What do you think of a deep carry pocket clip? Does it matter to you while you choosing a knife?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Kizer Cutlery, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Omnius

Omnius

Apr 17, 2020
    Any clips don't matter to me at all. I don't like, want or use them and would like them gone for good. Clips only make the design looks uglier and create handle hotspots.
    I only want good screws that won't strip and easy access to them, because clip removal is one of the first things I always do with a new knife.

Heirphoto likes this.
  2. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    If you are going to start another one of these threads, shouldn't you at least make the picture of a knife with pocket clip showing? :D

But seriously, I use to be all about deep carry clips. I still like them a lot but as I spend more time in this hobby I have found them to not be all that important. What I find much more important is the way a clip looks. Sometimes companies make clips look funky just to be different. Just give me a good solid clip that is done nice and simple. If it is placed well, it doesn't need to be deep carry to carry well. I have absolutely not bought knives because I couldn't get past how the clip looks. Spyderco, Benchmade, ZT, CRK do the best clips IMO.

3. jlauffer

jlauffer Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 11, 2016
    Why would the Tesla Cybertruck need a pocket clip?:p

Ippon98, BIGDORK, Murphjd25 and 2 others like this.
  4. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Ha! You are being generously nice with that comparison.

BIGDORK, Lee D and jlauffer like this.
  5. Connor_MacLeod

Connor_MacLeod

Oct 19, 2016
    I prefer knives with deep carry clips and am more likely to buy them versus knives without deep carry clips. I spend a lot of time in office environments and feel like deep carry clips may help prevent making non-knife enthusiasts nervous.

Mako109 likes this.
  6. Julian Williams

Julian Williams

Apr 22, 2019
    Clips don't usually make or break a knife for me. But I do prefer a little knife/clip sticking out so I can grab it.

7. timberweasel

timberweasel Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 5, 2011
    I prefer deep carry pocket clips but it isn't necessarily a deal-breaker to me. I am, however, very picky nowadays about milled pocket clips--there are a few exceptions, but I mostly avoid knives with milled clips as they tend to be pocket shredders.

8. Murphjd25

Murphjd25 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2016
    I use to only want deep carry clips on all my knives. Then one day, I met Mr. Sebenza, and the rest is history. If it were up to me, every single knife ever made would have the Sebenza clip. Best clip ever made in my opinion.

9. 000Robert

000Robert Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Mar 28, 2020
    Depends on how I want to carry the knife. It would be nice to have options for clips when I buy a knife. It might not be a deal breaker, especially if I can get an aftermarket clip that fits the bill.

Ippon98 likes this.
  10. digital9ja

digital9ja

Feb 4, 2007
    I got a ZT0640 and the clip that came with it seemed like it was made for wearing with very thin material, like dress slacks. I wear Riggs Workwear cargo pants and they have a thick leather reinforced patch on the right side pocket so I needed something that would accommodate that. Also, while I was carrying the knife with the factory clip the knife stuck up so far it was getting g snagged under the edge of the benches at work and just about ripping the knife out of my pocket.

I bought a MXG titanium deep carry clip and I love it. It looks great, feels great in hand, holds the knife securely and with some practice I have a pretty solid/swift draw. It added $30 to the price of the knife, but without it I would not have hesitated to send the knife right back. The factory clip was a huge deal-breaker for me.

11. ROCK6

ROCK6

Feb 8, 2004
    While I prefer a deep pocket clip, it's not a make or break. If I like the folder enough, I'll get an aftermarket deep pocket clip. I do find it a nice bonus if I find a knife design I like and it has a deep pocket clip.

12. Mako109

Mako109

Dec 17, 2008
    Where I live and work, and among my peers, a discreet and deep carry clip is highly preferable on an EDC knife; there are few exceptions. I have rejected desireable knives because of the lack of after market deep carry clip options.

