What did you use your SAK for today?

Discussion in 'Multi-tools & Multi-purpose Knives' started by Edm1, Apr 8, 2019.

1. sonofwilfred

sonofwilfred Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 23, 2015
    Walnut trees mate. 145,000 of them now.[​IMG]
    This photo is from the oldest Grove last Christmas. 4 years old.

2. sonofwilfred

Jul 23, 2015
    Not even jokin, no worries cobber

Storm 8593 and Ace Rimmer like this.
  3. 315

315 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Holy smokes!! That’s a lot of trees!!!

Hairy Clipper and sonofwilfred like this.
  4. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    That just wouldn't be enough to fill me up... :D

Hairy Clipper and sonofwilfred like this.
  5. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    As of 10am, cut up a cardboard box for my son who was bored before school time and wanted to make a jigsaw out of it and I'm sitting here at the computer fiddling with the corkscrew as I type this. It's a good fiddle toy. :)

6. MTB

MTB

Jun 23, 2019
    Used the Swisschamp again today. The chisel made short work of scraping some pretty stubborn decals that I had to remove from equipment at work. Its funny that when I first got into SAKs my method of thinking was that I wouldn't need anything more than a 3 layer with scissors. Now, I can't leave home without the Swisschamp in my pocket. Heck, I can't even leave the bedroom without it! I use every tool on it.

Storm 8593, Sawl Goodman, 315 and 8 others like this.
  7. sonofwilfred

Jul 23, 2015
    [​IMG]
    I used the bottle opener to loosen up a stuck side cover on my front end loader.

8. Sawl Goodman

Sawl Goodman

Jun 4, 2018
    Pulled out the Camper to harvest broccoli at work for dinner. It has somewhat stringy shoots and I wished for a serrated blade!

Later, home and a snack - a pear cut up with the same knife.

9. Sawl Goodman

Sawl Goodman

Jun 4, 2018
    I believe nuts are becoming increasingly important crops. Given conditions seem to be getting drier for longer in Aus, how drought tolerant are walnut trees?

Hairy Clipper likes this.
  10. sonofwilfred

Jul 23, 2015
    The normal crop we would grow rice uses 14 megalitres a hectare. And walnuts on average use 7 megs a hectare. So they use half the water to our normal water usage. All our water is from bores, underground water so we don't need rain as such to survive. The price of water in drought times is astronomical and growing rice is not economical. Rice pays on average $4500 aud per hectare and walnut trees return a minimum $30,000 aud a hectare so water prices are insignificant. The underground water is reliable in our area and is said to be safe for the foreseeable future in our increasing dry times. Water is a very hot topic in our area and it's fast becoming an "only the rich will survive situation" which is sad for family owned farms.

11. sonofwilfred

Jul 23, 2015
    [​IMG]
    My steam train loving 3 year old son gets to use the steam whistle when ever he eats a new vegetable. Today he finally ate carrot. So we used the lanyard off my sak to pull the whistle.

12. allenC

allenC

Jun 18, 2000
    It wasn't actually today, but Thursday I used the nail-file tip of my Ambassador as a phillips driver to change the battery in my Mom's car key-fob.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
  13. 315

315 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2017

My Grandad used to wake us up to go hunting with a goose call. I’m glad he never had one of those things:confused::confused:

14. Hairy Clipper

Hairy Clipper Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 28, 2009
    There is nothing quite like the sound of live steam going through a whistle or fog horn.

15. tiguy7

tiguy7 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Or the skirl of the bagpipes.

16. Hairy Clipper

Hairy Clipper Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 28, 2009
    I, too, appreciate the bagpipes.

sonofwilfred likes this.
  17. sonofwilfred

Jul 23, 2015
    [​IMG]
    An emergency repair to the suction pipe from the dam I just set fire too, while burning around our dam bank
    [​IMG]

18. Pt-Luso

Pt-Luso Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 8, 2014
  19. sonofwilfred

Jul 23, 2015
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I fashioned a stick into a tool to push wet clay off my furrower.

20. MTB

MTB

Jun 23, 2019
    Lunch! Sure, Id rather be on the trail eating this than at the office, but at least I got to play with my swiss army knife!

[​IMG]

redsparrow, Ace Rimmer, jmh33 and 8 others like this.