jblyttle

jblyttle Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2014
  9. Agent_H

Agent_H Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Those are classy JB.

10. phantomknives

phantomknives

Mar 31, 2016
    [​IMG]
    left, TT vulcan 2 1/2 on the original handle, right is a 4 pound spiller on a salvaged handle

11. Gator39

Gator39

May 13, 2017
    Phantomknives,
    I had been thinking of mounting some single bits on straight double bit handles.
    Yours are the first modern pics I've seen of that.

I really like that look.

phantomknives likes this.
  12. phantomknives

phantomknives

Mar 31, 2016
    they still sell straight handles, most companies like house, beaver tooth and council have them. thanks for the compliment.

Agent_H likes this.
  13. 300Six

300Six

Aug 29, 2013
    A kindred soul (that'd be Square_Peg, in this case) sent me a vintage Plumb rafting head entirely 'out of the blue' early this year. Straights for dbl bits can be had, sporadically, at local stores but straights for single bits rarely show up at all. Two weeks ago (in ritzy cottage country Muskoka Lakes, Ontario) at a Home Hardware (Village of MacTier to be specific) I accidentally came across a straight splitting maul handle with good lines and nice grain and went forward with re-shaping and re-sizing it. It's not done yet (lots more wood to be spoke-shaved/rasped/filed/sanded off) but that oversize piece of wood did get 'the ball rolling'. The long suffering billet of White Oak that I've been saving (five years now!) for just such an occasion is on the back burner once again.

14. junkenstien

junkenstien

Feb 15, 2017
    20170811_205920.jpg 2 1/4 lb plumb ,handles not done wanted to swing it before dark,got a hard poll

Square_peg likes this.
  15. Agent_H

Aug 21, 2013
    Junkenstein's Plumb closer
    [​IMG]

That looks like a well fit handle, slips up under the profile of the eye wall. Looks thinned as well?

Those Plumb National patterns just look "right" on straight handles. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    Miller '72 likes this.
  16. Agent_H

Aug 21, 2013
    It's also stamped on the side facing away from a right handed user. The "Starboard" side.

17. junkenstien

junkenstien

Feb 15, 2017
    Speaking my language,I have 3.5 lb stamped on the starboard and it has a hardened poll as well.that's a 36 full sizes handle I split the shoulder on ,thinned a good bit 31inches now

18. 300Six

300Six

Aug 29, 2013
    junkenstien the jury is still out on Plumb Nationals as to whether the polls are hardened. These often have stamps on the right, high polls with bevelled edges as would be expected of 'rafters'. I was quite excited to get hold of a mostly unused pre-Permabond one (a 3 2) via jblyttle a couple of years ago but a file run over the poll edge did not skate like it should have. The file trick is easier to conduct then is pounding on it with a large ball peen to see if it chips rather than dimples. Have another look.

19. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
    They are inconsistent in the hardness it seems. I think this thread has it covered.
    https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/plumb-national-pattern-hardened-poll-or-not.1366656/

20. aikonen

aikonen

Feb 8, 2015
    I found this K├Âlefors Bruk 1943 army surplus in a trash can at work earlier this summer. Today it got a new handle.
    The wedge wasnt too thick but damn it's a solid hang. Took her out and whacked the shit out of a birch trunk, the head didn't move a thou.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

garry3, Agent_H and Kevin Houtzager like this.