One popular knife reviewer once stated, "Many of us use our EDC knives maybe only 1-2% of the time we are carrying it, but we use the clip 100% of that time." "I wish more knife makers put as much thought into their clip designs as they do the rest of the knife."

13. Knives&Lint

Knives&Lint

May 10, 2013
    I may be in the minority here, but for the most part I personally can't stand deep carry clips. I even dislike the idea behind them when the reason given is to hide the knife as to not offend the general knife fearing public. I like my knife to stick out of my pocket a bit, and I simply find a standard clipped knife easier to access. I understand deep carry when it fits a design well like some of the office type carry knives that almost resemble a pen in pocket, and I also don't mind Spyderco wire clips. That being said deep carry clips that can't be swapped have put me off of purchasing a number of knives that I otherwise would have liked.

Ippon98 likes this.
  14. 000Robert

000Robert Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Mar 28, 2020
    I like deep carry clips because I don't want bad guys to see everything that I have on me. Concerning the general public, I could care less what they think. Most of them are just victims looking for a criminal to kneel before.
    I normally just put my index finger into my pocket at the tip of the clip and pull the knife part way out by pulling the clip until the knife comes out far enough to get my thumb on.

15. fishface5

fishface5 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2001
    For me what matters most is comfort in the hand, how deep the clip sits isn't that important -- but I don't like it to stick super-high out of the pocket.

Ippon98 likes this.
  16. Boombats

Boombats

Mar 21, 2010
    A lot of otherwise law-abiding citizens have ended up on Riker's Island because their clip was visible. Obviously that's as due to conspicuous clip design (and having brown skin) as it is due to a high-riding knife, but both factors matter. A clip is a clip, but a knife butt is definitely a knife. I live in the 'burbs so that's not an issue for me, so my primary personal reason for preferring deep carry is that I'm less likely to lose my knife. I lost 2 Benchmade Barrages (one of which was from a custom run) thanks to doggone passenger-side seatbelts. The 583-1 doesn't ride super high but it's not deep either. My secondary reason is that they're more comfortable. My Vector 496 rolls deep and it's so much better of a pants companion than everything else I've owned, and it doesn't catch on my watch or anything else, which goes back to reason #1.

17. SlamAdams

SlamAdams Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 13, 2020
    I started utilizing after market deep carry clips to be low key at work and it has grow on me. I keep getting more and more discreet the older I get. I have no interest in anyone seeing a knife clipped to me.

18. Ippon98

Ippon98

Feb 15, 2017
    Ergos and good retention, durability,andto a point - looks are all that matter to me. I understand why some would value deep carry.

Serious question though: those of you who prefer deep carry as to not draw attention to your knife, do you feel comfortable pulling it out to use it in those situations? For example if your coworkers are scared of knives (sounds like you need a new job :p) why carry it at all if they would be scared to even see it in your pocket, let alone actually use it?

Edit for grammar

19. Chronovore

Chronovore Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 29, 2019
    Yes! I really wish that recessed screws would become standard for deep carry clips. Having the screw heads bumping up into the loop can complicate the pocket interface on some pants. The solution seems easy and non-controversial.

Recessing the scale for a deep-carry clip is another story. Yes, it can be nice to have a smooth transition from the scale to the inner edge of the clip. However, it usually doesn't bother me as much as exposed screw heads. The trade-off here shows up on the other side when a knife is meant to be convertible for lefties. Instead of small screw holes, you get a big cut-out. It's usually ugly. It's often rough. It tends to contrast with the ergonomic contour of the scales. Yes, some manufacturers provide a screw-in plate to fill the gap. That can be even uglier! :eek:

20. Spydieboi

Spydieboi

Sep 29, 2019
    I think it depends on how you plan on using the knife. If it’s a work knife I would skip the deep carry just to that the knife is easier to grab out of the pocket. Also I’ve bent deep Carry clips in the past. If you are looking for something less obvious or just for ease of carry I think deep carry also works. I have a mix on my knives.