What did you rehang today?

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Irongun324, May 1, 2013.

1. crbnSteeladdict

crbnSteeladdict

Jul 31, 2017
    It is probably me stereotyping but when I see Topor stuck deep into a stump I imagine abundance of headless hens and unlimited supply of chicken soup for cold Winter season.
    Is the handle made of beech?

jake pogg, A17 and Yankee Josh like this.
  2. Square_peg

Square_peg Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Yes, it's certainly a perfect axe for butchering small game. I'm more likely to behead a rabbit than a chicken but I've done plenty of each and this axe would be great for it.

I'm not certain of the wood. I think beech or possibly one of the birches. It seems less dense than my Austrian axes with beech hafts.

3. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Not a full nn rehang, but the handle was loose on this old PROTO and the step wedge would neither drive in further nor pull out so I had to bite the bullet and " jam something in there " so to speak.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    You can see the piece of screw in the step wedge from where I tried to get it pulled out.

4. Yankee Josh

Yankee Josh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    This wasn't today but around a week ago. It's my first Emerson Stevens diamond eye!
    [​IMG]
    Made in 1929 and tempered by Pearly Pulsiver. One bit was longer than the other as is almost always the case. So it took some creative filing to make them appear to match.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I have had this, "RC" in a tree stump,
    helve for awhile. Anyone know who the company is?
    [​IMG]

Real happy with the hang and even more so with the axe.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It weighs under 3-3/4lb by not by a lot. Plenty of carbon steel in the bits left.
    The steel wasn't as good as my other E&S axes which I was disappointed about but it's still plenty hard enough to hold an edge.
    I'll try to post more, I've hung a ton recently I've just been busy! Take care all!
    [​IMG]

5. crbnSteeladdict

crbnSteeladdict

Jul 31, 2017
    How Knot Klipper's heat treatment compares to "better" Maine axes?

garry3 and Yankee Josh like this.
  6. jds1

jds1

Jun 9, 2007
    Just finished this one up this morning.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jeff

J.seaux, cityofthesouth, FOG2 and 8 others like this.
  7. phantomknives

phantomknives

Mar 31, 2016
    the ever elusive virginia pattern

8. jds1

jds1

Jun 9, 2007
    Thanks for the ID, I wasn’t sure!

Jeff

phantomknives likes this.
  9. FLINT77

FLINT77

Apr 8, 2013
    did up a couple more fallers axes recently, as that's how I've been using axes most frequently lately, either as a straight up fallers axe with the chainsaw, or packed in my backpack for trail maintenance which can include chopping logs out of the trail, lopping limbs, or pounding wedges in concert with either a chainsaw or a crosscut saw

both are hung on Links 27" miners axe handles as I've had pretty good luck ordering those from Bailey's.

The first is a plumb national 3^2. Head weight is right at 3 1/2 lbs. 7 1/2" x 5"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next is a Flint Edge Jersey. Head weight was 4lbs 3oz. 7" x 5 3/4"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had wanted to do up a jersey as a fallers/trail/pack axe because I already had this axe cover that fit my other two jersey's with 5 3/4" bits

[​IMG]

I sharpened both of them up quite sharp and can't wait to use them - shouldn't be long

[​IMG]

10. Meek1

Meek1 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 11, 2019
    Those are magnificent! Well done!

Yankee Josh and Hairy Clipper like this.
  11. jds1

jds1

Jun 9, 2007
    Love that Plumb!

Jeff

Yankee Josh, A17 and Hairy Clipper like this.
  12. Rise AU

Rise AU

Jun 15, 2018
    So after moving to a "temporary" place with no workspace which turned out to be 8 months. Followed by a quad bike accident where i injured my wrist and elbow shortly after moving to my current place. I'm back in action and have a few projects lined up.
    First up, A rehang I did a while back on a super fat slabby spotted gum handle 31in overall, 3 1/2lb unmarked head. I've significantly slimmed it in width and thicknes, formed a nice swell, sanded out all the tool marks and took it a bit overboard going to 600 grit. Finished it last night and only the first of many coats of blo to come. With an identical handle purchased at the same time.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  13. Miller '72

Miller '72

Jul 25, 2017
    Back in Action! Glad things are on the uptick for you after a few...challenges lol!

14. Square_peg

Square_peg Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Wow! Both perfectly done.

15. Desert_Fox

Desert_Fox

Jun 10, 2020
    I finally rehung this double bit axe. There’s a bit of a story on it. This is the axe head that got me into collecting axes this year. I found this early this year deep in the dirt, metal detecting a old farm house property in Michigan that dates back to the 1800s. I cleaned the rust off and that started my interest into axes and hatchets. I now have dozens of vintage ones in my collection. This weekend I decided to hang it on a store bought 36 inch hickory double bit handle. It took some sanding and adjusting to get it to fit properly. I didn’t have a single large metal wedge the width of the head so I had to use multiple smaller metal wedges to take the place. I finished the handle with danish oil. Although it might not be the prettiest the handle and head are rock solid and it can chop again! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Rise AU

Rise AU

Jun 15, 2018
    Nice little vaughan value brand and woodslasher. Both on identical 27" spotted gum, one light one dark. They're very slim and I haven't touched them besides a very light rasp to get the heads down then sandpaper to clean up the shoulder.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Dog lined up for this one watching birds.
    [​IMG]

17. Rise AU

Rise AU

Jun 15, 2018
    Finished up a little firestone deluxe. Hung on one of the 23" handles posted on followed me home earlier. Total length 22.5".
    Had a few good chips to file out but still plenty of life.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]