1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 33 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Boker Urban Trapper 732 , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

What do you use in the kitchen?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by gkeenang, Feb 1, 2017.

1. chumaman

chumaman

Nov 13, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  2. Emre

Emre

Nov 15, 2006
    An old Global GF-33 (forged 8" chef's) has been my primary kitchen knife for about 20 years now. It was recommended by Anthony Bourdain, who my girlfriend at the time used to know from the NYC restaurant scene of the '90s. He said it was what he and all the cooks in professional kitchens preferred if they had a choice. I think I paid something like $125 for it in the mid-'90s.

3. sabre cat

sabre cat Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2014
    I normally reach for a seven inch Santoku before anything else. It's made by Anolon. They make nice pots and pans but their knives are not the greatest.

4. Dangerously

Dangerously

Jan 8, 2013
    I can't speak for him, but I use a nakiri all the time. The flat edge and ultra-thin stock are incredible for soft foods such as vegetables. The flat edge means you don't have to rock it in order to dice, you just chop quickly and the whole blade touches the cutting board at the same time. A joy to use.

5. upnorth

upnorth

Nov 25, 2006
    Cool connection. I have been watching/reading Bourdain for many years. I seem to remember a Global reference also. But alas I am peasantry, so will likely grab a Cold Steel Chefs knife to replace our Chinese ? POS. The wife still likes her stainless Mora thumb tip slicers though, so they stay.

6. zzyzzogeton

zzyzzogeton

Feb 17, 2013
    I have an eclectic mix of kitchen cutlery...

- A set of Henckles kitchen knives
    - A set of Becker/Esee kitchen knives,
    - A set of Pinnacle Cutlery kitchen knives
    - over a dozen Old Hickory knives ranging from butcher knives down to paring knives
    - several 1960s vintage Pioneer Seed Company give-a-way paring knives
    - a bunch of old steak knives that got relegated to the "paring knife drawer" when they were replaced by
    - a set of Regal Sheffield steak knives
    - nearly a dozen Quikcut bread knives accumulated over the years by listening to some salesman's spiel at a grocery store

and that's just what's in the kitchen.

Out in the shop, I also have
    - a whole bunch of knives that are in the dedicated chuck box for camping,
    - a box of knives that are awaiting replacement handles (just because a plastic handle cracks or a wood handle separates doesn't mean you throw it away)
    - a back-up set of Becker/Esee kitchen knives
    - a box of vintage kitchen knives accumulated over the years

And I also have, as part of my Kabar collection,
    - a set of 6 Kabar stag handled steak knives
    - a set of 12 Kabar wood handled steak knives
    - 2 Kabar carving sets (carving knife, serving fork)
    - Kabar potato masher
    - Kabar slotted spoon
    - 5 Kabar P19-S and pre-P19-S mini cleavers
    - Kabar grapefruit knife

7. leghog

leghog

Aug 10, 2013
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Emre

Emre

Nov 15, 2006
    He wasn't a big deal back then; just the chef at a local restaurant. I think his first book had just come out (or was about to), so this was way before his TV show and everything. He was a huge fan of Global knives and used to rave about them.

The girl I was seeing at the time was very plugged in to the restaurant world in NYC. Because I was a knife nut, I'd always ask about knives and sharpening whenever I met a chef or cook. That's probably why Bob Kramer was one of the first custom makers I ever heard of: he catered to the professional kitchen crowd.

9. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    My very first kitchen knives were a set of Case branded carbon steel blades in various configurations. They are over 30 years old and still going. I considered them pretty good kitchen knives at the time. As mentioned earlier, I do use a lot of the Victorinox utility and paring knives that run under $12 each.

