1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 25 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco Manix 2

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Manix 2 , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, June 22 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

What do you do with your knives that you no longer use?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by FlamingMoe, May 1, 2019.

1. FlamingMoe

FlamingMoe Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 26, 2019
    Once you're finished with a knife, whether it's become too beat up, you get a new knife, or you've just grown board with it, what do you do? Give it away? Sell it? Or do you just throw it in a drawer of retired knives never to see the light of day again?

Just thought this would make an interesting discussion ;):p

2. Dallas T

Dallas T Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 6, 2013
    I have the “knife drawer” where they sit in purgatory lol until rotation comes back around lol

4mer_FMF, cbach8tw, Lapedog and 4 others like this.
  3. sXePhenomenal

sXePhenomenal Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 8, 2018
    Sale it and recoup some cash

4. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    Goodwill or beater knife .

Lapedog, JustaNick and The Zieg like this.
  5. Rykjeklut

Rykjeklut Basic Member Basic Member

May 23, 2018
    The knife drawer is a real thing.
    I can't really sell any of them, as none of my acquaintances are interested, I don't know of any local forums. So my collection is steadily growing.

Sonnydaze, colin.p and The Zieg like this.
  6. Workingsloth777

Workingsloth777 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 10, 2019
    I kinda horde them but occasionally I will sell one or give one away. As of right now I have 50 folding knives that I have in different locations in my room because my knife roll only carries 11. Every time I look at them all I think of blade hq's knife addiction video. :)

7. BumblingBear

BumblingBear Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 19, 2015
    I display my nice knives. My beaters end up squirreled around where I "might" need them (I never do) or given to friends and family.

4mer_FMF, evilgreg and The Zieg like this.
  8. iareconfuse

iareconfuse

Mar 28, 2019
    They sit in a knife drawer for a while. Every now and then I'll take them out, flip them a couple times to make sure they don't feel entirely neglected. Then I put them back for another long term hibernation.

colin.p and The Zieg like this.
  9. sgt1372

sgt1372 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 16, 2018
    I never "use" any of the knives in my collection, even if they were used when I got them. I consider them collectibles that I want to preserve in the best condition possible.

HOWEVER, I have many other knives (mainly kitchen, camp & gardening tools) that I do not consider part of my collection that will ALWAYS use unless they break and cannot be repaired or can no longer function for some other reason. To date, there is no such knife in my possession; every knife that I have ever used, some over 50 yrs old, can still be used and is stored where I can find and make use of it when needed.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
    T. Erdelyi likes this.
  10. l1ranger

l1ranger

Jan 27, 2017
    I rarely sell - any knife I have that would recoup any real cash at the moment I use
    I like to give them as gifts. I have 4 nephew, with another on the way this month - the oldest two are close to the age of knives - My brother may want to give them their first though. I gave a kershaw injection to my other brother this christmas - not as a christmas gift, but he needed a knife and I had it with me as a backup.

others I have traded or PIF'd to try out something else.

then there's the keepers, they don't get used much, but for one reason or another I hang on to them. generally they belonged to a family member or were a gift from someone

T. Erdelyi likes this.
  11. PirateSeulb

PirateSeulb

Jun 6, 2017
    Lets sum this up with a little chart of sorts

Start: Does knife have sentimental value?
    =>Yes: Keep it.
    =>No: Is knife usable?
    ==>Yes: Has knife been replaced in rotation?
    ===>Yes: Sell it.
    ===>No: Keep it.
    ==>No: File 13.

12. Demiurg

Demiurg

May 1, 2019
    Hallo and sorry if I break some rule - I'm here at first time. Please help me in making a decision. Found Spyderco Military with spm rex 45 blade on Amazon. I want to buy this knife but not sure about the seller. The knife is sold by the company "Stealth Rabbit". Do you think I can trust this company? Waiting for an answer. I do not want to buy counterfeit.

13. K.O.D.

K.O.D. Banned Platinum Member

Aug 21, 2013
    I juggle them while jumping on an enclosed trampoline.

14. 3fifty7

3fifty7 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 24, 2016
    Sub $100 knives I’ll give away

$100+ I’ll hang on to them even though they don’t or hardly ever get used.

4mer_FMF, T. Erdelyi and duramax like this.
  15. Reitwagen

Reitwagen

Mar 2, 2009
    I have an accumulation of knives that got me excited enough to buy them and then see little use. I give them as gifts to my friends and as gratuity to people who help me. I keep a couple of surplus knives in the truck just to give away when the situation arises, like the time a farmer pulled me out of the mud, but wouldn't accept payment. I hope he got good use from the Case trapper I gave him.

AntDog and 4mer_FMF like this.
  16. Cosmodragoon

Cosmodragoon

Jan 1, 2019
    It depends on a few factors but they either get sold or donated.

17. Getahl

Getahl

Dec 22, 2007
    If worth my time, I'll sell. If not, trash can, GAW, or donate.

18. Hurrul

Hurrul Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2017
    Sold a small number. Mostly, I give them as gifts to people I care about. For the most part, these folks turn around and continue to not use the knife given.

Still, even without being used, knives have made unforgettable items to be gifted in my past.

19. Korean Hog

Korean Hog Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2017
    They become Mom and/ or girlfriend knives because the chicks in my life ABUSE knives.:D
    Hack through bone, open cans and leave it in the sink like a dirty dish
    They'll use them as some sort of gardening tool, whatever!
    If a knife survives the ladies it's a tough one! :cool:

20. FlamingMoe

FlamingMoe Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 26, 2019
    Well that's one way to test a knife's quality! :D