What do you guys think of those designs?

Discussion in 'H.I. Cantina' started by cybrok, May 3, 2007.

1. cybrok

cybrok

Aug 7, 2005
    Those are my first two, I plan to make them this summer with leaf spring and homemade jeans micarta.

First is a EDC, a mix between the CRKT plan B and Dan's Kardas I guess. The handle fits my hand perfectly: I made a cardboard blade "hidden tang" and wrapped it in a play-doh handle, took it the way I would took a knife, and used that print to draw the handle. Blade is approx 3.25 inches.
    [​IMG]

The second is a medium fixed blade (blade is a little over 4 inches) I will keep with my 15" BAS. The sheath will be tied to the khuk's kydex sheath. The handle is a kind of "interpolation" of Ranger's RD, SRKW's SAR, and the play-doh handle.
    [​IMG]

Yes the handles are short, but I have small hands and those are for me :)

2. sams

sams

Apr 21, 2001
    I like them. I think I'd like the blades a tad shorter. I think it will be apparent as you finish the blade. Please keep us posted on the results.

:)

3. Yvsa

Yvsa

May 18, 1999
    Nice.:thumbup: :cool: :D Are you going to forge them or use stock removal?

Cybrok may be another one we can say, "I knew him when.";)

4. cybrok

cybrok

Aug 7, 2005
    With the close neighbors I have, stock removal. I'll try to forge when I'll have a big yard, recycling old used leaf spring like the kamis do, hoping to make knives half good as they do.

And for heat treating? I'll gently ask the Metallurgy department director if I can use College's material :) Then ask some of my friends in the Biology department to stick it in Liquid Nitrogen for 12 hours, then temper it.

Cryotempering is not necessary, but hey, when it's free :p

5. Bri in Chi

Bri in Chi

May 28, 2003
    Hey, if you like how they look - that's what counts.

6. Nasty

Nasty Chief Cook & Bottle Wash

Nov 11, 2003
    If this is a deal of the day, email sent on #2...

Nice stuff Cy...

7. Phil Brown

Phil Brown

Jun 2, 2006
    Be careful, he hasn't announced the price yet! :eek:

8. Wolf_1989

Wolf_1989

Mar 30, 2007
    They look practical enough for real-world use :thumbup:

9. Fiddleback

Fiddleback Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Oct 19, 2005
    They're good designs. I'm not into choils. After a few cuts they get real uncomfortable. So, I like the first one best.

10. cybrok

cybrok

Aug 7, 2005
    I think I'll start by making the first one, the EDC.

Before I make the other one, I have to sort out how to do the black coating... I had my idea on that, but it wont work :(

Nasty, for 50$ plus shipping, I can print you the picture and send it to you :p But it's only because it's you ;)

11. Nasty

Nasty Chief Cook & Bottle Wash

Nov 11, 2003
    I'd accept CY, but then I'd have to assign infraction points for both of us.

FWIW...my unofficial, free and worth every penny opinion is that *any* coating will reduce the performance of any blade. I'd go polished...

I have citation of this by a very well known knifemaker whose opinion *is* official but also free, but worth more than I can express.

12. cybrok

cybrok

Aug 7, 2005
    Wasn't it Good Old Uncle Bill that said "If it doesn't rust, don't trust it".

I'm just lazy and don't want to oil the blade I guess.

13. Yvsa

Yvsa

May 18, 1999
    Hayv! :D I have to agree with the reasoning behind the polish but I still prefer a satin finish as a polished blade is terribly hard to keep that way with as hard a use as those guys are going to put them through.