10. Taike

Taike

Sep 29, 2016
    [​IMG]

My current main kitchen knifes:

Unknown Japanese bread knife - no frills but a workhorse
    Messermeister Meridian Elite - big and heavy
    Forschner Victorinox 10 in - my first decent knife. Still a go-to tool
    Global G2 - got that bug a few years ago
    Tiers - "Le Roi de la Coupe" - fav for many years
    Kai Santoku
    Locally made damascus utility - brilliant general purpose knife
    Marks 2100 6 in - made in Brazil - my second decent knife
    Global GS-3
    Kasumi Honesuki - my latest. Very fun
    Global GS-7 - great paring knife
    Wusthof Trident paring
    Kyocera ceramic
    Paderno boning

In-drawer knife tray for keeping 'em handy.

Seesteel likes this.
  11. Seesteel

Seesteel Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2018
    +1

12. SharpieB

SharpieB Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2017
    I use Grohmann kitchen knives mostly. Great Canadian knifemaker.

I always buy their “seconds” when I see them online and they end up being about the same price as crappy knives from Marshall’s.

Dangerously likes this.
  13. 353

353 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 20, 2015
    Takamura Migaki R2 Gyuto 210mm holds an edge forever compared to my old Vic. I'm VERY happy with it.

Picture from the www:

[​IMG]

Seesteel and FOG2 like this.
  14. cchu518

cchu518 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Chinese chef cleaver which is really a chef knife and not a cleaver, high carbon USA made and also a chef and santuku made by Henckels. I'm not to picky when it comes to that stuff for some reason.

15. arty

arty

Oct 18, 2003
    Paring knives - North arms S35V, Northwoods XHP, Gerbers 3" & 4" in 440C
    Northwoods 5" Petty in XHP
    Spyderco Yang VG10 6"
    Tojiro 7" Gyoto VG10
    Tojiro 8" Western Deba VG10 (love this knife for heavy work, like cutting up a chicken or splitting lobster tails)
    Warthers S35 Carving knives 7", 9"
    Warthers 6" boning knife
    Sabatier 8" 4 Elephants chef's knife
    I still use a Flint bread knife. I probably use the Petty, boning knife and paring knives more than longer knives. I normally use the smallest knife that will do what I want.

16. Jocephus1

Jocephus1

May 30, 2007
    When my mother died of Alzheimers about 10 years ago, I inherited her Cutco set.

Yes, I'm going to get some folks to sneer on this forum. Yes, I know there are far better knives out there. However, hell will freeze over before I get rid of that set.

1) my wife likes them
    2) I've had nothing but good to say about Cutco's customer service and warranty.

17. Phil Indablanc

Phil Indablanc Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 4, 2017
    My go to knife is my Bradford M390 Chef knife. For any rough stuff the Global takes over. I also have a Kikuichi that I really like and a Zakuri. I have an old ESEE Becker Signature series set of knives that I allow the wife and company to use.[​IMG] [​IMG]

Seesteel likes this.
  18. Kid Shamrock

Kid Shamrock Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 20, 2012
    I cook with wine. Sometimes, I even put it in the food!! :rolleyes:

19. NapalmCheese

NapalmCheese

Aug 24, 2006
    • 10 inch carbon K Sabatier chef knife
    • 8 inch stainless Henckels chef
    • 6 inch flex straight Henckels boning knife
    • 6 inch stiff straight Chicago Cutlery boning knife
    • 5 inch semi-flex curved F. Dick boning knife
    • 10 inch Vic Fibrox serrated offset bread knife
    • some cheap stamped 3 inch paring knife
    • some cheap stamped 5 inch petty
    • Sabatier cleaver (newer, stainless, and too light - don't like it)
    • No. 8 Opinel Carbon for scoring bread loaves and picnics.

20. NapalmCheese

NapalmCheese

Aug 24, 2006
    I've got no beef with Cutco kitchen knives. I like the handles quite a bit. Hollow grinds (IIRC they are hollow) aren't my favorite in the kitchen (preferring full flat for most things) but they cut fine, sharpen well, balance well, and feel good in the hand; what more do you need?

Jocephus1 likes this.