1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Recommendation? What do I have? Total newbie to tomahawks.

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by jrsteensen, Jul 11, 2019.

1. jrsteensen

jrsteensen

Jul 11, 2019
    Good evening everyone. Brand new here, and got pointed here by a friend. My GF recently gave me her dad's tomahawk and asked me to get it serviceable for her. Trying to figure out what it is, and if I can salvage the existing handle or if I need to rehandle it. I'd like to have this done by early September for her Bday. Shes a practical woman, so it'll get used again regardless of what it is.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A17 likes this.
  2. ScottB65

ScottB65

Jul 5, 2019
  3. shortwinger

shortwinger Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Looks like a standard Vietnam Tomahawk. Does not look like an older American Tomahawk Company Laguna hawk because it isn't sharpened in the normal places. The sheath does not look like it came from a Cold Steel Vietnam Tomahawk but you may look at the United Cutlery version.

4. Dusty One

Dusty One Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 12, 2004
    I have one with a sheath just like that. Its unmarked not American Tomahawk not Cold Steel could be early United or one of several that were imported years ago.
    You could shorten and use the existing haft or pick up a new one .

Square_peg likes this.
  5. OnceBitten

OnceBitten Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2011
    It looks like your GF's father sharpened the beard for limbing.

There should still be some replacement hafts/handles available for the Cold Steel VTAC that should fit that. I believe that they come with a small staple or wedge.