1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

What did you rehang today?

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Irongun324, May 1, 2013.

1. Yankee Josh

Yankee Josh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    That's cool! How did you know the last name? And do you know what last name P signifies?

2. rjdankert

rjdankert Gold Member Basic Member Gold Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Instead of trying to chase down some green Hickory, I picked up some 8/4 kiln dried to make a handle blank for a 2 1/2 lb. Hults Bruk head I had and some other projects.

[​IMG]

This may not be the final shape, but here it is right now:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Compared with an off the shelf 28" hardware store handle:

[​IMG]

The differences:
    1.) My handle is 26 1/2".
    2.) Mine has more curve.
    3.) The grip on mine is wider. This presumably will be stronger.
    4.) Probably not obvious. but I left the knob slightly larger than what is usually seen (;)).

I have not used the axe yet, so I don't know how the fatter handle and the Big Fat Knob (BFK) will work out for me. I figure I can shape it to my liking after it gets some use. Or if it doesn't, there is always the kindling box.:D

Parting shot:

[​IMG]

Bob

3. DarthTaco123

DarthTaco123

Mar 28, 2013
    I believe that P was Pearley Pulsiver? I grew up 40 minutes from Oakland.

garry3, A17 and Yankee Josh like this.
  4. Yankee Josh

Mar 31, 2018
    That is super cool! I've always wondered... i was confused and thought it perhaps was a W for Earl Wood. I have 6 E&S axes now. None of them have all the stamps. Hard to find one with them all in tact. Any other interesting info you can think of to share? I'd love to learn as much as possible! Thanks man.

5. Maine20

Maine20

Aug 8, 2017
    I came up with the same name for the P mark when I looked in to it a while back. Nice axe, love the handle.

ithinkverydeeply, A17 and Yankee Josh like this.
  6. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    What a good looking axe! :cool:

ithinkverydeeply, Fmont and A17 like this.
  7. Fmont

Fmont Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2017
    Thanks mate, they really are the prettiest of the double bits them westerns.

A17, ithinkverydeeply and Yankee Josh like this.
  8. DarthTaco123

DarthTaco123

Mar 28, 2013
    Did up this beaut this summer as well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. A17

A17

Jan 9, 2018
    My favorite axe type and pattern! Is that a 32 inch handle? A TT Flint Edge on a 32 inch handle is the perfect axe in my opinion.

garry3, DarthTaco123 and Yankee Josh like this.
  10. DarthTaco123

DarthTaco123

Mar 28, 2013
    Yessir! 3 1/2 lb head on a 32” NOS handle

A17 and Yankee Josh like this.
  11. Yankee Josh

Mar 31, 2018
    That is a beautiful combo. Classic and just awesome! I have a cool old ad to share. [​IMG]
    It's been mentioned recently but you just can't find nice hafts like they used to make. I'm almost happier finding a nice handle than i am an axe!

Agent_H, garry3, rjdankert and 5 others like this.
  12. Travbud1

Travbud1

Aug 7, 2015
    Well, almost 4 months later I finally took some time to come back to this axe and work on thinning/shaping the handle. I’m really pleased with how everything turned out, the knob-end was somewhat accidental but I decided to go with it and I’m glad, it sure is much more comfortable to swing now.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. cityofthesouth

cityofthesouth

Jan 29, 2014
    Looks good. Where did the Hickory come from?

A17 and rjdankert like this.
  14. rjdankert

Mar 10, 2011
    I can't say with certainty. The lumber came from a local business about 10 miles from me. Part of their business was cutting trees, sawing and kiln drying rough cut lumber for sale. Sadly, they have discontinued their lumber sales.:( I am pretty sure however, that the logs were local from here in SW Michigan. Hope this helps.

Bob

cityofthesouth, A17 and Square_peg like this.
  15. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This was a more recent Stanley tack hammer with a broker tine that I modified years ago and have been using for random small hammering tasks.
    Today I decided it was time for a more proper handle and made one from a piece of broker shovel handle.
    It has a somewhat irregular hourglass eye so it may seem like a bad hang but it is good and solid.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  16. rjdankert

Mar 10, 2011
    Was given a no-name cross pein head. It's just shy of one pound (0.451 kg). Another person gave me some dried split pieces of White Ash. Put the two together today. Used my "new" AA&T CO clawless claw hatchet.

[​IMG]
    Dead porcupine in the middle of the road?

Used the hatchet a little more then spokeshave, sloyd knife, card scraper, and Japanese saw.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bob

17. Brian Rust

Brian Rust

Nov 14, 2017
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I recently hung this 2” slick I got from JB on a nice piece of I oak I turned! I think it looks good, could have went a little longer and smaller diameter but I’m happy with it for now!

18. A17

A17

Jan 9, 2018
    @rjdankert, if that hammer is anything like the one of those I have, it is a phenomenal hammer. I find myself reaching for it every time I need a hammer. Here's a (poor) pic of my hammer.
    [​IMG]

19. cityofthesouth

cityofthesouth

Jan 29, 2014
    That's a shame. Lucky thing you got some though.

rjdankert likes this.
  20. ithinkverydeeply

ithinkverydeeply Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Anyone know what brand this is with the “M” stamp?
    [​IMG]

cityofthesouth, muleman77 and A17 like this.