What happened to Case?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by shoebill_stork, Aug 27, 2020.

1. solphilos

solphilos Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 17, 2009
    What’s the name of this river and where is the spot located? Asking for a friend

2. cudgee

cudgee Gold Member Gold Member

May 13, 2019
    I'll bring the diving gear.:thumbsup:

3. Misplaced Hillbilly

Misplaced Hillbilly Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2018
    I can't tell, someone may dredge them up, I cant let such bad knives fall into someone else's hands. Here I thought I had nice fine cutlery,good honest knives I wasn't ashamed to carry and show off. I had no idea what an embarrassment I was being showing people my Case knives, all the times people seen them and thought "that poor misguided fool":( Now that I'm looking I see what people mean about GEC's sunken pins.....its ghastly....looks like another trip to the river....

chuck4570, Will Power, Don W and 3 others like this.
  4. Tyson A Wright

Tyson A Wright Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 9, 2020
    The recent posts are what I was talking about in this quote from my first post. The fact that some of us have been disappointed by Case isn't actually an attack on any of you Case fans. I'm glad you enjoy them! It's a hobby, and if collecting Case knives makes you happy, keep at it!

-Tyson

5. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    I thought you were serious...
    I thought, why in God's name would you do that???

6. Wild Willie

Wild Willie Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2018
    I have to agree with you here, I've only owned 3 gec knives, and they definitely leave a bit to be desired in the way of a factory edge. I don't mind putting a little work into a knife, but at the price they bring I'd like to see at least a shaving edge out of the box.

Quiet and solphilos like this.
  7. Misplaced Hillbilly

May 16, 2018
    I know, I have an odd way of trying to lighten up the thread. And discussions and voicing of opinions is what a public forum is all about. Some people view Case as expensive others view them as cheap, who is right? Well they both are, as Obi Wan Kenobi says "from a certain point of view" As I posted earlier some of my Case's exhibits blade rub, which given the patterns I don't see as a flaw. Someone else may feel that is unacceptable. So which of us is right? I am of course :p
    Nah again we're both right,for ourselves :thumbsup:

chuck4570, Will Power, Don W and 4 others like this.
  8. Misplaced Hillbilly

May 16, 2018
    I agree several of mine wasn't "my kinda sharp" especially the last 1/4 inch near the tip. Maybe veering from the topic but, for from the box sharpness nobody beats Buck. Imho:thumbsup:

9. Wild Willie

Wild Willie Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2018
    I'd like to add that I truly enjoy the case knives I own, and have owned. One went down the road in a GAW I hosted a while back. I still have the other 2, a mini trapper in yellow delrin that's about perfect in my eyes other than a small crack in the delrin (And that's something I don't really even notice), and a slab side hunter that was given to me by a very dear friend when I was 17, it was and still is my deer knife. 16038470174661980009540.jpg

10. cudgee

cudgee Gold Member Gold Member

May 13, 2019
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:thumbsup:;)

11. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    I'm not sure if I posted this one before because I lost it and just found it today, but it's a fine example.
    [​IMG]
    This knife right here is evidence of how good of a job case can do, whoever is responsible for this one deserves a bonus.
    I would give this a 99% on F&F.

chuck4570, Quiet, Ace Rimmer and 12 others like this.
  12. Scott J.

Scott J. Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 8, 2019
    Good analysis!! I'll have to check out those F-P's.

Will Power and Prester John like this.
  13. brownshoe

brownshoe I support this site with my MIND

Sep 6, 2002
    People love to trash Case. Not sure why they buy more than one if they are so bad. Some even hand-select one, buy it and then tell us how bad it is...why buy it in the first place? I think some trash Case for sport. You know, a whipping boy to ease the troubles we had today.

I buy Case for me and as a US made knife gift. I buy at hardware stores, Cabelas, Basspro and the internet. I've never returned one due to quality. I did send back one knife, a Bose/Case, for repair; even though the cracked scale was my fault, they fixed it for free.

I can find a flaw in any knife, Case, GEC, Rough Rider, and each of my custom traditionals. Anything made by man will be flawed. Victorinox is the most flawless and the most mechanized production. Perfection is not a human attribute. Even Victorinox is flawed...cheap steel ;)

When I look at a face or a dog, sometimes it's the imperfections that make it desirable. Like the chick with the mole or cracked tooth :)

14. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Tried to shave arm hair with a new 110, barely touching the skin, and started bleeding!

15. Scott J.

Scott J. Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 8, 2019
    The cracked tooth tho?? :thumbsup::D

chuck4570, Will Power and sitflyer like this.
  16. JD Bear

JD Bear Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 4, 2015
    Definitely a good point. In my particular situation with a Bose collab knife, if Chevy (Case) was advertising a model with top of the line Lexus build quality and pricing it as such, it better not come with scratched rims and a misfire right off the showroom floor. And if it did, they shouldn't tell you that's how it's supposed to be.

That being said, I don't put fruit in my beer and I don't buy knives with pink and purple sparkly acrylic...so Case hasn't been making anything I'd buy anyway. I'll spend a little more and get a GEC...

hornetguy likes this.
  17. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    @JD Bear Your experience with the Collab is more than disappointing and they are expensive. I don't recall seeing any pictures of it, could you remind us please?

Regards, Will

chuck4570 likes this.
  18. JD Bear

JD Bear Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 4, 2015
    I never took any. I'll post some for you guys. It might not be until the weekend though since the kids and I have pumpkin carving to do and stuff like that. My 6 year old and I are in the middle of a yard inflatable situation and we need to figure that out before Saturday...

19. hornetguy

hornetguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    Well... you obviously need to get in touch with your feminine side. I suggest getting several pairs (different pastel colors) of skinny jeans. if you still have hair, you should immediately let it grow out enough to rock a man bun.
    A "man bag" is sort of optional... it depends on the situation.
    Throw out all your beer.... white wine is the drink of choice now. Apple-tini's are allowed during the afternoon social gathering (do NOT call it 'happy hour')

Once you've stepped into this role, the pink and purple sparkle knives will fit you perfectly....:cool:

seriously though... I didn't know you had trouble with a collab knife. I would expect perfection from one of those, as well, at the price point they demand.

20. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    I wish Case would offer more single blade Dogleg Jacks (Mini Trappers) with different blade choices and cover materials.
    They do (or did) offer them in a Wharncliffe, and once in a while you can find a single Clip Point, but they are getting so hard to find.